PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dropped Kerb

Comments

• dekh
    dekh Posts: 237 Forumite
    North Tyneside Council quoted me £1400 for a double dropped kirb.

However, get the council to come talk to you. Get the spec they require for the kirb and the path between the kirb and your drive. You can then get it done privately but the builder has to supply a copy of their Public Liability Insurance Certificate and do it to Council specs and give proper notice.

At least in North Tyneside - quotes I'm getting so far £700.
    :think:
  • Addy1
    Addy1 Posts: 209 Forumite
    I think we will put in an offer on the house regardless, and then ask the council once we have moved in and got settled, as their seems to be such a range of prices!
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I got mine done 2 years ago by a council approved contractor. I was £2000 which included lock-blocking the front of the house. £420 of that was for dropping the kerb. My cousin lives nearby and she got a quote from another contractor for a dropped kerb only, and she was quoted £800.
  • Addy1
    £420 sounds more reasonable
    I can get a friend to pave the driveway cheaply, but want to go down the official council route for the kerb part!
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    When you go down to the council to seek permission (that cost us £30, someone comes up and has a look at the pavement, that's all), they should be able to give you a list of approved contractors.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I seem to remember that a colleague had to pay around the £1000 mark to get his done, but the biggest problem was the council kicking up a fuss about the change of use of the land i.e. a front garden into a parking space, and it too a LONG time to prove that it was like that when he bought it 3 months previously. For a while they wanted him to convert it back into garden, but eventually they agreed to the parking space and dropped curb.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Addy1
    I have a feeling it won't be a problem as about half the houses on the street have driveways, but it is useful to know.
  • Also ask your council if they are planning in the near future to replace the pavements.

Our council were doing this and did a leaflet drop asking if we wanted a dropped kerb when the work started at a reduced rate. We got ours done for £158, as the workman were replacing all the paving slabs and kerb stones anyway.

They may have no plans, but always worth asking the question. You may have to wait a while till the work starts, but the saving will be of a benefit, when you eventually lay out for the drive.
    Financial Aims for 2012:
    1. To pay off Car loan (£2,163.85 / £300.23 : 13.9%) 2. To pay off Joint OD ([STRIKE]£1,928.53[/STRIKE] / £1,928.53 : 100%) 3. To pay off GF's CC (£1100.31 / £0 : 0%) 4. To OP Mortgage (£1000 / £0 : 0%)

Money Saving / Making in 2012:
    1. Ebay (£0 ) 2. Surveys (£0 ) 3. Quidco (£156.45 (Feb 12) ) 4. Lottery (£0 ) 5. Groceries (£0 )
  • I was really lucky I think. 20 years ago when I moved in I put some slabs on my front garden to park the car on and just drove up the kerb, and the neighbours. all did the same. A few years later the council were doing some work on the road and just put dropped kerbs in front of all the houses. Never asked for any money either.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • poppyolivia
    poppyolivia Posts: 2,976 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you get someone to do it for you other than the council, the council still have to sign it off so they can 'adopt' it....if they dont sign it off it is your resposibilty to keep it in ship shape.you are also liable if anyone trips, falls on it.
    You may walk and you may run
    You leave your footprints all around the sun
    And every time the storm and the soul wars come
    You just keep on walking
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business