how much does it cost to own a static caravan?

i know this isn' money saving per se but hoping it will be in the long term for us i.e. buy a static and do hols to it and rent out rather than paying for hotels/camping etc through the year, each year.

So my questions..
how much does it cost to own a static caravan to begin with?
what about annual fees? do you pay to site it? gas/water/council tax????

We woukld want to use it at weekends and school holidays, what would be a suitable travel time away from home? An hour or two?

any info gratefully received:)

Comments

• welshmoneylover
    welshmoneylover Posts: 3,324 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i know this isn' money saving per se but hoping it will be in the long term for us i.e. buy a static and do hols to it and rent out rather than paying for hotels/camping etc through the year, each year.

So my questions..
    how much does it cost to own a static caravan to begin with?
    what about annual fees? do you pay to site it? gas/water/council tax????

We woukld want to use it at weekends and school holidays, what would be a suitable travel time away from home? An hour or two?

any info gratefully received:)

I suppose it depends on the actual camp site, but I've heard fees of £3500 are not uncommon.

I often wonder how people finance caravans. I recently had a look around some brand new caravans and the prices were £35k+ :eek:

They were lovely though and if I won the lottery I'd definitely have my own :D
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,510 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    The costs mount up. Buying it (£20k minimum for anything half decent), ground rent, maintenance charges, gas, electric, maintenance, insurance plus the costs incurred in getting to it every weekend - to all intents and purposes it is like having another house.

Once you start renting you have to manage it and this is hard work - colleagues have had holiday cottages and it becomes a full time job at weekends doing the turn rounds, or paying someone to do it for you. If you intend using it at weekends you are limiting how long you can rent it out for.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    All differs but you have started this thought the wrong way around . You need to rent it out at weekends and especially school holidays we own a staic in north wales fees are approx £2.5k p.a with no council tax payable as its not my permenant residence although this becomes sketchy to me as some people stay on our site for 10 months season and i never asked if they paid CTax . We dont let this out . We also own a cottage on a holiday park we do rent out fees are approx the same plus council tax (£850) If we are luck enough to rent for the full 7 weeks summer and 2 weeks easter we break even (site fees ,insurance,council tax,ground rent etc )(approx £3.5 k P.A )If you need to finance the purchase i think you will not break even on most sites and use it yourself.But good luck its harder work than you think
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    you also need to realise that some sites are stirct about the condition of caravans they allow to be parked on them, an old work colleague was told they had to buy a new caravan or remove their old one as it had reached the 10 year maximum age rule of the site... even though it was spotless it had to be removed as it was over-age!
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • greenface - unfort with me and hubby working full time, weekends are the only time we can get there. I'm a school teacher so ditto to school holidays.

The site i have been looking at has a 2008 2 bed (heated/double glazed) for £18k which includes site fees for 2 years.

we may ask my parents and/or my sister and her family if they want to split the cost and use of it????
  • greenface
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Not a bad idea to split fees and costs Esp as you seem prepared to use it alot between you but i cant see a option to let out . What are the current fees ? what general area ? how far from you? whats on site .? How long is it open ? do you have to renew after 10/15 years or at the owners discression ? Whats your feelings saying . would you stay there .Have you how much per week to rent . LOTS and lots of questions
  • welshmoneylover
    welshmoneylover Posts: 3,324 Forumite
    Forgot to mention earlier, I know someone who sited a caravan and they were also responsible for maintaining and cutting the grass around the caravan. For £3k+ fees I'd want the lot manicured with nail clippers :rotfl:
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • pompeyfaith
    pompeyfaith Posts: 536 Forumite
    Be very careful which site you use do your research and read everything before signing even go as far as getting second opinion I say this because I have read many sad stories.

Do your research and do not be rushed
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    As has been said, it varies greatly depending on the site.

Ours costs us £25 a year.
  • greenface
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    As has been said, it varies greatly depending on the site.

Ours costs us £25 a year.

More details please , my green wheelybin costs me £26 per year just to have a wash. It cost £26 for a take away for 4 of us..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport