Please help, can a 71yr old get a mortgage?

This is a long and very complex story so I will cut to the bit where I need advice, as I am desperately hoping I may have come up with a solution.

My mum who is nearly 72, disabled and frail is in a financial mess and we can’t find an easy way out. I already give her as much as I can afford to and my brothers have nothing to give. She is in debt that needs clearing and we also need to make repairs to the house, pay solicitors bills (other matters) etc

She owns the property she lives in and has no mortgage. I really don’t want to go down the equity release route but have read that it is not unheard of for pensioners to get mortgages. Say we wanted to take £20k for 5 years on an interest only basis (with the plan to repay the actual £20k when ‘the time comes’ as my puts it and she gives up the fight).

Can a 72yr old get a mortgage? If I were to be her guarantor? Would she be totally screwed on the rate or could we get a reasonable interest only small mortgage?

I really would appreciate any advice as have exhausted all options (including advice from charities, social services, benefits etc). I really don’t care if this eats into the inheritance and leaves a sum to be paid off, I just want to sort the here and now and ease her anxiety – and mine.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• benjo
    benjo Posts: 482 Forumite
    Cutting to the chase, assuming you could get 20k over 5 years - your plan to repy relies on your mothers death, in your own words 'with the plan to repay when the time comes and she gives up the fight'.

What happens if she is fit, strong and healthy in 5 years time, she/you cant repay the 20k, the house is repossessed and your old mum is 77 years old and homeless :confused:.

You dont mention if the debts she has are secured or unsecured, it is generally not a great idea to turn unsecured debts into secured ones. Im sure someone here knows much more than me though.

Goodluck.
  • Chop
    Chop Posts: 50 Forumite
    "What happens if she is fit, strong and healthy in 5 years time, she/you cant repay the 20k, the house is repossessed and your old mum is 77 years old and homeless"

Her health is very poor and it's highly unlikely she will make 77, if she did she would have to be in residential care by then. Hence the 5yr plan. Breaks my heart to say it, but there it is.

The debts are unsecured but HUGE APR so monthly repayments are crippling and have to go. Like I say, it's complex and other options all explored - I just need to know if mortgage is a possible route, rather than equity release. I can't have her living with this anxiety (and poverty) any more - it's just not right/fair.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It is worth speaking to CCCS about the debt problem. It may be possible for her to come to an arrangement with her creditors to pay just a token payment.

They are very helpful and non-judgmental, it is definitely worth talking it over with them.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • justjohn
    justjohn Posts: 2,260
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The loans are unsecured.
    Her only asset is the house.
    Your mum is old and will not get any younger.
    If you are being left the house in a will it may be more benifiacial too sign over too you now for various reasons.
    If you mum has no assets or has seen too have no assets then the debt will die with her.
    Residential care - If this happens and your mum has assets then they will be used to help pay for care.

This is my understanding of it. someone may correct me if i am wrong.

You mum and and you need to think carefully on this.
  • hoggums
    hoggums Posts: 213 Forumite
    If your mother is ill as you say then I think it's unlikely a bank will lend her money.

I don't think putting you as a guarantor is the best solution for you - Currently, if your mother dies before the debts are paid off they will have to be written off. Otherwise you are effectively taking on her debts, which could plague you for years after her death.

The debts are unsecured, my advice is not to secure them on the house as you will lose this inheritance. As above - go seek professional advice & negotiate the payments down, I'm sure her age will play in her favour.
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    She will not get a mortgage apart from one with a very high rate between 13 and 18%.!

An equity release rate will be far lower, so I see no reason why you don't explore that route.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    signing the house over isnt really an option due to the 7 year rule, if she had to go into a home it would be treated as if she still owned the house.
    Or even if she needed to claim acertain benefits.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • justjohn
    justjohn Posts: 2,260
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    McKneff wrote: »
    signing the house over isnt really an option due to the 7 year rule, if she had to go into a home it would be treated as if she still owned the house.
    Or even if she needed to claim any benefits.

hi thought it was 5 year

What about a trust ???

OP have a look here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2099375
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,545
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If she goes into care, the house would probably be sold to meet the care costs. If her income is insufficient to cover mortgage payments, she will clearly not get a mortgage. Should she die in debt, then her creditors may well be able to claim off the estate.

As previous posters have said seek professional advice.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Chop
    Chop Posts: 50 Forumite
    hoggums wrote: »
    If your mother is ill as you say then I think it's unlikely a bank will lend her money.

The debts are unsecured, my advice is not to secure them on the house as you will lose this inheritance. QUOTE]

She has MS and has had it for years, but ageing and its gradual deteriorating nature makes it so much worse.

Even if we can negotiate the debts down we still have no money to pay for urgent house repairs and outstandng solictor bills, plus she is overspent each month so the debt is just mounting. I can't see any way but to secure against the house - and right now I don't care about inheritance I just want a decent standard of living for my mum.

Is equity release as bad as it seems? Martin never writes about them so that must mean there aren't any good ones......

Thanks all for comments so far, I massively appreciate them all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure