PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Anyone else having problem with Aldi Washing powder?

Comments

• CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    I've recently switched to Aldi powder. Not so much bothered about the smell because I shove half a hundred weight of fabric conditioner in the drawer anyway !!!!

I've had exactly the same problem. I'd say its about 1/3 to 1/2 that stays behind in the drawer. I leave the drawer open to let it dry then break it up with my fingers and flatten it down. I think the problem with me is if I pour it in the drawer so it goes like a mound shape and then can't go down. Having said that tho, I've not changed my pouring technique and had no problems with Persil for years, just had a problem with the price !
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • kazmeister
    kazmeister Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I use Aldi washing powder and dont have problems. However when we bought our new washing machine we got it through a little local shop who came in and fitted it. He made me put a 'load'on there and then so he could see how much powder I was using. I put the said amount indicated into the cup ready to put into the drawer and he told me to halve it! I questioned this and he said really you only need a small amount to get the clothes clean and the rest juct clogs up the machine. Same with fabric conditioner. Have stuck to his rule and never had a problem in the drawer or with dirty clothes. Oh and he also said the gel from the liquitabs type clogs machines too over a period of time. HTH
    Mortgage, we're getting there with the end in sight £6587 07/23, otherwise free of the debt thanks to MSE help!
  • I've not used Aldi nom bio, usually use the bio powder for whites and their coloured powder and not had any problems with either of them. But if you are having problems with it (and another poster is too) then I would take it to the store and let them know, I am sure they will refund or replace. I know they offer a 60 day money back guarantee if you aren't happy with a product, not sure if they insist on seeing a receipt (it is clear that it's an Aldi product). I have taken things back when I haven't kept the receipt (including fruit/veg that's gone funny within a day of buying it) and it's never been a problem.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Stick the powder in the drum and not the drawer. I never use the drawer as i hate gunky drawers.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm sure there have been several posts about this over the last little while - it does smell lovely but doesn't seem to dissolve at lower temperatures.
    I think I also read that putting it in the drum didn't help as some people were left with a residue on clothes.
    Could you dissolve it into a jug of hot water first & then pour it in?
  • Same problem and with the Lavender Aldi powder, at least half left in drawer and then when I put it directly into drum the clothes all came out with white powder marks on them. The clothes and machine also smelt well....yuck!

Have now changed to Daz, still using Aldi Lavender conditioner though, but will reduce the amount after reading posts!

Roll on summer when we can get clothes back on the line for that just washed smell...!
  • dianasnan
    dianasnan Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    yes it was the lavender one and it didn't dissolve in the drum either, just migrated to the glass at the front in one lump. Oddly this didn't happen with the previous box so might be a dodgy box. I decant mine into a large container so can't take it back.
    The new box of Daz dissolved straight away in the drawer.
  • No problem here with Aldi Washing Powder. I use the Bio one and put half the recommended amount in the drawer and usually wash at 30 or 40degrees "quick wash". I used to use Daz, but switched to the Aldi one a few months back .. this box I'm using I bought only last week. Not tried the lavender one though.
    Normal people worry me.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2012 at 5:31PM
    Thanks so much for all the replies.
    I do use probably half the recommended amount, so that isn't it.
    I also wash everything now at 60 degrees, as advised by the allergy clinic because of the kids eczema, so that's not an issue either.
    I have just done a wash where I put a small scoopful into the drum, so will have a look and see if there is residue.
    Because I'm not the only one, I am going to ring Aldi and let them know. Can't email unfortunately, only write or ring. Will report back and tell you what they say.
    Someone needs to remind me to ring them Monday as they are shut at the weekend. Actually, I may just write, so watch this space!!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Please DO post back Rosie. I'm having the same problem of it sticking in the dispenser. I *THINK* a possible solution is to use less, but would be interested in Aldi's reply to you.
    Thanks for posting
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport