Funding a second undergrad degree

2»

Comments

• mark1024
    mark1024 Posts: 174 Forumite
    well the change in funding does only apply to second undergrad degrees. whilst it isn't ideal, i do think it's fairer to push all the money they have into more access to first degrees

Problem is it removes the possibility of re-training later in life, and clearly goes against the government commitment to lifelong learning. This harms undergraduate studies by removing the mix of mature students' experience, especially in the arts and humanities. This irrationality is clear from the fact that foundation degrees are excluded. I can, and indeed have applied for a couple of these on my uccas application this year, as they are excluded from the cuts. So why are they excluded ? In my proposed field of study they are generally offered by further education colleges and community colleges, who are gearing up to offering higher education.
    So this part of the push to increase the numbers in higher education is basically widening the scope of the institutions offering such studies. Without wishing to sound too derogatory, a FE college is not a university, and will not offer the same learning experience. A hundred million saved unfortunately does not go a long way to increasing opportunities for school leavers, but conversely does a great deal of harm.

This cut in funding has been brought in so far under the radar and without proper consultation most people are completely ignorant, and may receive a shock when they eventually hear about fees.

Anyway, that is my opinion, but this forum is probably more useful providing information that opinions, and for many people this year brings the bad news that their dreams of re-training have been swept away.
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    but surely if it is retraining that a person wanted, then they can in fact pay to to it part time, or their workplace would fund it???

i'm studying part time with the OU, funding it myself (probably why i still have my student OD), but my workplace does fund it's employees to do all sorts of courses, includind degrees, and masters'...

i have to say that i agree with melancholly, that more money should be ploughed into getting people their first degrees... i also agree that it seems unfair that a government who went to uni with grants not fees changed it for the worse for the rest of us...

maybe the fact that a person only gets to do one degree with help should be pointed out to people before they enroll at uni, as it might make people think before choosing. b(i'm sure cling on is really useful, but probably dosesn't do much for your job prospects...)

and look on the bright side, at least you'd get help in your third year which would ease the burden a bit, as all students are entitled to 3+1 years... (i unfortunately couldn't afford the first 2 years to get to number 3), and so had to settle for second best with the OU. not that i regret it, got some really good marks last year (got a 91!!!!) i nearly wet myself!!!!

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    nimbo wrote: »

i also agree that it seems unfair that a government who went to uni with grants not fees changed it for the worse for the rest of us...

But, as I said, there were NO second chances in those days; you got one chance and that was it! Also worth remembering that about 4 times the proportion of the population goes to university nowadays, compared with then and if your parents weren't poor you got NO maintenence support if they didn't keep you. People who complain should wonder whether they might be one of the 3 in 10 people who go to university now who would not have been able to go if they had been born earlier.

Having said that, I do wish that people didn't have to pay fees but then I think that university numbers have been overexpanded which is the subject of another thread.
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    There is lots of mature students who haven't been for the first time yet! Funding should surely be aimed at them before those who are going for the second time?

I don't agree with fees at all tbh, but as we have them, it seems absolutely right that any available funding goes to those who have not had a first chance yet.

I agree the increased fees have been introduced on the quiet but we should be used to that tactic by now!
  • mark1024
    mark1024 Posts: 174 Forumite
    Well a few points were raised;

Firstly part time degrees generally cost the same as full time, and so will increase in cost as well. £35,000 over six years instead of three. This is why Birkbeck college is campaigning against the changes, their degrees being predominantly part time. Also part time does not suit everyone; some of us find it difficult to tackle demanding study late into the evening.

Most employers do not fund degrees. I barely had any paid for training in my last career because I was too busy, and despite good intention, could not afford to be out of the office. Employers are also less likely to fund anything not focussed on their business.

There are many subjects for which the open university does not offer the same facilities as a regular college. No day to day science labs, no art studios, not even daily arguments in the common room.

Who said funding for first time students should not have priority over second timers ? The point here is that there will be absolutely no funding for the later. I guess it depends whether you value life long learning, and how you measure the benefit to society, through better work prospects as well as general education. I am talking about education, which is not the same thing as training.

At the end of the day people will differ in opinion about worthwhile funding, but for those seeking a second degree the key point is to get your skates on, as things are changing.
  • jay11_2
    jay11_2 Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    mark1024 wrote: »
    Well a few points were raised;

Firstly part time degrees generally cost the same as full time, and so will increase in cost as well. £35,000 over six years instead of three. This is why Birkbeck college is campaigning against the changes, their degrees being predominantly part time. Also part time does not suit everyone; some of us find it difficult to tackle demanding study late into the evening.

Most employers do not fund degrees. I barely had any paid for training in my last career because I was too busy, and despite good intention, could not afford to be out of the office. Employers are also less likely to fund anything not focussed on their business.

There are many subjects for which the open university does not offer the same facilities as a regular college. No day to day science labs, no art studios, not even daily arguments in the common room.

Who said funding for first time students should not have priority over second timers ? The point here is that there will be absolutely no funding for the later. I guess it depends whether you value life long learning, and how you measure the benefit to society, through better work prospects as well as general education. I am talking about education, which is not the same thing as training.

At the end of the day people will differ in opinion about worthwhile funding, but for those seeking a second degree the key point is to get your skates on, as things are changing.

That's not completley true, we do have quite generous funding for vocations where there's a shortage, such as some NHS and teaching posts. Presumably many other career changes will ultimately lead to increased income for the student. Therefore why shouldn't they pay extra for it if it allows others a first chance.

As for not being cut out to study late into the evenings, surely it depends how much people want the qualification. I'm a mature student with family, etc, doing a first degree and working, there was no way whatsoever for me to go to uni when I was young (which would have been free), due to family circumstances. However, I want this so much that I study late evenings AND early mornings. It's my choice and my passion, so I'll work as hard as necessary, tired or not.

Nb. I also don't agree with funding per se, but I do believe in fairness and if that's what it takes...
    Anytime;)
  • Oldernotwiser
    Worth considering as well; the government doesn't fund changing careers at a less academic level either. If you have, say, an NVQ2 in Hairdressing you won't get funded 10 years later if you want to do an NVQ2 in plumbing. Same thing applies at level 3. You may not like it but at least it's consistent.
  • jay11_2
    That's true, I remember that about A-levels, and seem to remember that you can't get funding for a qualification at a lower level than others you have, too. It feels unfair if you're in that position, but at least it's cheaper here than in some other countries. As funding isn't unlimited, it does seem fairest if everyone gets one chance at each level, it's the change that's hard and unexpected for those who possibly didn't put much thought into choosing a first degree. Life's never fair. You Ok oldernotwiser?
    Anytime;)
  • Oldernotwiser
    jay11 wrote: »
    You Ok oldernotwiser?

Fine thanks, and yourself?
  • jay11_2
    Fine thanks, and yourself?

Not too great, not too bad, thanks
    Anytime;)
This discussion has been closed.