PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Show Jamie How To Cook On A Budget Champagne Contest

Comments

• sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,655 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Gauntlet thrown down indeed.

1 loaf sliced white bread - 37p (tesco value will work but any bread to make into breadcrumbs)
    3 big carrots - 20p
    6 courgettes - £1.90
    knob of butter - so about 5p?
    1 medium onion - 15p
    Cheddar cheese - decent sized portion but not loads - about 40p worth
    1 egg - 20p
    salt/pepper - not necessary but can use - 10p
    oil - for fryign so a tiny drizzle about 20p

£3.57
    plus
    £0.41 - oven chips - tesco value but if you have spare spuds left over from previous meal use them.
    £0.60 for portion of peas each

£4.58 in total

- make bread into bread crumbs by blitzing in a food processor. Cut courgettes and carrots into thin stirps and squeeze out excess water by wringing out in an old tea towel.
    - Heat the butter in a pan, and fry the onion until soft. Add the grated carrot and cook for 2 minutes. Add the courgette amd cook for 3 minutes until softened. Mix with the grated cheese, half the breadcrumbs, the egg yolk and seasoning.
    - shape into 8 sausages about 10cm long using floured hands. Dip into the lightly beaten egg white, and roll in the remaining bredcrumbs. Heat some oil in a wok or frying pan and fry the sausages until lightly golden.
    - make poatoes into potatoe wedges and cook in the oven.
    - serve with wedges and a portion of peas.

Yummy. Thats if we are doing one nutricious meal only.
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • sammy_kaye18
    kazmeister wrote: »
    I think someone should have a word with ?sammykaye who feeds her family for £100 a month.

hi kaz - im here chicky!! was typing out our idea of a luxury meal (see veggie sausages above!) but am now busy typing out what id make form a fiver!

be back shortly!
  • I think they’re having a laugh?

I went for leek and potato soup, a mixed bean stew and a treacle pudding. A very heavy menu, I wouldn’t serve them together normally. The soup for a lunch maybe? Was just to show how far the Fiver can go:

(NB, based on Sainsbury's online prices - Tesco would be cheaper)

Leek and Potato Soup:

Onions (said a 1/10th of a 2kg bag) £0.08
    500g Leeks £0.99
    1kg Potatoes £0.35 (1/5th of a 5kg bag)
    2 Stock cubes £0.04
    ½ pint of semi-skimmed £0.17 (based on a 4 pinter)
    1tablespoon Olive oil £0.10 (25ml from a 250ml bottle)

Cost: £1.72 Serves 6 generously

Roughly chop the onions, sweat in a little olive oil. Chop the leeks into coins, add to the sweating onions. Peel the potatoes and cut into inch cubes. Add the potatoes to the other vegetables, Make up a pint of stock with the two cubes. Pour over the stock. Add more boiling water from the kettle until it just cover the veg. Put the lid on and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and then blend with a stock blender, adding the milk until it’s the right consistency.

“Tuscan” bean stew

1 tin kidney beans, drained £0.21
    1 tin canellini or borlotti beans (both taste different to me, so it makes a nice change) drained £0.40
    1 tin most value baked beans, rinsed of sauce £0.20
    1 tin tomatoes £0.20
    Onion chopped £0.08 (based on a 1/10th of a 2kg bag)
    2/3 garlic cloves crushed £0.15 (based on half a bulb from a 3 pack)
    Oregano £0.05 (couldn’t find this, so price based on mixed med herbs)
    2 stock cubes £0.04
    2 tablespoons of tom puree £0.06
    500g potatoes peeled and cut into 2" chunks £0.18 (1/10th of a 5kg bag)
    2 tablespoons Olive oil £0.20 (50ml from a 250ml bottle)

Cost: £1.78 Serves 6 with seconds

Heat some olive oil in a casserole, sweat the onion and garlic until softened. Drain and rinse all the beans and then chuck the contents in the pan. Add the potatoes. Add enough stock to just cover everything. Add two good tablespoons of tomato puree, a good few pinches of herbs, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and then simmer until the potatoes are done and the sauce is thick.

Microwave Treacle Sponge

50g of Sainsbury’s Golden syrup £0.05
    100g Sugar £0.08
    100g Self raising flour £0.04
    2 Eggs (Free Range) £0.42
    A few tablespoons Semi-skimmed milk £0.05
    100g Butter £0.34
    150ml Single cream (to serve) £0.40

Cost: 1.38 Serves 4 hungry, greedy people

Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs and the flour. Slowly add sufficient milk to make a batter consistency (like thick glass paint!). Pour two good glugs of golden syrup into a buttered microwave-able bowl. Pour the batter on top and cover with cling film, leaving small gap for steam to escape, and zap in the microwave for 3-4 minutes on HIGH... leave to stand for a couple of minutes before trying to remove the cling film. Wear oven gloves to protect your wrist from the steam.

Total for the three courses: £4.88.
  • sammy_kaye18
    Right

my more budget friendly meal.

starter
    basic soup
    5 carrots - 30p - brought loose in tesco
    swede - 55p
    onion - 15p
    knob of butter - 5p
    vegetable stock cubes - 19p tesco value
    Total - £1.24

put butter in pan, add onion to soften, dice up carrot and swede, sweat off, add vegetable stock to cover, and cook until veg is soft - liquidise if need be. (usually gives us an extra portion to freeze)

Main meal
    1 pack 500g mince - £1
    knob of butter - 5p
    medium onion - 15p
    portion of peas - 60p
    5 big carrots - 30p - brought loose
    tin of value sweetcorn - 15p
    potatoes - 2.5kg bag - £1.12
    gravy granules - 30p
    milk - 5p
    Total £3.72

chop onion and lightly soften in pan with butter. add mince and brown off. add gravy granules (made up of course!) add carrot, peas and sweetcron. chop up potatoes and bring to boil. mash when ready. put mince mix in dish and top with mashed potato - one shepherds pie with a portion to freeze.

grand total £4.96

was also going to add if you can stretch another 4p you can get a packet of value angel whip for pudding!

Edited to add - Ive no idea how much a bit of each product is so have estimated some bit!!! Totally clueless on how much a portion of gravy granules would amount to for example! And Im using tesco prices!
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    OK, 3 courses - (Tesco prices)

Starter - Mackrell pate

1 smoked mackrell fillet - 85p
    1/2 tub ricotta cheese - 36p
    salt and pepper to taste.
    1 piece of toast per person (crusts cut off, in triangles, 4 slices) 10p (value bread)
    Total - £1.31

Flake the mackrell fillet, mix well into the ricotta, season and serve with the toast.

Main course - Choritzo pasta

1 pack of choritzo - 91p
    1 pack spaghetti - 23p (value)
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar - store cupboard guess 20p all 3
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Total - £1.34

Cook the spaghetti. Fry the choritzo in the oil, lemon juice and vinegar. Mix with the spaghetti and serve.

Dessert - Sponge pudding and custard

4 oz S/R flour - 10p (value)
    4 oz caster sugar - 20p
    4 oz butter/marg - 20p
    2 eggs - 40p (free range eggs)
    2 tablespoons golden syrup - 20p
    Ready made custard - 35p
    Total - £1.45

Mix the flour, sugar, marg and eggs. In a bowl pour the golden syrup, then spoon the cake mix on top. Microwave for about 3 - 4 minutes.

3 courses - £4.10, maybe a bit more if you dont use value products, but still under £5!!!!

Added - enough left over to maybe make a salad to go with the pasta!
  • sammy_kaye18
    Ok

This really has me thinking - yes im know im on reply what 4???

How about this

soup from before
    basic soup
    5 carrots - 30p - brought loose in tesco
    swede - 55p
    onion - 15p
    knob of butter - 5p
    vegetable stock cubes - 19p tesco value
    Total - £1.24 - serves 4 easily
    put butter in pan, add onion to soften, dice up carrot and swede, sweat off, add vegetable stock to cover, and cook until veg is soft - liquidise if need be. (usually gives us an extra portion to freeze)

basic pasta lunch
    Value spaghetti - 23p
    knob of butter -5p?
    tin of value chopped tomatoes - 21p
    onion - 15p
    tesco dried basil - 33p (got my own in back garden so not needed but if you must)
    chunk of cheese for grating on top - 20p?

£ 1.17
    - easily serves 4
    chop onion and cook off in the knob of butter. Add tomatoes. cook. add basil. cook pasta. than add sauce ot pasta and mix together. sprinkle with grated cheese to serve.

Pudding
    Raspberry Jelly - 30p
    2 tins of Custard (if no powder) - 38p
    2 Dream toppings - 1.36
    £2.04 - serves 4 easily

make up the jelly. put in fridge till set. Gently heat custard, leave to cool, pour on top of set jelly, again leave to set. Make up dream topping and put on top of set custard. Use any left voer sprinkles form cake makign to decorate - tada trifle for pudding

and with 50p left for a treat!

• waddy80
    waddy80 Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This thread could be really interesting. £5 can last most Grocery challenging Old stylers a good few days. My best one course meal has to be:

Chicken noodle soup (with home made bread)

1 1/2 Pints chicken stock (made from my rubber chicken, cooked in slow cooker which cost £2.69 current tesco price) approx 10p
    1 x Packet value chicken super noodles 10p
    1/5th chicken meat from above chicken 54p
    1 x tin sweetcorn (200g) 25p
    Handful of frozen peas 20p
    Mixed herbs 5p
    5g frozen garlic 5p
    20g butter 20p
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Home made crusty loaf approx 34p (usual method made in breadmaker or not, using value flour etc)

Total £1.83

Method
    Fry off garlic in butter. Whilst doing this cook noodles as per packet instructions in boiling water. Add chicken stock to garlic and bring to boil, add frozen peas and drained sweetcorn. Add Chicken and noodles. If stock is thick add boiling water to thin. Season and add herbs to taste. Simmer for approx 10 mins.
    Eat with fresh bread!

This usually does one evening meal for two plus at least 2 portions for lunch. So I suppose a family of 4 for one night. But usually I'll have another portion which goes in the freezer.

By the way sammy_kaye18 I'm in awe of your thread, you are an inspiration!
    Money, money, money, must be funny....in a rich mans world.

• See i knew OSers could do great on £5.00

and theres Jamie just managing meatballs and Spaghetti

;)
    furrypig says:my name is Choccy and I am addicted to nose free stamps as I want to save them all and give them noses!!!:rotfl:
    About me. Im Choccy or Chocolate orange depending on where i am.Yes occasionally i am a total looon who spends too long online,but no where near as much £ as her spendy elves do ..:D
  • Right, I know this is slightly over, but I wanted to show you can do a summer friends-for-lunch come dinner party menu for about the same as he can do one family main (though I must admit, at their prices i'm not surprised he's struggling!!)

Here goes:

Bruchetta

Part baked Ciabatta, cooked £0.69
    150g cherry tomatoes £0.69
    1/2 a head of garlic £0.30
    2 tablespoons olive oil £0.20
    1/2 bunch of basil £0.35

Put the cherry toms in a roasting tray, drizzle with most of the olive oil. Crush the garlic (unpeeled) and put it crushed but whole in the roasting tin. Add the basil leaves slightly torn. Roast in a hot oven (225oC) for 10 to 15. Slice the ciabatta into inch thick slices. Grill, bake or griddle until toasted both sides, Rub top side of each slice with the cut face of a garlic clove, drizzle a little more olive oil and top with the roasted cherry tomatoes.

Cost: £2.23 Serves 4

Honey Mustard Chicken Salad

2 chicken breasts £1.97
    1 bag salad £0.68
    1/2 cucmber £0.17
    1 tomato £0.16
    ½ red onion £0.21
    2 tablespoons olive oil £0.20
    Juice of 1 lemon £0.15
    100g honey £0.18
    100g grainy mustard £0.12

Mix the honey with the mustard. Slice the chicken into strips and toss in the mixture. Leave to oneside for a while. Heat a griddle pan (or arrange on a grill rack) and cook until done. Make the salad with the bagged salad, cucumber, thinly sliced red onion and dixed tomato (deseeded). In a small bowl mix 50ml of olive oil with the juice of a lemon (and a touch more mustard if you like). Pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Arrange on plates, topped with the chicken. Serve immediately with a well chilled white wine…

Cost: £3.84 Serves 4

Total for 2 courses : £6.07
  • clarej1985
    clarej1985 Posts: 156 Forumite
    ok....you have all got me interested now so here is my contribution!!
    Ciabatta with garlic and tomatos:
    Rub the ciabatta with the garlic and toast, slightly roast the toms keeping them on the vine and serve on the toast.

Tomato and Basil Pasta
    Gently fry the leftover garlic from the starter. Cook the pasta then drain. Add the tinned toms, garlic and basil and simmer until the sauce is warm.

Ice Cream.....ummmmm scoop into a bowl ;)

Tesco Cherry Tomatoes On The Vine 300g £1.08
    Tesco Ciabatta Bread £1.09
    Tesco Value Vanilla Flavour Ice Cream 2 Ltr £0.75
    Tesco Garlic Each £0.35
    Fresh Basil 25g £0.69
    Tesco Value Chopped Tomatoes 400g £0.21
    Tesco Fusilli Pasta Twists 500g £0.55
    Guide price: £4.72

The bag of pasta will be more than enough for a couple of meals too :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories