Titanic records (births,deaths & marriages) and white star officers books

sarah1972
sarah1972 Posts: 18,890 Senior Ambassador
Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
edited 17 April 2012 at 5:32PM in Freebies (no spend required)
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/news/titanic-records

Findmypast.co.uk launches new Titanic records

05 April 2012
Today marks the launch of two fascinating sets of records, which include information about the Titanic: Maritime births, marriages and deaths and White Star Line Officers' books. We're thrilled to offer you the most comprehensive collection of Titanic records anywhere online.
Maritime births, marriages and deaths

Search for your ancestors in vivid full colour scans of the original birth, marriage and death records of those associated with maritime occupations, not just ones which took place at sea. These include all Titanic crew members and all Titanic passengers who died at sea.
Until now there has never been a mandatory single centralised register of births, marriages and deaths at sea. Some records were deposited with the General Register Office, some with The National Archives and others elsewhere. Our online collection is published in association with The National Archives and brings together 30 different record types from 10 different record series held at The National Archives.
Search maritime deaths
White Star Line Officers' books

View full colour scans of the original service records of White Star Line officers and commanders, including all the officers on board the Titanic.
edward-smith-titanic.jpg
The records include an original colour scan of Captain Edward Smith's employment record listing all the ships he served on and when. You can see the red ink on his record which tells us he was 'Lost in "Titanic" April 15th, 1912'. View Edward's record on the right – click on the image to enlarge it.
The information for each officer includes: date and place of birth, address, details of his apprenticeship, the names and dates of the ships served upon and the date he left the company.
Ron Warwick, a now-retired former employee (and former ship's captain) of White Star Line, rescued the books as they were being thrown out by the company.
Search White Star Line Officers' books
Search other Titanic records on findmypast.co.uk

As well as these two brilliant sets of records, you can also search for your Titanic ancestors in our passenger lists leaving the UK 1890-1960 and our Merchant Navy Seamen records. You won't find a more comprehensive set of Titanic records anywhere else.

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]
I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• G6JPG
    G6JPG Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Seeing that the Titanic records plug is from FindMyPast, who - with their main competitor Ancestry - are in the records business to make money, I read the post (which I suspect is straight FMP advertising copy) carefully, looking for either the word "free" or any mention of price. I couldn't spot either, though they might have been there and I missed them.

Not that I'm against FMP and Ancestry making a living at this sort of thing (though I have reservations about their prices and some of their rules), but thought I'd mention this in case they aren't free, to prevent any MSE readers getting stung.
  • I've used FMP in the past and all you can do for free is search for names which then appear on a list. If you want to see any detail then you have to start paying.

It's a great site if you're committed to doing a full family history search and are happy to pay for what's on offer, but there's not a lot you can do for free.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    You may find your local library has free access to both FMP & Ancestry UK
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Use this
    encyclopedia-titanica
    dot org
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills