JSA is taxable?

coffee_prince
coffee_prince Posts: 173 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 21 August 2009 at 12:38PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Signed off JSA, got a part time job and gave my most recent p45 from my last job to my employer (that job ended in Dec 2008).

Now I recieve 3 letters from DWP, one of them saying all the jsa I recieved counts towards taxable income, and that I need to give my employer a p45 to fill in (which I recieved separately.

Quote in letter
We cannot check yoour tax position because of a ack of tax information. We have notified the Inland Revenue. They will pay any refund due, or if you owe tax they will tell you how it is to be collected

I've not earned anything yet this financial year, apart from what i got from JSA!

How does it work? I get paid in less then two weeks, will this mean I will get emergency taxed as these things take a long time.

The code on my old p45 from 2008 was 603L, the current p45 I got today says 647L

i'm only going to get about £400 for a months work and been living on a pittance this last month without JSA. I'm going to be livid if they emergency tax me.

I'm going to hand in the p45 to my manager today and see what he says, but it sems all very messy to sort this kinda thing out??

HELP!

Comments

• Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This happened to me.

What your employer should have done was give you a P46 to fill in - this is used if you don't have a P45.

I would expect emergency tax at the minute, so you're not disappointed when you get your payslip. I know it's difficult living off so little money, but you can claim the tax back (I even got mine back when I got a tax code). I spent 4 months getting emergency taxed.

If you have rent to pay as well you are still entitled to Housing Benefit (I'm assuming you were claiming it before)
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    What you have done is perfectly correct. The P45 has your correct code number on it and also, presumably the amount of taxable JSA received from 6 April to the date you signed off.
    Your employer will treat this just like a normal P45 and you should not pay any tax on the £400.
    Its not at all messy - its the way the PAYE system works, with pay and tax from one employer being passed on to the next so that your tax is correct.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • coffee_prince
    coffee_prince Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 August 2009 at 1:22PM
    ^ No The p45 I gave them was for last financial year as that was my last job and the only p45 I had in my possession.

I would've given them the p45 I recieved today if they had sent it to me early enough, but it took them three weeks and now I will be emergency taxed. I did not know JSA counted as income.

Its not realistic for them to expect me to give them a jsa p45 before I start mu new job, if they take so long to send it to me.

Not happy in all honesty.

I am on housing benefit, the rent isn't that much of an issue at the moment, I am trying to save up and clear some debt so its annoying when you have planned out a budget only to have it ripped to pieces.

Last time i got emergency taxed I only got it back at the end of the year... will this be the same?
  • fengirl_2
    You simply give your employer the new P45 and say that this is more up to date. It will be no problem for them to input the figures from this to replace the old one.
  • Sounds simple but I am sure it will take a long time for my manager and then the tax people to sort this out, in the meantime i will be left with a bare minimum to live on. thanks tax system
  • fengirl_2
    The tax people are not involved - its up to your employer to use the P45 - if they don't, you need to chivvy them up!
    Anyway, if you are only earning £400 for a month's work, you are below the tax threshold and won't be taxed, even on emergency code.
  • moongarden
    moongarden Posts: 478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Sounds simple but I am sure it will take a long time for my manager and then the tax people to sort this out, in the meantime i will be left with a bare minimum to live on. thanks tax system

The rate of emergency tax is almost the same as standard single person allowance so you should not be left with the bare minimum - in fact it will not be all that much different than your real tax code.

See information on HMRC website here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/emergency-code.htm#4
  • moongarden
    moongarden Posts: 478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    by the way, yes JSA is classed as income so it will count towards your income when adding up all for the whole financial year but it is not much. if you were on JSA for the whole financial year then you would not pay income tax because the total JSA is less than the tax allowance.

From HMRC website:
    Levels of Personal Allowance
    There are three levels of Personal Allowance Personal Allowance 2009-10 tax year Income limit - see note
    Basic level £6,475
    Age 65-74 £9,490
    Age 75 and over £9,640
  • Mirnish
    Mirnish Posts: 32 Forumite
    Hi there,
    JSA is counted as income. if you are earning around £400 a month it means your annual income will be £4800 which still means u r still within your personal allowance which is £6475 for this tax yar 2009-10 (meaning you dont get taxed upto that amount).
    so if u are on emergency tax at the moment, the best thing to do is phone up your tax office and ask them to change your tax code to cumulative code and at the end of the tax year April send in your P60 to your tax office so u can claim back what u paid in tax.
    i doubt that u will pay tax on JSA as u still have not earned over your personal allowance.

Hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport