university grant through parents occupation?

Someone mentioned to me recently that there are uni grants available depending on parent's occupation. Does anyone know where I can get this info?

Comments

• The Student Loan company. Different grants are available depending on your circumstances and your status as dependent/independent.
  • if you come from a low income background then you get a grant that varies depending on what uni you go to

if you go to the 'finance' section of the website of the university your interested there should be information there

EDIT:
    see:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/FinanceForNewStudents/index.htm

http://www.studentfinancedirect.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=53,1262820&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL - this calculator will tell you how much funding you get
  • It does all depend on your status though. I'm 22 years old, full time student, pregnant with my first child, live alone with a mortgage but because I can't produce 3 years payslips I am classed as dependent, and therefore receive no grant because my parents earn just above the threshold. They're trying to tell me that my parent's should be paying my living costs and for my degree!!

If you pop down to the children's services at your local council, they'll be able to talk you through what you're entitled to and what the thresholds are, the criteria for dependent/independent status and even help you fill out the form :) Hope this helps.
  • tinkerbel
    tinkerbel Posts: 1,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    At my uni there is a scolarship grant thing for the children of grocers, chemists of commercial travellers... maybe ask the uni itsself as well as I found out about that via an email from the university!
  • DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    You need to have a look on FunderFinder (computer based search programme) or in the EGAS catalogue (usually found in any council library)...

There are a lot of charitable bursaries out there dependent on parental occupation (and sometime dependent on course too)...
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
  • mrhenry1
    mrhenry1 Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    Cheers for the links people. I love having divorced parents, maximum grant thank you :D
  • feesh
    feesh Posts: 328 Forumite
    There are some weird grants out there - try http://www.hotcourses.com/pls/mon/hc_edufin.page_pls_user_scholarship?x=651122325701&y=&a=220707
    Some of them have really specific criteria, it's quite bizarre. It takes a long time to work through them all, but there are some real gems hidden in there.
  • hi, I'm divorced (but remarried) and my daughter is now looking into university grants. I already have debt management and pay CSA as required but am worried I'll be forced to fork out for her university. this isn't an option as I am not even coping with the current bills particularly as my employee isn't (for the 2nd consecutive year) increasing my salary. thanks.
  • MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    robi1966 wrote: »
    hi, I'm divorced (but remarried) and my daughter is now looking into university grants. I already have debt management and pay CSA as required but am worried I'll be forced to fork out for her university. this isn't an option as I am not even coping with the current bills particularly as my employee isn't (for the 2nd consecutive year) increasing my salary. thanks.

Does your daughter live with you or her other parent? She will be assessed for funding on the basis of the household income where she lives. A lot of students don't get anything from their parents even when they lose out on grants because of their household income. There is no way anyone can force you to pay for her university.
  • The_One_Who
    The_One_Who Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    DrFluffy wrote: »
    You need to have a look on FunderFinder (computer based search programme) or in the EGAS catalogue (usually found in any council library)...

There are a lot of charitable bursaries out there dependent on parental occupation (and sometime dependent on course too)...

This. It really depends on the occupation (I think there are some for firefighters or police force) but it tends to be quite specific. There are also some for different areas and the like. Might be worth having a look at your prospective university's scholarship section.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure