dilemma with older dog

Comments

• Really, I think the castration debate could be moved to another thread, the OP is going through a difficult time and could use some support.

Let your dog tell you when he is ready to go. You know him best and can tell if he is unhappy.

My dog died about a month ago and he took a piece of my soul with him. I loved him more than anything and that is why I did what was best for him, not what was best for me.

All the best, whatever you decide to do.
  • Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Better a week too early to put to sleep than a day too late. My mum's old dog was left too late in my opinion and suffered horribly in the last few weeks :(
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Better a week too early to put to sleep than a day too late. My mum's old dog was left too late in my opinion and suffered horribly in the last few weeks :(

It's always a huge dilemma. I tried desperately to save my last dog after the vet said he couldn't find anything wrong with him despite numerous tests, scans and xrays.

He was referred to a veterinary teaching facility where more sophisticated testing discovered he'd had a massive tumour on his spleen which had ruptured and was filling his abdomen with blood. He had other tumours in other areas too.

Had I known this I would never have put him through that last week of his life - because he DID suffer. I would have let him go gently a week earlier. He suffered because I would have done anything to keep him with me and I now can't believe how selfish I was.:(
  • needsomecash
    needsomecash Posts: 31 Forumite
    Hi All

Thanks again for the help and responses.

Just an update.

After we had decided that it would be better for him to go to sleep before the kennels he got a lot better!!

He still has bad legs and falls over but he still runs around the garden just not as long! We have had no accidents in the night. He has gone back to eating regular food and although he still drinks a lot of water, he has been like this for years. The bleeding has also suddenly stopped again.

He did have a bad day at the weekend where he didnt eat, wouldnt get up but it was the very warm day. The nexy day he was fine again.

He went to the vets last night and even he said he is a different dog to what we bought it before. He watched him walk outside, he was pulling on the lead and was happier than before. His weight has gone up slightly as well.

The vet said looking at him now he is not ready to go yet and there wouldnt be reason to. He said maybe the metacam has took the edge of the pain and has given him a better quality of life. His problems are age related and cant be fixed so it would be better to see how things go for a while. The vet said if it was his dog and seeing how he is now, he would be happy to put him into kennels rather than to sleep.

We are going to see how it goes until the start of july. We will monitor the good/bad days and take it from there.
  • Sorry if I've missed this, but what supplements are you giving him? (Ie. in addition to the metacam).

My 11 year-old gets monthly Cartrophen injections (we do them at home with a check up every few months), cortavet in her morning food, fish oil (with a very small amount of vit E) in both morning and evening meals, and we've just started her on green lipped mussel. Someone upthread also mentioned devil's claw, I think. Anyway, as long as you're monitoring for general age-related deterioration, I'd see no harm in trying a supplement or two to see if they help his joints.
  • needsomecash
    needsomecash Posts: 31 Forumite
    Hi

So far he has only had the metacam.

I will look into the other supplements as well though.
  • Celli
    Celli Posts: 184 Forumite
    zaksmum wrote: »
    It's always a huge dilemma. I tried desperately to save my last dog after the vet said he couldn't find anything wrong with him despite numerous tests, scans and xrays.

He was referred to a veterinary teaching facility where more sophisticated testing discovered he'd had a massive tumour on his spleen which had ruptured and was filling his abdomen with blood. He had other tumours in other areas too.

Had I known this I would never have put him through that last week of his life - because he DID suffer. I would have let him go gently a week earlier. He suffered because I would have done anything to keep him with me and I now can't believe how selfish I was.:(

Easier said than done, but don't beat yourself up about it, you tried to do the best thing for your friend, you couldn't possibly have known the outcome. If you had had him pts without the investigation, you'd be tearing yourself to bits thinking you hadn't done enough.

Glad the OP's old boy has rallied a bit, long may it last :)
  • Rottensocks
    Rottensocks Posts: 295 Forumite
    I lost my collie/GSD cross at a similar age a few months ago. It is devastating having to 'name the day' for your pet, but in the end I had to: he was staggering and not really eating, so it simply wasn't a nice life for him: no walks, no scoffing!

Be aware that Metacam can upset their tummy ( like aspirin it can cause a bit of bleeding etc) so watch out for loss of appetite, or bloody/sore bum. My old boy didn't 'agree' with Metacam at all.

Also, be aware that it is only pain relief, so although doggie feels better for now, you are still going to have ot name the day sometime soon. I'm sorry, as I know how hard it is. x
  • try something with glucosamine like Vetzyme Flexible Joint. i've been giving my old dog 1 tablet every day because he has really stiff back legs. it seems to help
  • Hi,

Thanks all for the advice.

Since we have been the vets and he was a lot better he has gone up/ down again.

He had sickness and the runs for a few days, he also didnt eat during this. His back legs give in virtually everytime he walks around and the slightest gust of wind will knock him over.

He has also had the 'bleeding' for the last week and a half - blood drips out of him and after he has got up from lying down there is normally blood around him.

He does sleep a lot although this isnt unusual in the heat probably normal. On the upside he has started to eat again and he still plays with the other dog, he just falls over while doing it.

We have the vets again at the end of month but if he gets worse I will call them out. Although I think he could go on for a few more months it may be kinder to let him go on the next visit.

It sounds weird but I had a dream last night that I found him in a large pool of blood and he could no longer stand up and we had to call out the vet to put him to sleep there and then. I certainly wouldnt want that dream to come true!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure