Best mobile phone contract for kids?

antispam246
antispam246 Posts: 941 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 20 December 2009 at 12:48PM in Mobiles
Hi, I'm looking to take out a couple of mobile phone contracts ideally that come with a choice of handset on any network. What I'm looking for specifically is the ability to limit usuage.

I'm fed up of them using other peoples mobiles and the landline so I'd like to get them contracts with X minute/texts that they can not go over. I've looked around but from what I can see this doesn't appear to be an option with any network provider unles someone can tell me different.

Orange were doing 100 minutes and unlimited texts for 14.99 with a nokia 6303 that's the only one I've enquired about so far but they say I can't stop them from going over their minutes unless I keep checking their usuage online and when they were nearing going over then block the calls. This is what I want BUT I want it to be automatic. Surely someone must offer a similar contract, doesn't have to be 100 minutes, doesn't have to be that handest, doesn't have to be that price, but cheapest best, but I'd just like it so they can not go over their minutes, and get charged extra. When they've used them, that's it.

Any help appreciated.

I say kids but they're older teenagers really.

I've read this article http://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/how-to-avoid-nasty-surprises-if-your-child-has-a-mobile-phone-417102.html but it's dated back in 2006 is this still the case today or have things changed in anyway that could be more beneficial to someone like myself.

Comments

• onetomany
    onetomany Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    well this is what i did, me and hubby got a monthly contract, then my boys have pay as you go phones (o2) we pay a extra £7.50 per month and you can nominate 5 o2 numbers which you get unlimited calls, texts and picher messages, if they need to ring friends they have to top up using there poket money but they can contact me and hubby if they need to hope this helps
  • onetomany wrote: »
    well this is what i did, me and hubby got a monthly contract, then my boys have pay as you go phones (o2) we pay a extra £7.50 per month and you can nominate 5 o2 numbers which you get unlimited calls, texts and picher messages, if they need to ring friends they have to top up using there poket money but they can contact me and hubby if they need to hope this helps

Oh this sounds really interesting! So did you buy them a phone each on pay as you go through o2? Was it basically a handset and sim each with no monthly charge just a one off fixed price then you do the £7.50 (bolt-on?) for the 5 free numbers. Is that bolt-on added to your phone(s) or their phones?, is it 7.50 for both or each?
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    We gave our grandchildren older phones that we had upgraded from and PAYG sim cards from ASDA (Carried by Vodafone ) 8p a min calls and 4p text
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    T-Mobile do a SIM only contract that is capped so you can't go over the free minutes and texts IIRC. It's called Solo Fixed. If it is truely capped it's about your only option.

Giving contract phones to children is pretty daft, in my opinion
  • robt_2
    robt_2 Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is there a particular reason why you have decided against PAYG? Your first post doesn't say.
  • robt wrote: »
    Is there a particular reason why you have decided against PAYG? Your first post doesn't say.

I haven't, it doesn't say I've decided against it, just didn't mention, I'm open to all suggestions
  • Kilty wrote: »
    T-Mobile do a SIM only contract that is capped so you can't go over the free minutes and texts IIRC. It's called Solo Fixed. If it is truely capped it's about your only option.

One's 19 the other is 23. I was trying to keep specific details out, sorry. Just imagine them as teenagers.
  • robt_2
    robt_2 Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    One's 19 the other is 23. I was trying to keep specific details out, sorry. Just imagine them as teenagers.

I assumed they were younger than that.

They are fully grown adults - tell them to get a contract in their own name!! And to stop using your landline - or make them pay for it.
  • robt wrote: »
    I assumed they were younger than that.

They are fully grown adults - tell them to get a contract in their own name!! And to stop using your landline - or make them pay for it.

:/ I know I only have myself to blame but please don't go down that road. I'm just looking for help with my original question, tis all. These are xmas presents also.

Update: Having spoken to friends it seems someone can get my the iphone 3g 8gb 600 mins 500 texts unlimited data/wifi for £24.xx a month on 24month contract. Now, this is really outstanding to myself. Staff discount is how, incase anyones wondering. It's not something I can simply toss aside as it's really good money and I know they'd both love it. So my new question is

As this is on o2, what features could I put in place to ensure they don't go over their minutes / texts or would these features just kick in as standard. I know it was mentioned only T-mobile do something like this but I want to double check. Also can I block things like premium numbers and any other things that may contribute to excess charges?
  • zooks
    zooks Posts: 101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Kilty wrote: »

This is what we have just got for our daughter, 350mins, unlimited texts and 30 day rolling contract. If she uses her minutes up she has to top up same as payg so cant incur extra costs. If you go for it don't forget £20 back via quidco.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure