lets get back to basics... starting with the butcher

Comments

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    In an ideal world i'd like to support my local butcher, my the last time i went (a few weeks ago) it cost £3.89 for 9 sausages!
    Looking on the label of them, it says 55% pork....i can buy cheaper ones from Lidl and i swear they have a higher porkl content than 55%!
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    studies have shown red meat isn't healthy

Individual studies can suggest they cannot show. The overall body of evidence from longitudinal population studies and meta analyses shows that the amount and form of the red meat is highly relevant, official serving sizes are small and we are encouraged to balance that with protein from fish, seafood and dairy, and to a lesser extent eggs, beans and lentils. An awful lot of red meat is eaten in the form of processed additive laden often fatty rubbish - sausages, streaky bacon, burgers, ready meals, cheap mince and so on.

To me that is perfectly logical: if you are eating fatty and processed meat regularly and in overly large portions you are likely eating too many calories overall OR not 'spending' enough calories on other healthy foods like fruit, vegetables, oily fish and other seafood.

Humans evolved eating other living creatures but a much different balance of fats and protein than today - far more oily fish, molluscs, offal/ organs, lean game meat, bone marrow. The balance of long chain omega-3s to saturated fatty acids and omega-6s would have been totally different to eating the fattiest cuts of grain fed farmed pork and beef.

Just claiming that red meat is unhealthy is like claiming all forms of all grains in all quantities are unhealthy, based on the effects of a Western diet reliant on large servings of highly processed super finely ground modern wheat (cakes, biscuits, commercial bread, white pasta, sugary cereals). Disingenuous or uninformed.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    Can't beat a good butchers. I've left drool down the windows of manys a one just staring in at the produce.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Meadows wrote: »
    Yep certainly is a sermon and I think most are quite capable of shopping wisely.
    !

I'm not sure what you are basing that claim on. Certainly, significant numbers of posts on this forum show that shoppers are often intimidated by the thought of going into a butcher's shop because they have never done it, or been told how to shop for meat in anything other than sealed, plastic packages from a supermarket.

And if that's true of people posting here (who by definition care about food shopping) it's likely to be even truer of the public at large.

I think Cooltrikerchick has made a valid point with a helpful thread.
  • Edwina...

I do not keep talking about my pigs/land on the food forum, like you mention your pork insident at a supermarket that made you go organic, you mention it practically in EVERY thread on the food forum, and to be honest.. it feels as though you are pushing it down people's throats in every thread. I mainly talk about them in a dedicated thread in the green fingered board.

I started this thread, as there has been a few threads started over the years about people who have never used a butcher, but who wanted too, and either didnt know what to ask for, or were a bit nervous about going in...

This thread isnt about buying organic, or even local , its about, as the title says getting back to basics, and actually going in and knowing what to ask for and expect in a butchers., and then people can decide

It is sooooooooooooooo easy to think and say people should know this anyway, but its not.....

If this thread ( amoungst the negativity )has given 1 mse'r the courage OR any info to help them use a butcher, then I am over the moon....

The beef I buy isnt local welsh beef, I buy scotish beef, as its fantastic, and cheaper than welsh black
    Work to live= not live to work
  • GlynD
    I really don't see why anyone should be intimidated by going into a butchers. The shop wants to sell you stuff, just go in and ask, the same as you would in any other shop. There's no shame in it.

Of course I'm generalising here and in writing this I recall the young landy who asked me once how to cook potatoes I was buying in a supermarket. She had never seen them prepared from the natural product. That made me sad for humanity in the UK. To think that that girl's mother didn't show her how to peel and boil a spud!
  • studies have shown red meat isn't healthy

Apparently neither is breathing. Every breath you take moves you closer to death. Oh and if you stop breathing that's not good either so don't panic buy!
  • GlynD
    Edwina...

I do not keep talking about my pigs/land on the food forum, like you mention your pork insident at a supermarket that made you go organic, you mention it practically in EVERY thread on the food forum, and to be honest.. it feels as though you are pushing it down people's throats in every thread. I mainly talk about them in a dedicated thread in the green fingered board.

I started this thread, as there has been a few threads started over the years about people who have never used a butcher, but who wanted too, and either didnt know what to ask for, or were a bit nervous about going in...

This thread isnt about buying organic, or even local , its about, as the title says getting back to basics, and actually going in and knowing what to ask for and expect in a butchers., and then people can decide

It is sooooooooooooooo easy to think and say people should know this anyway, but its not.....

If this thread ( amoungst the negativity )has given 1 mse'r the courage OR any info to help them use a butcher, then I am over the moon....

The beef I buy isnt local welsh beef, I buy scotish beef, as its fantastic, and cheaper than welsh black

So you keep pigs? What a fantastic animal to rear. So useful in terms of what can be produced. As the Germans say; the only part of a pig you can't eat is the squeal! :p
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    GlynD wrote: »
    I really don't see why anyone should be intimidated by going into a butchers. The shop wants to sell you stuff, just go in and ask, the same as you would in any other shop. There's no shame in it.

People get embarrassed easily, I suppose. You're right, of course. shoppers have no need to be, but many are.
    GlynD wrote: »
    Of course I'm generalising here and in writing this I recall the young landy who asked me once how to cook potatoes I was buying in a supermarket. She had never seen them prepared from the natural product. That made me sad for humanity in the UK. To think that that girl's mother didn't show her how to peel and boil a spud!

On a similar note a young relative stared in wonder at my mother a few years ago, asking her what she was doing ... as she first boiled and then mashed potatoes. He had never seen anyone do that before. He thought mashed potato came in a packet.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    COOLTRICKERCHICK, many people are using supermarkets because its easier and cheaper. Some people don't have the time to go to the butcher in the town centre, it saves time getting all there food at the supermarket.

ps who is Edwina :huh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport