Screen wash in radiator !

Comments

• GEEGEE8
    GEEGEE8 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Expansion tank - now I know what it's called.. :)

Okay, I will do that, I know roughly how much it had in before, so I'll just take some out of that (somehow).. I don't have any pipe to syphon (sp?) it out, was thinking of using a food plastic bag.. lol - unless the whole tank will come out..
    9/70lbs to lose :)
  • spaceman5
    spaceman5 Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    GEEGEE8 wrote: »
    Shall I just take it to Kwik Fit around the corner from me? I have no idea what type of coolant to put in it..

:eek: not unless you are prepared to fork out for new brakes, tyres and exhaust, as they will tell you they all need doing;)
    Take every day as it comes!!
  • GEEGEE8
    spaceman5 wrote: »
    :eek: not unless you are prepared to fork out for new brakes, tyres and exhaust, as they will tell you they all need doing;)

hahaha ;) very very true!

I'll give it a go in the morning, can't be too hard can it? even for a girl.. :D:D
  • jaz_2
    jaz_2 Posts: 139 Forumite
    KeithP wrote: »
    If you like.
    Use some initiative. You have been given some advice. Now carry out the solution.

My, that's a helpful post. I'm sure the OP is delighted that you bothered.

Get a syphon pump from your local car spares shop, they're about £6. The expansion tank has two lines on to denote maximum and minimum fill levels. Syphon the fluid out to until the level is between the two lines. A bit of screenwash isn't going to make a blind bit of difference to your coolant so don't worry any possible contamination issues.

Next time you want to top up the screen wash, there's no shame in asking if you're not sure!
  • GEEGEE8
    haha - thanks, I'm mortified! I've done it loads of times, just thought the book symbol was the screen wipers.. doh!

Glad I'm not the only one that thought Keith was being flippant.. :D

Thanks for advice Jaz.. :)
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A turkey baster would suffice, but I wouldn't use it for cooking afterwards :D

The worst possible thing that could probably happen is if the screenwash reacts with the coolant causing sludge - if the amount was small I doubt this would happen enough to cause any issues.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    GEEGEE8 wrote: »
    haha - thanks, I'm mortified! I've done it loads of times, just thought the book symbol was the screen wipers.. doh!

Glad I'm not the only one that thought Keith was being flippant.. :D

Thanks for advice Jaz.. :)

dont feel bad,I had a mate once put screen wash into the power steering reservoir,of his girlfriends brand new car!
  • GEEGEE8
    Ah well, I'm positively redeemed then :D

It'll give me something exciting to do tomorrow..!
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    I'd leave it.
    One cup of diluted screen wash compared to what's in the engine won't make any difference, and the expansion tank cap will release the pressure and let the excess water blow off the first time the engine heats up.
  • GEEGEE8
    It's a tight screw cap.. I will try and get some water out anyhow as it's really full..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport