Should I pay back a deposit left for my car?

2»

Comments

• Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    I personally think its entirely reasonable of him wanting to deal with the RK. All the literature says to do this at their home address to avoid scams and frauds.

I personally think you have no entitlement to keep the deposit as his request is perfectly reasonable and fair.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Wait till you sell the car and then decide.

If you lose out then deduct any costs from the £200 and itemise it out for him.

If you make on the deal - then give him back his £200

seemples.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Would Arnold Clark give him his £200 back?
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Would Arnold Clark give him his £200 back?

I think in the circumstances they were trying to sell a car they couldnt prove they owned then yes.
  • Anihilator wrote: »
    I think in the circumstances they were trying to sell a car they couldnt prove they owned then yes.

I'm thinking the guy was happy enough to leave the deposit with someone who wasnt on the registration document, whats changed?
  • hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Anihilator wrote: »

how do you prove you own the car??

and why do people make so much fuss about the registration document:confused:
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • far2812
    far2812 Posts: 919
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone for your advice.

I have offered him a copy of my passport etc but he just seemed to have changed his mind and used the excuse that my partner isn't here at the moment.

I did explain that to him when he left the deposit and said that I would have my partner sign the log book!

To be honest, when he left the deposit he said it would be a couple of days before the cheque cleared in his account - then this just went on and on until this morning when he said that he wanted to do the transaction with my partner!!!

He has asked about the deposit and I left it open saying I need to speak to my partner!

I think McKneff is right - I will wait until the car sells and if I lose, then he loses..........I think that's only fair.!
    Total Quidco earnings - £547.98

Everyone is scared of someone or something, everyone loves someone or something, and everyone has lost someone or something! BE NICE!
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,739
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Is your partner not likely to be around anytime soon?
  • far2812
    far2812 Posts: 919
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Well he has been posted down South on a big building job and the plan was for him to stay down there for a few weeks (saves spending money on travelling) and he gets double time for overtime!

If it was worth it - he would come home - but just to come home to show his face doesn't seem valid reason enough really!
    Total Quidco earnings - £547.98

Everyone is scared of someone or something, everyone loves someone or something, and everyone has lost someone or something! BE NICE!
  • I'd want to deal with the owner who is presumably the regd keeper of the car too.

You may well know that you are a straight person to deal with, the officer involved doesn't.

Police officers do have to be seen to be acting completely above board too.

Difficult one really, if your partner was 2000 miles away i could understand the reluctance to return to complete the deal.

I think you must put yourself in the officer's shoes for a moment and see things from his perspective too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure