Shed Roof Leaking

I bought a shed from a local seller in the summer which we put together ourselves. I did a good job of putting it together and spent a very long time making sure everything went well... today however I have noticed the roof in the center of our shed is damp.

Not sure what the best course of action is?

Comments

• latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    find where the leak is coming from first. If its due to a fault with the shed then the offending part should be replaced. If its from the way its been put together.....
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Is this a metal shed by chance. As metal sheds sweat and you get condensation

If it isnt you need to find out the source of the hole and fix it either with re-felting which is cheap or patch it up with some bitumen mastic again very cheap to do
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm so glad someone else has posted, 'cos my shed roof leaks as well ! It's a wood shed with roofing felt stuff covering the roof and it's leaking where nails - big flat headed ones - have been banged in.
    Will bitumen mastic around the nails stop my leaks ? If so, where would I buy it and do I have to use one of those scary gun things with it.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I am no expert when I re-felted my wooden shed, twice I always left a over lap in the joints to allow for nails

I tub of bitumen mastic (blackspurs) last time I bought it a couple of years back was about £5 for a 1 litre tub it lasts from local handyman store not the diy chains

I use it my my garage felt just to patch up it lasted almost 2 years now. Think its really only temporary job though your better off with new felt it isnt that hard just get some short galvanised nails and some felt and make sure you have a over lap that runs over the previous run so water doesn't seep in and tuck under the roof incline and nail

You can also paint on isoflex rubber type paint too but I think it only lasts a few years before needed doing again, B&Q sell it
  • OddjobKIA
    OddjobKIA Posts: 6,380 Forumite
    It is normally due to seepage under the join in the felt type roof thing that causes most leaks in a shed roof...

The last tine I re-roofed one I put two strips on each side and then one over the ridge....I alos used a staple gun to fix it to the roof rather than nails...

to fix you leak PROPERLY...remove the felting and start again
    THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    I am having trouble with this. How can someone who is capable of erecting a shed and in their own words " making a good job of it". Then not be able to felt the roof so that it does not leak.
    The secret is to have large overlaps and felt nails spaced at no more than 50mm intervals. For belt and braces you can paint between the overlap with roofing felt adhesive which is available from the big sheds. This seals the joint and the nails will be surrounded with waterproof sealant. It is probably a false economy to use the very cheapest felt. I have always found that the green or grey mineral faced stuff is stronger and less likely to tear whilst being applied. In the past I have unrolled the piece of felt that I was using and let it settle overnight. This lets it stretch a bit and it is thus, less likely, to ripple.
    have look here:http://shedthread.blogspot.com/2008/11/felting-roof-of-apex-shed.html. There are many other sites that give information on the subject.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for all your help chaps, especially the info about stuff that doesn't need a gun. I'm a girl so summat I can paint on will be the easiest solution for me. Watch out for the headlines screaming "Pensioner falls off shed roof - no small insects killed !".
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure