DLA appeal form (GL24) tips on completing needed

Comments

• All I can say is that every form I filled in was with great detail as I was told by so many people. The result was that I was turned down twice. So I went to DIAL and like I said before, they put very very little on the form. I enclosed one support letter from my OT and the result was HRM.
    If you are not sure then I would definitely go to DIAL and ask for their help. They really know what they are doing.

Hope this helps...
  • luminated
    luminated Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Hi Yvonne

My local DIAL states there is an eight week wait for an appointment to see anyone about DLA issues. Did you get an appointment any sooner than this when you first rang?
  • luminated
    I now have an appointment with CAB this week and it sounds like their person who I will see is good at the appeals side of matters with DLA. So looking forward to it :j

PS Still wish I didn't have to go through all this faff but...........
  • cazpost
    cazpost Posts: 109 Forumite
    It may help to include a letter from your wife detailing your needs from her perspective. She probably does a lot of things for you that you don't even think of as being care! This did make a big difference when claiming for my late husband.
    (Not suggesting that you don't take any notice of your wife by the way ! :) )
  • yvonneem_2
    yvonneem_2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    Hi again, I had no problem with DIAL. The lady that I first spoke to was lovely. I had been refused twice by the time I spoke to them because I was sure I could fill in forms etc by myself. She stayed behind after she had finished work to meet me and filled the forms there and then. I was very very sure that with the little she had written that I would be refused yet again so I was amazed when I got HRM back dated to Jan 11.

I had had an appointment with CAB but thought that the lady I met with was rude and knew less than me about the DWP. As soon as she found out that I worked she just said "Not a chance and you shouldn't be working". She advised me to give up my work immediately and start a claim again.
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    I had had an appointment with CAB but thought that the lady I met with was rude and knew less than me about the DWP. As soon as she found out that I worked she just said "Not a chance and you shouldn't be working". She advised me to give up my work immediately and start a claim again.
    Goodness! DLA isn't an out of work benefit :eek:

As for information, the more you put the better it is IF it is worded correctly - several places like work and benefits also recommend this. I have always given plenty of information over the years and never had an issue with a claim, but it has to be worded correctly. I was increased to HRM and HRC this time and indefinitely with the extra 48 pages and the doctors report.
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • luminated
    cazpost wrote: »
    It may help to include a letter from your wife detailing your needs from her perspective. She probably does a lot of things for you that you don't even think of as being care! This did make a big difference when claiming for my late husband.
    (Not suggesting that you don't take any notice of your wife by the way ! :) )

Very good point - thank you for raising it :beer:
  • yvonneem wrote: »
    Hi again, I had no problem with DIAL.]

Please, I am new at this I am preparing my GL24 and am getting lost slightly. What does the abbrev DIAL mean?
  • luminated, when you fill in the form, make succinct what is what .. .. as in what :

- frequency & duration
    - is it done reliably, safely
    - is it intermittent or continual
    - and where appropriate is the activity using suitable aids and appliances
    - and most particularly where those activities cannot reliably be safely carried out without supervision

Most 1T's fail because insufficient quantity & quality of information, you can add as many beautifully printed A4 sides as you wish, make sure however each piece of A4 clearly states your Name: NI No: Date & Sig: and each sub heading states exactly what you comment pertains to for example : - ""My Disability Living Allowance should be more because I need attention at least eight times a day – not “infrequently” as you have said"" etc.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    I think luminated would have completed the form by now since it's last August ;)

Coffee Boy wants help with a GL 24 - I can't help here as I have never filled one.
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure