Nat West refuse bank giro payments

I have a current account with Nat West and a barclaycard.

When I recieve my barclaycard bill I prefer to pay over the counter filling in the bank giro credit slip and paying with either cash or cheque or both. As my partner has a barclay card on my account she sometimes gives me a coop bank cheque to cover her spending.

Various branches of nat west have refused to take the bank giro because I am not paying with a nat west cheque. Other times I have no problems and it seems to be luck of the draw when it comes to counter assistants.

Surely if I bank with nat west they should accept my bank giro payments?

Comments

• chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Ah... must be that "helpful banking" thing they keep advertising!
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,867
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    just ask them to pay it from your account, and bank your partners cheque
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • madgagoo
    madgagoo Posts: 354 Forumite
    edited 27 July 2011 at 6:17PM
    They should let you pay it, with no problems. Although they should ask you to prove that you are a Natwest customer - card or cheque book will suffice.
    In fact any customer can pay a barclaycard bill at a Natwest counter but would need to pay a £10 (per item) charge if they are not a Natwest customer. For Natwest customers it is free of charge, even if not using a Natwest cheque.

If you have problems in the future then ask them to check their 'other bank giro credit' rules - point out to them that it comes under 'bills'.

HTH.
  • savagej
    savagej Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    There can be an issue with BCG payment if a cheque bounces and it is not issued by the same bank at which you are paying the bill. It then becomes a three way transaction and means you could possibly get the credit on your credit card, spend it and not know for a day or two that the money if being recalled and you are stuck. Also it causes Natwest more hassle and costs more money. There have been a serious of large frauds commited using this method. It is the reason why they no longer let you use a BCG to pay into any account at any bank (you used to be able to pick up a slip and write in any sort code and account number plus reference number) unless it comes from a book of slips with the account number and sort code etc. printed on the bottom line, and also why if it is not cash the cheque must be issued on the same bank you are paying the bill at.
  • cellarboy
    cellarboy Posts: 18 Forumite
    madgagoo wrote: »
    They should let you pay it, with no problems. Although they should ask you to prove that you are a Natwest customer - card or cheque book will suffice.
    In fact any customer can pay a barclaycard bill at a Natwest counter but would need to pay a £10 (per item) charge if they are not a Natwest customer. For Natwest customers it is free of charge, even if not using a Natwest cheque.

If you have problems in the future then ask them to check their 'other bank giro credit' rules - point out to them that it comes under 'bills'.

HTH.

Thanks that is what I understood to be the case but it seems to be luck of the drawer with counter officials and younger managers.

Is there anywhere online I can see a copy of these other bank giro credit rules?
  • savagej
    savagej Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Hi cellarboy

here is a link to what you are looking for and you will find if you trawl google for long enough you will find out about the frauds that led to this situation, I am afraid madgagoo is wrong and you have not appeared to take my earlier post into consideration.

http://www.chequeandcredit.co.uk/information/-/page/795/

James
  • madgagoo
    madgagoo Posts: 354 Forumite
    cellarboy wrote: »
    Is there anywhere online I can see a copy of these other bank giro credit rules?

As far as I am aware, no. It's internal bank policy and as such I don't think that they are publicly published.
    savagej wrote: »
    Hi cellarboy

here is a link to what you are looking for and you will find if you trawl google for long enough you will find out about the frauds that led to this situation, I am afraid madgagoo is wrong and you have not appeared to take my earlier post into consideration.

Hmm, I don't think I am wrong. I'm a counter manager for the bank and I would allow my staff to accept this credit, assuming the customer did bank with Natwest. I would ask them to note the Natwest account details on the back of the credit so we had a way of tracing the customer, if something were to go wrong.

I'll check with some colleagues tomorrow and come back if I do turn out to be wrong but at this point I stand by the fact that this credit can be accepted. (I may need to come back and eat some humble pie tomorrow!!)
  • jordanlitz
    jordanlitz Posts: 24 Forumite
    cellarboy wrote: »
    I have a current account with Nat West and a barclaycard.

When I recieve my barclaycard bill I prefer to pay over the counter filling in the bank giro credit slip and paying with either cash or cheque or both. As my partner has a barclay card on my account she sometimes gives me a coop bank cheque to cover her spending.

Various branches of nat west have refused to take the bank giro because I am not paying with a nat west cheque. Other times I have no problems and it seems to be luck of the draw when it comes to counter assistants.

Surely if I bank with nat west they should accept my bank giro payments?

If the cheque/credit were to go missing in the clearing process natwest would not be able to contact you as its neither their credit or debit
  • splatt30
    splatt30 Posts: 339
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why not just get your partner to write her cheque to you then write one big cheque to the credit card from your account. Or even better to online transfers
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You can pay bills using the a bank giro credit using the CDM "Cash Deposit Machine" in branch if there is one available.

I think banks are trying to encourage people to use other payments methods now aways. This is not the first thread Ive seen regarding
    this subject of bank giro payments with Natwest.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family