Halogen bulbs in Kitchen ceiling blowing every week!

I have 9 50W GU10 Halogen bulbs in my kitchen. Then were fitted by a qualified electrician 2 years ago. After they were fitted the whole house was tested, so I believe the wiring should be ok. (Unfortunately the electrician has since moved out of the area, so I can't get him back.)

I have tried buying expensive bulbs and cheap bulbs, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I find almost every week that a bulb is blowing and I have to replace them. The other week I replaced a bulb and with in an hour the same bulb had blown again. This time it seems to have lasted a month and is ok.

It appears to be random and not just the same bulb that is blowing.

I have read that you could have problems if you jump on the floor in the room above, but I don't think that is the problem.

I am considering changing the light fittings to 12v ones and wondered if the bulbs are likely to last any longer?

Comments

• Millie's_Mum
    Millie's_Mum Posts: 1,199 Forumite
    We have the same bulbs in our kitchen and front room and we find that the blow really often as well (although not within an hour), my OH is an electrician we know the problem is not the wiring, we have reached the conclusion it is the bulbs, like you say it doesn't seem to matter what type you buy.

One thing we have found though is that if you buy them in bulk from ebay they are loads cheaper!
    MFW Start Sep 07 £79484, Now £58774
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    same problem here with the added irritation that everytime one blows it takes the fuse out too:mad: was wondering myself if there was a wiring problem but it seems to be the way it is
  • fiscalfreckles
    fiscalfreckles Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    I have loads in my house, and an electrician told me that when you are repalcing them, you should be careful not to touch the glass face, as that can weaken the lifespan.

Don't ask me how or why!

Mine always blow a fuse when they go too.
  • mbailey
    mbailey Posts: 858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have loads in my house, and an electrician told me that when you are repalcing them, you should be careful not to touch the glass face, as that can weaken the lifespan.

Don't ask me how or why!

Mine always blow a fuse when they go too.

Mine always take the fuse box our as well, which in way is good as it shows it is working!

It's good to hear I am not alone with the problem.

Any idea if 12V are likely to be better than 240V ones?
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi,
    12 or 240 volt all have the same problem. I was told that it was due to the bulb getting too hot ie the air space around the bulb is not enough, wether this is true I cannot say.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • basill
    basill Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    We have some of those bulbs in the kitchen and some more in the office/spare room, the kitchen ones used to blow quite often until I bought some `long life` ones they were more expensive but seem longer lived.
    In the spare room I have a dimmer switch with soft start ( B&Q) Although they do not get quite such high use as the kitchen I have yet to change a bulb there.

B
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I couldnt be bothered with the darn things any more - halogen lightbulbs look all very nice - but they are a right nuisance for blowing at (very) frequent intervals. Didnt take me long to resign myself to the fact that a light fitting that takes halogen bulbs is a big mistake and throw my £30 worth of in the bin. I managed to buy a spotlight type one to replace it - though they are not easy to find now. I only had one choice in two finishes:mad: - but at least that will be the end of that and I will only have to change those lightbulbs now at reasonable intervals (has to be an improvement on changing them every few weeks - if I was lucky!).
  • Red_Cat
    Red_Cat Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    I remember reading that touching with bare fingers leaves a residue of grease (for want of a better word) from your fingers on the surface of the bulb and it is that which shortens the lifespan. I suppose you are meant to use the plastic wrapping to hold them whilst inserting into the light fitting.
    Hoping this year is better than the last. :)
  • Red_Cat wrote: »
    I remember reading that touching with bare fingers leaves a residue of grease (for want of a better word) from your fingers on the surface of the bulb and it is that which shortens the lifespan. I suppose you are meant to use the plastic wrapping to hold them whilst inserting into the light fitting.

This only apples to the open type lamps (the flood light ones), unless the halogen spots you buy don't have a glass cover.

I always suggest 12V halogen lamps. I have 4 in my bathroom and 6 in my kitchen, and I change lamps every 2-3 years.

Buy decent lamps if you don't want to trip the MCB, OSRAM, PHILIPS, SYLVANIA.
    baldly going on...
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    EVERYONE I know has this problem with them.

They seem to be absolute pants
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport