How long after a spay before my dog can play rough with other dogs?

blue_monkey_2
blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
edited 24 June 2011 at 10:44AM in Pets & pet care
My dog was spayed on Saturday. I took her to the vets for POC and I asked when she could start playing with the other dog again. Vet said that I must remember that it is just like a hysterectomy in humans and we cannot even lift a kettle for 6 weeks. She also said that at 6 weeks only 21% of the uterine wal was healed and the rest was being held by sutures. I did not get the exact answer I asked for but did not think about it at the time.

I have got another appointment, thought it was silly to bother the vets as I did not get a direct answer but I have 2 rather active and energetic staffies. The older dog 'head butted' her side yesterday when the pup was trying to get her to play I am keeping them apart as play is very rough - and I mean very rough, puppy has lots of scrapes where they roll around the floor and push each other over We have a huge garden so there is lot sof charging up and down involved too. Puppy spends her days trying to get her to play by biting her legs when she has the chance so most of the day they are kept in different rooms. It's hard enough to stop her trying to jump up.

I know I have to keep them apart, but how long for please? Everything is looking fine on the outside at the moment but I do not want to jepodise what is going on in the inside because of rough play, if it means a few extra weeks them so be it, but if anyone can advise. Reading into what the vet was saying I it would be 2-3 months before I can let them play in the same way again. Is this right?? I just want to make sure I do not jeapodise her recovery by putting them together too soon. Ta.

Comments

• Kittendreich
    Kittendreich Posts: 420 Forumite
    I'd go with at least 6 weeks anyway (as this is what the vet hinted at), but phone the vet and ask for confirmation. Dogs seem to have a high pain threshold, particularly when they are having fun so she might seem ok when playing, but actually be hurting quite a bit. Our dog has had 2 leg injuries and each time it was at least 3-4 months before he went back to normal exercise. It was really difficult, but worth it to make sure there was limited risk of a setback causing problems in the longer term.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    As per Glad's sticky "please be aware that asking for or posting specific vet/medical/treatment advice will be against the rules and therefore removed." You probably didn't get the answer you hoped for, as it will vary from dog to dog just as it varies from person to person. Why not ring your vet practice and ask for clarification? Seems to me rather too important to risk getting out of date advice from unqualified people on a message board.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • blue_monkey_2
    edited 26 June 2011 at 8:32PM
    Well, back form another trip to the vets as the dog has been throwing up and I was worried about an infection, I think she ate something dodgy outside and has been on chicken and rice and seems to be a bit better.

But I asked this vet (same practice) and she told me 10 days, with an extra week before VERY rough play. So that is 17 days. Which is a bit different to the 6 weeks plus I was informed last week.

So still none the wiser.

I am not sure what the answer was I was 'hoping' for was Fire Fox. 6 weeks for me does not seem enough time for a dog that has had major surgery to be charging around and being body slammed by another dog double her size and weight. I thought it would be much longer, so this is why I asked. Someone must have had their dog done that has been told how long. I am going away on holiday in 4 weeks time and do not want her ripping herself open while she is with my sister (who house sits for us so they will be here). I am going back again on Tuesday so I will ask again and see what the next one says as 17 days is quite frightening. If a person has surgery they would not be running around 17 days after a hysterectomy??!!

My other dog had lots of other problems and was allergic to the stitches they put inside her so it took 7 weeks and a lot of trips to the vets for her to heal properly (she still has a big scar on her belly a year on) but this pup seems to be healing nicely.

I knew teaching her the 'Flat' command would come in useful one day!!! The vet got a good look at her belly that way. My dog trainer will be proud!! :D
  • Fire_Fox
    Forumite
    But I asked this vet (same practice) and she told me 10 days, with an extra week before VERY rough play. So that is 17 days. Which is a bit different to the 6 weeks plus I was informed last week.

So still none the wiser.

I am not sure what the answer was I was 'hoping' for was Fire Fox. 6 weeks for me does not seem enough time for a dog that has had major surgery to be charging around and being body slammed by another dog double her size and weight. I thought it would be much longer, so this is why I asked. Someone must have had their dog done that has been told how long. I am going away on holiday in 4 weeks time and do not want her ripping herself open while she is with my sister (who house sits for us so they will be here). I am going back again on Tuesday so I will ask again and see what the next one says as 17 days is quite frightening. If a person has surgery they would not be running around 17 days after a hysterectomy??!!

Few humans go into a hysterectomy at the equivalent life stage to a dog or cat, nor are we as strong and flexible, nor do most expect to wrestle at any point afterwards. Running on concrete on two legs does not put the same stress on the body as running on grass on four.

What answer are you hoping for? One vet intimated six weeks which you don't appear to be comfortable with as you posted here and asked another vet. Now you are being told seventeen days and you are not happy with that answer either; did you tell this vet exactly what the other one said to you?
  • blue_monkey_2
    What answer am I hoping for? I am not sure what you mean by that. I want to know if anyone here has 2 or more dogs, that have let them play after they have been spayed TO PUT MY MIND AT REST. I am not asking for answers, I want to know if my dog will be safe to go and play and does not rip herself open. Is there any harm in wanting to make sure your pet is safe before they do something because you feel it is not a long enough time.

You told me to ask the vet and so I did. And no this vet did not tell me about the adbominal wall being just 21% healed and the rest sutured by 6 weeks. I guess she missed that seminar. The other vet told me she was at a lecture when she was told that and that none of the vets there knew that.

Christ, why the attitude with me for wanting to make sure my dog is safe and not injured again. Is there any harm in wanting to make sure I look after my pet and keep her safe after such a big op? Just because you know it all, others do not, I do not know anyone with female dogs either, they all have boys so no, I do not know any 'real life' people that I can ask so I asked on here. This is obviously not asking for medical advice but for experiences of other pet owners so they can set my mind at rest and tell me that they let their dog play and she will be safe.
  • Fire_Fox
    Forumite
    What answer am I hoping for? I am not sure what you mean by that. I want to know if anyone here has 2 or more dogs, that have let them play after they have been spayed TO PUT MY MIND AT REST. I am not asking for answers, I want to know if my dog will be safe to go and play and does not rip herself open. Is there any harm in wanting to make sure your pet is safe before they do something because you feel it is not a long enough time.

You told me to ask the vet and so I did. And no this vet did not tell me about the adbominal wall being just 21% healed and the rest sutured by 6 weeks. I guess she missed that seminar. The other vet told me she was at a lecture when she was told that and that none of the vets there knew that.

Christ, why the attitude with me for wanting to make sure my dog is safe and not injured again. Is there any harm in wanting to make sure I look after my pet and keep her safe after such a big op? Just because you know it all, others do not, I do not know anyone with female dogs either, they all have boys so no, I do not know any 'real life' people that I can ask so I asked on here. This is obviously not asking for medical advice but for experiences of other pet owners so they can set my mind at rest and tell me that they let their dog play and she will be safe.

Paranoia will get you nowhere. I asked the exact question I wanted to ask because I hoped to make you think about ... what you really want to hear and you have now answered that. You didn't want a timescale because you had that from two qualified vets - who have probably seen more spays between them than anyone on MSE. You wanted tea and sympathy which is quite reasonable for a loving owner, instead you asked how long after an operation your dog could regain their former activity level. As someone who works in human healthcare (physical activity!) I can assure you that constitutes medical advice.
  • blue_monkey_2
    Paranoia? It's not me that has issues so do not put yours onto me!! Did you forget your medication today or just get out of bed on the wrong side?

What point was you trying to make with another of your pointless answers? Well, not often I put someone on ignore but can't be doing with attitude like yours towards that to people for no reason. Bye.
  • pinetree
    pinetree Posts: 239 Forumite
    Hi Its difficult especially with a young dog who wants to play, I would not let them have a rough and tumble for about 6 weeks, would the younger dog be ok if you took her out on her own got her tired so she didnt want to play so much with your older dog or would the older dog fret it, may work, good luck it will be over soon :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure