Asda launches revamped price guarantee News Discussion

Comments

• callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,389
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The big problem I have with this is when I'm instore, I often pick up a couple of things I didn't really need, but were on offer. This means even though my shop may have been cheaper in Tesco, the couple of offers I picked up wipe out the difference so they get out of paying anything back.

Granted I'm paying less than I would for the identical items in Tesco, but if I was shopping in Tesco I would have bought different items.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    I quite like the new guarantee, means I don't need to shop around as I will get it at the same rate from shopping under one roof.
    It depends how you shop. For example, if you need washing powder, which one of the following do you fit into:
    1. Buy Persil 1kg whatever the price, or
    2. Buy the cheapest 1kg washing powder?

If you are shopper number 2, then you won't save any money on the Asda price guarantee as you'll probably buy different brands depending on which shop you visit.

Another example I've seen previously is with pizza.
    Asda's own: £1.13, Goodfellas: £1
    Tesco's own: £1.00, Goodfellas: £2 (just some made up prices as an example)
    In Asda, I'd buy Goodfellas, in Tesco I'd buy their own. This means my shopping comparison will be £1 higher as I've bought Goodfellas (if you see what I mean).

Asda products also come in different sizes for many products. Take the Corn Flakes example someone has already posted: Asda £1.97 for 500g, Morrisons £1.24 for 750g. This simply won't be included in the comparison as it is a different size, even though you are getting more for less money at Morrisons.
  • barncopxx
    barncopxx Posts: 117 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2011 at 10:47AM
    It's just a gimmick. Cadburys fingers, 89p normal price in Netto, ON OFFER at £1 in Asda. Felix Sensations, £3 Sainsburys, £3.50 Asda. Probably many more examples. Asda used to have an advert where the shopper was tapping their back pocket to indicate how much they had saved, sadly now the only back pocket being tapped is Asda's profit pocket! At the end of the day Asda fully know that not many people are going to be bothered with checking their receipts online just to save the odd 10p or 15p!
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    all you're doing if you buy the fingers from netto is lining asda's pockets anyway, as they own netto now
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I know it's clever marketing but I can't see why anyone has a problem with this - I think it's great! I do nearly all my shopping in ASDA in any case, because I find it is the nicest environment, the best quality products and on the whole the prices are obviously lower than Tesco and Sainsbury's (especially the latter - you want HOW much for that??). The comparisons seem very fair and err on the side of underplaying the difference. I have had vouchers twice, in each case it was the first time the checkout operator had ever seen one. One of them was for over £4 because I had bought 2 of a high value product that was around £2 cheaper in Tesco, but I happened to have £10 worth of ASDA promotional vouchers for it, so I actually paid £6 less!
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • My friend just completed her first exercise in doing this, input her receipt number regarding the latest shop...and is now the proud owner of a £6.50 Asda voucher! Be as cynical as you like about this, I haven't exactly seen the competition chomping on the bit to bring their own 'guaranteed lowest' plan out.
  • thepearce wrote: »
    The link in the article is wrong (not working at all). It should be : http://www.asda.com/priceguarantee

FAO MSE People - the link is still not working :(
    --- Warning: Grumpy Old Man in Training ---
  • I always shopped at Tesco but am finding it quite expensive but I do like the clubcard points to use at xmas.

I went Asda last week and have just checked my receipt on their website and my £25.06 shop was £1.57 cheaper than Tesco and I also got a coupon back for 76p because they weren't 10% cheaper than the cheapest supermarket.

So If I'd shopped at Tesco I would have got 50 clubcard points = 50p, but I actually saved £1.57 + 76p = £2.33. :)
    Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it.
  • I always shopped at Tesco but am finding it quite expensive but I do like the clubcard points to use at xmas.

I went Asda last week and have just checked my receipt on their website and my £25.06 shop was £1.57 cheaper than Tesco and I also got a coupon back for 76p because they weren't 10% cheaper than the cheapest supermarket.

So If I'd shopped at Tesco I would have got 50 clubcard points = 50p, but I actually saved £1.57 + 76p = £2.33. :)

That basically sums up the genius marketing of the club card scheme, TBH. Millions fall for it...
  • That basically sums up the genius marketing of the club card scheme, TBH. Millions fall for it...

Yep, make that a million and 1 (me)
    Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure