PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Comments

• It has to be! I am almost drowning in children's toys. Any ideas on best place to sell? Car boot sales always very disappointing! Ebay always involves long post office queues. Is Gumtree the way forward? Any other ideas?
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Lilyplonk. I have a rest to look forward to after the 15th (this challenge finishes). Doing flylady is really helping now. Although I won't be able to flylady two of the worst areas. But hey they will be in time.

Flylady in the kitchen today. I have surfaces now. I didn't know that I did! And a floor.

51. 52. Packaging
    53. Tray (CS)
    54. Recycling (loads of bottles and jars knocking around)
    55. Cake decoration

Feeling quite tired so definitely need to take a rest. I'm trying to build my strength up and sometimes it's not til your too tired that you realise it. Baby steps and all that.
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Feeling quite tired so definitely need to take a rest. I'm trying to build my strength up and sometimes it's not til your too tired that you realise it. Baby steps and all that.

Mineallmine, hope you are feeling less tired soon. When I am feeling like that I tend not to do any decluttering since I am not getting much done anyway. Or if do, it will be a small task with baby steps as you say.
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Hi ladies - has anybody on this thread any experience of selling via Gumtree? I've just listed an item that's way too good to throw out/freecycle/charity shop, but I've never used it before.

Just wondering now if it was such a good idea :undecided.

I've never sold anything via Ebay/Amazon because I've never fancied with messing around with postage and/or paypal etc.
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Becky2. Anything else I do today will be things like sorting through a bag sitting down :)

Lilyplonk yes it's a good idea to pass on the foundation. I tried that one (an Avon one) and the rep had clearly opened it as there was splodges on the tube before I'd used it. So I was a bit peeved about that. And then when I did use it I didn't get on with it. So why keep it??!! If a friend doesn't want it, CSs accept them as a tube is hygienic :)

Well my CS efforts paid off today. I managed to pick up a sewing machine today for £20 which Argos sells for over £100! Very pleased. It has none of the accessories so I'm working my way through to work out whats missing. Karma is paying me back at long last :)
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • Another 6 jobs finished - bins are fuller - and other things added to the list. Two tasks in the morning will mean more out of the house. Also 2 decisions made about issues I'd been dithering on. One thing will be going. One thing coming in, but it will improve storage of items that need to stay.

Have a peaceful evening.
  • Lilyplonk wrote: »
    Hey, loopychriss, looking after the next generation is the best reason on earth for NOT getting on with housework :j - and well done on chucking out those two pens - why do we continue to just put them back in with all the others when we KNOW that they don't work shrug.gif.
    Thank you Lily, I hadn't thought of it like that. I suppose I try to be superwoman by trying to look after her and do everything else as well. I managed it when my 2 were that age, so why not now? Then I realised: I was 30 years younger then!!! As for the pens - I think they had been put back in the drawer previously when they didn't work, it was easier than taking them out to the garage to put in the bin!
    Flylady in the kitchen today. I have surfaces now. I didn't know that I did! And a floor.
    Yes, you need to take it a step at a time, otherwise it gets too overwhelming. And Congratulations on finding the surfaces and floor!
    Well my CS efforts paid off today. I managed to pick up a sewing machine today for £20 which Argos sells for over £100! Very pleased. It has none of the accessories so I'm working my way through to work out whats missing. Karma is paying me back at long last :)
    That was a bargain find mineallmine: hope you find the accessories soon and can get cracking on the sewing. (Best save it till after the decluttering though as I find I get distracted by the sewing and ignore the decluttering!)

Done a little bit of tidying today, but what I really need to do is tackle the 'To Do' list. If I get all the jobs done that are on my list, then the stuff that's lying around will naturally be disposed of/put in new homes tidily. It's just getting around to it....

Today's:

9 & 10 Two indoor plants that wilted and died. Don't know why I persist in trying to keep them, they always die on me. Compost bin.
    11. Balloons from the quiz night that have deflated - bin
    12. Hat that is now too small for my grandson - charity bag
    13. Remains of a bag of mini poppadums from Saturday night: [STRIKE]put on[/STRIKE] eaten on way to birdtable

Jobs achieved today:

6 Christmas cards written and posted
    Piece of hardboard put in fireplace to stop the draught from the open chimney
    Hob top cleaned
    Kitchen floor hoovered

Plus every time I go into the bathroom I give a bit of the shower stall a clean. It's been neglected for a couple of weeks and is beginning to get grubby again, so I'm tackling it one bit at a time. As you say, baby steps.

So.... better stop rambling now and get on with some more jobs on my list! Or not.....
    Keep Calm and Carry On Kondoing

• Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    edited 4 December 2012 at 11:29PM
    Evening all :D

Hope your children had a good playdate, happytails and that you managed to get your 'planning' done on the return journey :j.

That's a great idea about toiletries, Becky2. We've got a Residential Unit for Homeless Families close to where I live - I could do something similar for there. Most people send toys for the children - I'm sure the mums and teens would appreciate toiletries. :T for that tip.

Good Luck with selling the unwanted children's toys, ThriftyMummy - I've latched onto your idea about Gumtree to try to sell an unused Tefal Steamer. Fingers crossed. Do you know of anywhere that mums can exchange toys that are no longer used - Mother & Toddler Club for instance shrug.gif.

Make sure you don't do too much, mineallmine - you won't be any use to the family OR yourself if you overdo things. I copied your idea of doing something 'sitting down' earlier. I had lots of little 'addresses' ripped from letters/envelopes etc - so, while watching Jeremy Kyle, I grabbed a pair of nail scissors and snipped them into diagonal strips and threw the remains in the rubbish :j. Congrats on your CS find - what a bargain :T!

Well done on finishing a couple of tasks, silentsister :) - and storage coming in definitely has to count as 'a decluttering effort' ;).

Love the idea of doing the shower a bit at a time, loopychriss - I really should keep my steam cleaner upstairs, it would make jobs like that so much easier. Seeing as mine needs doing when we move out, I'm afraid I'm putting it off altogether at the moment :o. You're so right about thinking we can do all kinds where the 'littlies' are concerned - and always forgetting how much older we are now than we were back then. I'm same as you - it's 30+yrs since I was looking after my own youngest :rotfl:.

I've had a very productive afternoon - lots of sorting, chucking, recycling and kitchen items packed! Feels as though I can now see some progress in the kitchen at least :rotfl:.

More paper into the Recycling - mostly Training Courses/Manuals etc. Some confidential stuff put through the shredder. The folders/plastic pockets that it was all in have now gone into the Stationery Box and are all nice and tidy :D.

OH has finally bagged and removed some of his excess clothing and some books to his friend 'Mr Market Trader' - made £30 today :T! He didn't come home till around 6.00 - so I think he went looking for my christmas prezzie while he was out :D.

I've been having a 'candle using up day' - curtains were pulled across at 3.30 because it was so dull, miserable, dark and cold. With the candles burning and the flame effect switched on, the place felt lovely and warm :). Also melted a Vanilla Wax Tart (for the fourth time!), but it's still got lots of fragrance left in it.

Used up the remaining Pea & Ham Soup from the weekend. I paid £2.50 for a Ham Shank. It made a huge amount of 'Shank Stew' - with half the stock removed and the addition of onions, carrots, leeks, swede, potatoes, soup/broth mix. The remaining stock had dried peas, another leek and onions added to it for the Pea & Ham Soup. Reckon we've well had our money's worth out of that shank :rotfl:.

Had a fridge drawer clear out too. Pile of Salad stuff had to be thrown into the Food Waste Bin - I'd forgotten all about it when I came back home and it was past it's best. It's been too cold for salads :(. There's a couple of leeks, a couple of pounds of carrots, half a head of celery and half a swede left at the moment. Methinks I can see some Veg Soup getting made tomorrow morning :drool:.

Can't see much decluttering getting done tomorrow - I'm at the GP at midday for a BP check. Then I've got the Flat viewing at 2.00 - and while I'm up there, I can collect a Keyboard that I've Reserved Online from Argos for dgd2 - will be getting paid for via voucher that I've got, so money-saving in the process :T.

Now I need to go and do some 'freezer diving' to see what I can dig out for tomorrow's evening meal - think there's some Sweet Chilli Turkey Mince lurking in one of them - along with some Garlic Bread :drool:.

My heating has now 'gone off' and it's getting cold. Time for my Hot Chocolate and then head off to bed for a bit of a read. My pj's and fleecey dressing gown await - might just sleep in the dg tonight HSshiver.gif.

See you all bright and early in the morning :wave: - sleep well - night night - Lilyplonk xx
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Morning all!

Yesterday I got some sorting done in the kitchen but had a lot 'in' yesterday. I'm noting it down cause seeing it written is helping me :)

In

2 DVDs for Xmas presents
    2 brandy glasses (husband)
    My new phone case seeing as I shattered my phone and cost £70 to fix!
    Tassimo machine :j (my Xmas present)
    Tassimo discs (as above)
    15kg sack of dog food
    Coffee grinder (husband)

Nothing out yesterday but got a load of cardboard from above deliveries to recycle :) hoping to have more outs than ins today :)

Xx
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • Lilyplonk wrote: »
    Hi ladies - has anybody on this thread any experience of selling via Gumtree? I've just listed an item that's way too good to throw out/freecycle/charity shop, but I've never used it before.

Just wondering now if it was such a good idea :undecided.

I've never sold anything via Ebay/Amazon because I've never fancied with messing around with postage and/or paypal etc.

I listed about 5 items on gumtree earlier this year and one sold. :( it's good in that you don't pay to list or faff about with p&p but I do think it is a bit hit and miss. I may give it another go seeing as how my last ebay foray was so dismal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure