Winter Fuel allowance over 60

2»

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Smiley_Mum - Which year are you talking about applying for? If s/he was over 60 in the qualifying week of 15th -21st September 2003, the deadline for winter just gone is 30th March, ie still time to apply.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........

• Also the extra cash for the pensioners is for covering the Council Tax, talk about giving it to you with one hand and taking it away with the other.  :(

More a case of taking it away with one hand and giving it back with the other.

One of the problems with Council Tax and OAP's is that many OAP's will not or just do not claim. If friends and relatives persuade OAP's and help with the forms then this problem will mostly disappear.

An alternative would be to replace Council Tax with a Local Income Tax and given that the Income Tax system already exists a lot of the local council bureaucracy and form filling will just disappear.
  • flossie_2
    flossie_2 Posts: 142 Forumite

Apologies, Flossie, I should've typed -

but will she still get it, not she will still get it, sorry. :(

I've just taken a read of the site and it looks unlikely she will get it.  This was her first year of applying so it'll be like it was in your case.  Sorry.

Also the extra cash for the pensioners is for covering the Council Tax, talk about giving it to you with one hand and taking it away with the other.  :(

Nae prob, Smiley Mum - I just sensed an opportunity to do battle with them again, but it's probably better for my blood pressure this way! Hope your friend's lucky - Fran is absolutely right, if she's applying for this year and gets it in before 30 March, it will be paid (November I believe).
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    You need to get divorced ;D as only one of married couple gets it  :'(

This isn't true. Instead of one of the couple getting £200, you get £100 each.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • There is an annual payment of the winter full alliance.
    It was £10 per annum.
    New Labour I think made it £100 per year
    and for a couple £200 per year.
    This year, and in good time before a probable election next year, there is an ADITIONAL £100 to compensate for increases in council tax i believe.
    So for one year only it is £200 for one person living alone and £300 for two people living together if they satisfy the age criteria.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • Nytehawk
    Nytehawk Posts: 6,118
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Oh Wise ones........... I don't know if I am following this thread correctly. My wife is 61 has been turned down for DLA and unable to get a pension because I aged 52 still work and she hasn' put in enough NI. We live in our own little semi det home. Can my wife still claim winter fuel allowance, if so when is she eligible from.. Thanks in advance:confused:;)
    "Did you hear about the frog that broke down on the motorway???? They toad him away!"
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    klondyke wrote:
    You need to get divorced ;D as only one of married couple gets it :'(

No, in fact that's not true.

We get half each i.e. £100 drops into both our bank accounts.

Margaret Clare
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • grilli
    grilli Posts: 535 Forumite
    Hi Oh Wise ones........... I don't know if I am following this thread correctly. My wife is 61 has been turned down for DLA and unable to get a pension because I aged 52 still work and she hasn' put in enough NI. We live in our own little semi det home. Can my wife still claim winter fuel allowance, if so when is she eligible from.. Thanks in advance:confused:;)
    I worked for winter fuuel for 4 years. Yes your wife can qualify for a winter fuel payment in fact she could have qualified last winter if she's now 61. ring the helpline on 08459 15 15 15 to register her claim.
  • Nytehawk
    Nytehawk Posts: 6,118
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks Grilli my wife contacted the helpline today and she was given some good news and it was welcome after being turned down for DLA and put through the mill with it as well so once again a BIG THANK YOU:T
    "Did you hear about the frog that broke down on the motorway???? They toad him away!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure