Cheapest place to buy malarone?

Hi,

I need to buy 21 tablets(for each of the 5 members of my wedding party) within the next few weeks - anyone any idea of the cheapest place to get them?? Have been quoted £3 in local pharmacy and have seen them online for £2.25 per tablet. Anyone do any better than that?

Comments

• In Telegraph Travel today. I think Boots online was the cheapest.
  • SallyD
    SallyD Posts: 1,009
    Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    Boots Online was £2.10 per tablet when I last looked on the site. I have been quoted £2.86 in store and £2.50,£2.40 and £3 at other chemists. I have not ordered them yet, but I think you have to give them the prescription number before they will send them.
    SallyD
  • baffcat
    baffcat Posts: 502
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    nippy26 wrote:
    Hi,

I need to buy 21 tablets(for each of the 5 members of my wedding party) within the next few weeks - anyone any idea of the cheapest place to get them?? Have been quoted £3 in local pharmacy and have seen them online for £2.25 per tablet. Anyone do any better than that?

Hi

We (a family of 4) went to Zambia last year, and after a nasty experience with Larium for my wife last visit, were advised to use Malarone by our GP. We looked around for quite a while, and eventaully bought it (29 tabs per person, if I recall correctly) from:

http://www.travelpharm.co.uk

I can't remember how much we paid, but it was by far the cheapest we found, no carriage (registered) and the guy there was extremely helpful. We also bought a couple of mossie nets.

Enjoy your trip. We found Malarone to be better than anything else we've tried over the past ten years.

Baff
    Exclamation and question marks - ONE exclamation mark or question mark is sufficient to exclaim or ask about something. More than one just makes you look/sound like a prat.
    Should OF, would OF
    . Dear oh dear. You really should have, or should've listened at school when that nice English teacher was explaining how words get abbreviated.
  • nippy26
    nippy26 Posts: 93 Forumite
    Many thanks to you all - boots online it is then....saving £18.90 each.. :)
  • lenny
    lenny Posts: 18 Forumite
    Hi,there are three of us going to kenya ,Tablets are expensive enough,but we also need a private perscription each ! any moneysavers know a way round this?
  • gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,122
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    i got our tablets from the dispesary at the gp's surgery, at the suggestion of the nurse, and didnt have a prescription, but she did write it down on a leaflet for us, so, just a thought, but if you have a "holiday clinic" at your surgery, the evening they set aside for hol jabs etc, maybe your nurse would do the same? prob is then, you will probably be resricted to where you can purchase from.

for reference, i paid £68 for 30 tablets. have to say though, they were far and away better than the cheaper alternatives out there.

hth

xx
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I bought them last week at Asda pharmacy - £2.20 per tablet. Had to get a private prescription from GP.
    If you need Typhoid/Hep A jabs, some GP's do them free (ours did!)
  • weejenny
    weejenny Posts: 141 Forumite
    Do check at your local surgery as many sell them cheaper than elsewhere, ours is far away cheaper than anywhere else I could find. Also some Dr's charge for a private prescription just depends on your Dr.
  • Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Posts: 152
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can also try www.stratford-pharmacy.co.uk. Malarone is £2.12 per tablet, and the service is quick. Fortunately my GP doesn't charge me for the script.
  • Boots online are still currently the cheapest. No P&P. But you obviously have to register with them and, give your script No. This is easy and they're £2.10 per tablet. The big thing for me is that you know what you are getting...!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure