Cheapest place to buy MAC makeup?

Options
I don't wear much make-up but was looking at the threads in here to start getting into it. In particular, I'd like to buy some good eyeshadow. I noted the use of milk of magnesium as a primer and will try it out. I've seen people when I'm out in town with really vivid and amazing eye makeup and can never get mine quite like that. I was going to invest in some decent eyeshadows (a mixture of colours probably) and everyone on here seems to speak very highly of MAC! I wondered where the cheapest place would be to purchase eye makeup from them?

Thanks

Comments

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You won't get MAC cheap, to be honest it is not that much more that buying the drugstore brands. Be very wary of ebay for MAC most of it is fake and from the far east. Online cheap stores don't have MAC or if you do find it again fake.

Their eyeshadows are good.
  • glowgirl_2
    glowgirl_2 Posts: 4,591 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry cant answer your question but you could check out Barry M or GOSH from Superdrug for vivid colours and decent quality/prices:)
    Thank you for this site Martin
    The time for change has come
    Good luck for the future
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Definitely worth going into one of their stores or one of the big stores where they have a counter at a quiet time a couple of times and asking the consultant to apply the products, so you can be absolutely sure what you're buying suits you. If you pay full price and actually use the products it's not a waste of money. Buying unseen at a cheaper price and not using it is!!

HTH!
  • daisybella
    daisybella Posts: 3,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Like others have said, the only place to get REAL MAC is at a counter or via their website,
    ebay etc are full of fakes.

Similar colour payoff to MAC would include GOSH, Sleek and Barry M, all available at Superdrug, and would certainly be of better quality than "cheap" i.e. fake MAC that you might un-wittingly buy online.
  • missm29
    missm29 Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    Yep lots of fake mac and benefit makeup on ebay....even if you buy it from someone in the uk its usually been bought in bulk from hong kong/china etc.....recently got a benetint from ebay and i thought something was different from the one i had years ago....and now i notice the seller is no longer registered.
  • kerrydrobertson
    Options
    yeah i would save up the money and get it either on their website or a mac counter. they are always really helpful when i've been and find what suits you and what you would like
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,845 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are starting out with make up and eyeshadow etc, I'd start out with cheap eyeshadows. Surprisingly, cheaper eyeshadows are usually pretty highly pigmented - I recently got these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380184419363&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2625wt_939

and they are fantastic.

Also, if you are interested in a particular MAC product, search for the product name then put 'dupe' after it, for example 'MAC Creme di Nude lipstick dupe', and it should throw up some ideas for very very similar products. :D

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Options
    I'd recommend GOSH and Collection 2000 surprisingly, I've been buying both recently and they do some really good vivid colours and stuff. The Collection 2000 mineral foundation is surprisingly good for under a fiver!
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • adidas
    adidas Posts: 335 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I may try the Barry M/GOSH stuff from Superdrug first and then try MAC as it is certainly a lot more expensive.
  • CompletelyLost
    Options
    I would recommend Sleek makeup if you want to experiment with colours - they sell palettes for £4.99 in Superdrug and they are brilliant. I have one of each palette and they contain every colour imaginable. Well worth the money. They're extra pigmented too as the makeup line is designed for people with black and asian skin.

As for MAC, I agree with the others about going to a MAC counter or order from their website as it's the only way to ensure you're getting the real deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure