paying council tax late

does anyone know what will happen if i pay my council tax 3 days late?

Comments

• You will get a letter from the council telling you to pay immediately. They hate being paid late. I tried to pay mine later.
    Mortgage Free 2016Work Part Time:DHouse Hunting In France 2023
  • vicki_b
    vicki_b Posts: 306 Forumite
    would i really get a letter after 3 days?
  • I suppose it depends what part of the country you are in. We are in Essex and we pay ours by internet banking sometimes up to a week late. We do not normally get a letter until 10 days after a payment is due, You could always ring the account department and tell them your paying it later than normal then at least you covered your back and made contact in the first place.
  • i was just going to ask something along these lines...

i got my annual 08/09 council tax bill today and it tells what the monthly breakdown is. i want to put that money into a savings account each month rather than cardiff council's bank so can i do this and pay it all off next march(09) or do i have to pay them the amount each month?

surely as long as i pay it all off by the end of the year then that's my annual bill settled...

hope someone can answer,
    ukck
  • I'm not sure about that - its a good idea. We didn't didn't pay ours for a couple of months due to personal circumstances which the council were aware of and we got a baliff knocking on our door. Maybe you should just contact your council directly and ask them - maybe you need to prove to them that at the end of the council tax year you will have the lump sum to pay them??

I would love to know the answer.
  • Racklen
    Racklen Posts: 165 Forumite
    its takes about a week in my area as i have so many bill to pay at the 1st of the month i have to straddle them over the foirst week to fit doing them around my job and i refuse to have them all by direct debit i have enough as it is.

try writing to your council and asking about paying annual but they may then demand its paid at the beginning of the year

you dont know if you dont ask
  • It is really unlikely that they will let you pay nothing for the whole of the year because you have a monthly payment plan and you are not keeping to it. You would therefore be defaulting each month. If you ring them and discuss it with them they may be able to change your payment arrangements but you would still have to pay certain parts by a certain date.

My tip if you are going to ring, be really nice as you won't get anything if you are rude to the staff. Sometimes the staff do have some discretion on how things are paid but this will not go in you favour if you are shirty (not that I am suggesting anyone would!). I have paid my council tax over 12 months rather than 10 under 2 different councils on dd. It may not be a big thing but it certainly helped me out when we moved house and were short of money.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    basically, if everyone paid at the end of the year the council would have to borrow the equivalent amount of money for the year which would mean an immediate rise in council tax of between 5-10% over and above the 'normal' rise..... so think about it and how likely they are to agree unless you have exceptional circumstances....
  • vicki_b wrote: »
    does anyone know what will happen if i pay my council tax 3 days late?
    You will most loikely get a fine, £50-£100 if I rememeber rightly. Whether you pay it is up to you, lots of people in my borough get away with it.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    i was just going to ask something along these lines...

i got my annual 08/09 council tax bill today and it tells what the monthly breakdown is. i want to put that money into a savings account each month rather than cardiff council's bank so can i do this and pay it all off next march(09) or do i have to pay them the amount each month?

surely as long as i pay it all off by the end of the year then that's my annual bill settled...

hope someone can answer,
    ukck

The bill is due when you get it, the council can agree to let you pay monthly.
    You could try agreeing not to use roads, schools, police, fire brigade or have your bins emptied until the end of the year !
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure