The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

cheapest way to get married abroad

we want to get married abroad, to have a fairly low key affair, can't be bothered with the whole pleasing family with lavish wedding affair. Limited funds so as cheap as poss. Any ideas where to go?, who to book with and how we go about it.
Thanks in advance
Oh in August this year

Comments

• daleyd
    daleyd Posts: 411 Forumite
    We got hitched in New Yorklast year , just me and mrsD.

Same as you didn't want the stress/hassle etc.

The whole wedding cost probably around £4 grand, including a party when we got home afterwards. Might sound a lot but I've read somewhere that the typical wedding now costs something like £15 grand or something like that.

We did it through a travel agent, there was a wedding coordinator in NY that arranged everything for us when we got over there, i.e marriage license etc. You could probably do it cheaper by arranging things yourself, but be aware there are some strange laws etc, so in my opinion the package is a safer bet

It was really good, best way I could think of doing it, got some fab memories.

If you want any more info, please let me know
    It's not a light at the end of the tunnel, it's a man with a torch and more jobs

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
  • flutterby_lil
    flutterby_lil Posts: 1,879 Forumite
    We are doing it in Florida, not sure of cost yet but will be about £5k i hope, we too are using one of the wedding packages and co-ordinater as altho it works out more expensive than booking things individually yourself, its less hassle and they have been doing it for years so know what they are talking about. Kuoni are very good for long haul.

My friend got married in Rhodes last year, went with first choice, my other friend used lindosweddings.co.uk, they have a co-ordinator called karen and she was amazing, the loved the whole day, the pics are fab. Do a google search for lindosweddings. Think the wedding package cost about £1k and then accom and flight on top, but the £1k inc ceremony and flowers, and also hair and make up package.

Good luck and congrats
  • Miss_Cinnabon
    Miss_Cinnabon Posts: 19,481
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Found this one in florida, we are thinking of going here when we renew our vows

http://www.centralfloridaweddingchapel.com/packages.html

Flights etc would be extra

Kyle
  • Miss_Scarlett
    Miss_Scarlett Posts: 123 Forumite
    Thanks Kyle that link is great
  • jojobb78
    jojobb78 Posts: 48 Forumite
    My sister got married in a 5* hotel in the dominican last year. It was booked with direct holidays and cost £1700 for the 2 of them plus £500 on top for the wedding package (plus it's not too expensive if guests are coming). If i had my time again i would definately do it this way. It was totally relaxed - infact we were all still sunbathing an hour and a half before the wedding! The wedding co-ordinator was fantastic and took care of everything, nothing was too much trouble.There was a hairdresser & beauty therapist & masseur at the hotel. The hotel she got married at was the iberostar costa dorada .Gosh I really wanna to get married again!
  • jojobb78 wrote: »
    My sister got married in a 5* hotel in the dominican last year. It was booked with direct holidays and cost £1700 for the 2 of them plus £500 on top for the wedding package (plus it's not too expensive if guests are coming). If i had my time again i would definately do it this way. It was totally relaxed - infact we were all still sunbathing an hour and a half before the wedding! The wedding co-ordinator was fantastic and took care of everything, nothing was too much trouble.There was a hairdresser & beauty therapist & masseur at the hotel. The hotel she got married at was the iberostar costa dorada .Gosh I really wanna to get married again!

HUbby and I had our Honeymoon at the Hilton Hotel in Playa Dorada in the dominican, we paid £1500 for 2 weeks all inclusive. I think the hotel was 4* but personally i think it should be 5* it was perfect, beautiful..couldn't fault it at all! I think the wedding package was £400/£500, we have said we will return there after 5 years wed and re-new our vows there.
    Fight for clean hospitals, C-DIFF takes lives :cry:

Baby number 2 due 27th March 2009!:j
  • MJMum
    MJMum Posts: 580 Forumite

Don't see the point anymore in offering advice to people who only want to be agreed with...
  • cathys1_2
    cathys1_2 Posts: 357 Forumite
    9 years and 6 days ago! Dh and I married in New York on the 102nd floor of the empire state building. We had us, and 4 others with us, they gave us a bottle of bubbly to celebrate, and lots of ESB certificates and stuff, and a free entry next time we go back!
    I know it's a long time ago, but we spent 7 nights in new york, 10 in Florida for our honeymoon, paid the ESB and a judge, and I think all of that cost less than £3k.
    We had one of the people with us take photos in central park, and @ ESB.

It was a fantastic day - people clapping and cheering that you've never met - (and never will again!) yellow cabs hooting when they see you all dressed up. I can honestly say, that all made the day extra special for us.
  • SkippyB
    SkippyB Posts: 99 Forumite
    Try this!!!

http://www.gibraltar.gov.uk/hol/WhatTo/getting_married.asp

Thats where we are going....just phone the reg office direct...book a date...book a cheap holiday...take birth certificates and passport....Job Done!!!!

:money:
    Happy to be Debt Free!!!
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I have to say my money would be on Italy for ease and cheapness of travel and general beauty of the area. There's a raft of websites offering marriage help - if you google you can find them. That way too if you wanted a couple of special people to be there they could :)

Otherwise what's wrong with gretna green? Seriously Scotland in August can be beautiful too, you could just head off and do it and announce it when you get back :)

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport