Holidays & job seekers allowance

Comments

• marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Just ask them for the UP30 form and you are covered ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    marleyboy wrote: »

Why are you quoting the irish benefit system? As far as I remember we are in the UK.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The same rule applies in the UK
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    marleyboy wrote: »

Thats useful to have.

One thing I notice - I wondered why it was headed as being from the "Department for Social Protection" - and I guess that means it's something from Ireland (Southern Ireland maybe?).

So - just in case of someone encountering a "know nothing" in the DWP who wouldnt take an Irish website as applying to England/Scotland/Wales - does anyone have a link to the like site under the DWP "banner"?
  • ceridwen wrote: »
    Thats useful to have.

One thing I notice - I wondered why it was headed as being from the "Department for Social Protection" - and I guess that means it's something from Ireland (Southern Ireland maybe?).

So - just in case of someone encountering a "know nothing" in the DWP who wouldnt take an Irish website as applying to England/Scotland/Wales - does anyone have a link to the like site under the DWP "banner"?

This is what happens when Google goes bad! I don't doubt that the UK benefit rules are the same, but I wish people would properly check the facts before posting random websites to different country's benefit systems.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I do not believe the UK system is the same as the Southern Irish one. The UK certainly did not pay JSA during overseas holidays in 2001 and I hardly see the rules being relaxed over the last ten years.
  • dseventy
    dseventy Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    You can't claim JSA and go abroad, you need to sign off and do a rapid-reclaim when you get back.

You can claim and holiday on the UK. You need to give advance warning, provide contact numbers and be prepared to travel back if the JC+ find you something.

D70
    How about no longer being masochistic?
    How about remembering your divinity?
    How about unabashedly bawling your eyes out?
    How about not equating death with stopping?
  • CCFC_80
    CCFC_80 Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    Just to echo the above comment, unless the rules have changed over the past couple of months you would have to close your claim going abroad even if it's for just a day.Then you would need to make a rapid reclaim for JSA on your return.
  • cassieB57
    cassieB57 Posts: 506 Forumite
    andy46 wrote: »
    Just to echo the above comment, unless the rules have changed over the past couple of months you would have to close your claim going abroad even if it's for just a day.Then you would need to make a rapid reclaim for JSA on your return.

Although I agree most of this post is correct, you do not have to sign off if only abroad for one day-this is because you are treated as being in GB on the day you leave and the day you return; therefore if you went on Monday and came back the Tuesday for example, you'd be treated as still in Gb on both days. Note: this rule does not apply if you have a partner for whom your JSA includes a pensioner or disability premium, nor does it apply to attending an interview abroad, or taking a child abroad for medical treatment.
  • cassieB57
    cassieB57 Posts: 506 Forumite
    Terence123 wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone can give me any advice I am on JSA & have been for some years we have had a rough year two close family bereavements & my wife diagnosed with a severe lung problem. My daughters have clubbed together for a weeks holiday in Cornwall for us but it is on the week I sign.
    I am at my wits end trying to find out what to do it is paid for (a surprise) so we can't change it but we can not afford to loose benefits.
    Could anyone offer any advice my daughter says to phone & say I'm sick but I am very worried about that any advice?
    This lovely gift is now turning into a real stressful event.
    Thank you

you should tell the JC before you go; you will have to fill in a form stating where you are staying, how you can be contacted, whether you are available forwork and whether you will be doing any jobsearch. You will have to attend the Jobcentre on the first working day after you return, and if you are away on your signing day, will not be paid until you have returned and signed on. You MUST be available for work, ie willing AND able to return to take up a job opportunity (most people obviously would be!) but can be excused jobsearch for a maximum of 2 benefit weeks in a 12 month period. If you have more than 2 weeks holiday, then you must show some jobsearch activity for the other week/s.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure