Sky Plus - Copying to DVD (via DVD recorder or Laptop) - how do I do it?

Hello all,

I have a growing collection of things on my Sky plus box that I want to copy to DVD to permanently store and clear up space on the box. Does anyone have an easy to follow way to do this via a laptop or DVD recorder? My Sky plus box has no USB port but a TV Scart, S-Video and Rs332 "slots" at the back. Would be grateful for any assistance.

Cheers :beer:
Be the change you want to see in this world - Gandhi

It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken
and the wisest might err - Gandhi.

He who will not economize will have to agonize - Confucius

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's easy simply plug in DVD recorder and play
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • petrichor
    petrichor Posts: 940 Forumite
    Sorry missile but it's not a simple as that, well not for me anyway. I've plugged in my recordable dvd and despite trying various things I can't get it to record from my sky+ box, it works ok when I record from a tv channel. Any further advice please?
    I wish that I could be the oldest AND wisest....sadly it's not the latter :p but my time will come _party_ wooooh hoooh! Beware!!!!!!!
  • missile
    Forumite
    The way I do it is to play a program recorded on Sky+ box on the telly and hit record on my DVD recorder. My DVD has the facility to auto-record but I have never used it.

FYI: There is an option on the Sky+ planner menu "COPY" but that does not work on my system. I have a Panasonic TV and DVD recorder. Previously I recorded by the same method onto a Sony VCR.

I hope this helps? If not you can phone Sky. Tell them your Sky box is not working properly and ask for an engineer to call, this service is free.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
  • missile
    Forumite
    dfdemello,

I am glad it worked out for you
  • ukcompo
    ukcompo Posts: 10 Forumite
    i run it so that my sky+ box plugs via scart to my DVD recorder and then that via a scart cable plugs into my TV, the DVD recorder is set to display the picture from the Sky+ box by choosing which line input the scart cable from the sky+ box is coming in on.

and it is as easy as pressing playing on my sky+ recorded program and pressing record on my DVD recorder. So therefore you are capturing the image being sent from the sky+ box to the TV.

Just note many Sky films, and even some discovery channel content is protected so you won't be able to record the info
    :: No Unapproved Links in Signatures - FM ::
  • petrichor wrote:
    Sorry missile but it's not a simple as that, well not for me anyway. I've plugged in my recordable dvd and despite trying various things I can't get it to record from my sky+ box, it works ok when I record from a tv channel. Any further advice please?

When you select the recording channel on your DVD recorder make sure it corresponds to the correct av socket you have your scart connected to. Either AV1 or AV2

Note if you want RGB scart quality you must connect to AV1 on the Sky+ box as the AV2 Recorder scart socket is composite only

Once the correct channel is selected you should be able to use either the sky copy facility or just play and record.
  • Some send a copy block so that you can not record. All so you can only kept recorded TV for 28 days due to copyright laws.
  • waster_2
    waster_2 Posts: 498 Forumite
    missile wrote:

I hope this helps? If not you can phone Sky. Tell them your Sky box is not working properly and ask for an engineer to call, this service is free.

It's only free if less than a year old. Otherwise the standard Sky call out fee will apply. Was £60 per call out. If it's the box that's at fault, the enginner will probably replace it with a refurb - probably an Amstrad. If it is replaced you'll lose all your recordings with the original box!
  • missile
    Forumite
    waster wrote:
    It's only free if less than a year old. Otherwise the standard Sky call out fee will apply. Was £60 per call out. If it's the box that's at fault, the enginner will probably replace it with a refurb - probably an Amstrad. If it is replaced you'll lose all your recordings with the original box!

If they try to charge you, simply say in that case I want to cancel the subscription I am not paying for something which does not work. They transfer you to customer retention and "hey presto" they send the man for free. It works, I have done it.
  • Bambers
    Bambers Posts: 99 Forumite
    slightly off topic, but i have a usb port on the from of my box, what is it for?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure