We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Mortar Bees

Comments

• pollyskettle
    pollyskettle Posts: 2,163 Forumite
    Oh, don't apologise. it's ok.

I'd like to point out the following, before I get vilified for not knowing what these darn things are.

Firstly, I see something looking bee/wasp like disappearing into the vent hole things in my home. As I have no idea what these are, but bee.wasp thing = sting/nest/problem in my mind, I ring my OH.

He tells me that they are mortar bees and that they will slowly destroy the mortar in my home and I have to get them dealt with before they cause a real problem.

I google for 'mortar bees' and find a plethora of sites offering to come and kill them for me. I don't think this is a good idea. I also discover that they are probably stingless - this obviously pleases me. I read a couple of .gov.uk sites which inform me that they will indeed damage the house.

As I'm getting reasonably conflicting information regarding these things, I think it might be best to ask on here as you lot are pretty knowledgeable about most things garden-like. So I do. Next thing I know you're having a go at me and making vague attempts to patronise me as I have never heard of these things before and have no idea:
    a) what damage they can do?
    b) if they are a real problem or not?
    c) if I need to do anything about them pronto?

Yes, I would prefer it if they moved elsewhere. You may not see what the problem is, Annie, but that's because you are not me and if we were all the same with the same quirks, the world would be a boring place. I don't particularly like flying things. I like looking at butterflies, if they fly near me, I scream like a girl. I wish I didn't, but hey-ho. Therefore little flying bee like insect flying around my back door provides me with a problem.

If they don't move, I'll live with it. I simply wondered if there was something simple, non-murdering that I could do to encourage them elsewhere.

Annie - your link doesn't work, I get a word page with the word 'comm' on it and nothing else.

I will, however, apologise profusely for the only thing which I can, which is my ignorance in, what is obviously, a highly emotive subject.
    "A cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make them biscuits." - Mary Cooper
    "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
  • pollyskettle
    OK - now I feel I should apologise for getting a bit stroppy.

Sorry :o
    "A cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make them biscuits." - Mary Cooper
    "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    OK - now I feel I should apologise for getting a bit stroppy.

Sorry :o
    Me too, now please google "mason bees" and find out what you want to know.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • pollyskettle
    Me too, now please google "mason bees" and find out what you want to know.

I'm on it :o

Thank you
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Try this link in pdf this time:
    http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/pdf/Mortar%20beesA4.pdf

they wont damage your brickwork, they enter via already 'damaged' pointing or soft brickwork.
    Its usually via old mortar that has softened and needs re doing. As you are not the home owner, the HA will have someone come down and re do the bit of damaged pointing.
    Past experience of this is that the bees usually find a way out after they are sealed in!, so dont be surprised if you find them elsewhere.
    You can't move I'm afraid they dont make nests.

I wasn't be statistic, I didnt see what the problem was, but if you dont like flying things .....then I can see what your problem is.
  • pollyskettle
    Thanks for the link, Annie - that one's working fine :)

I read somewhere that it's old mortar that they go for, but my house is only 2 years old :confused:. They seem to be entering through those vent things (slim rectangular things in between the brickwork), rather than the mortar/brickwork direct, so I think they're here to stay as they couldn't be sealed.

You should see me going out the back door. If there's no child handy to take a peek and see if they're flying around, I have to poke my head out a couple of times until I'm certain they're not near and then I'll run out. The neighbours must think I've lost it completely :rotfl:. Comfortingly, your link tells me it's only for a few weeks each spring - I can live with that :o.
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If its the vent then you could cover it temporarily so that they use another vent away from the back door, or cover any vents near any doors you use, then that way you wont be bothered by them and they can carry on as they were, they wont be there long.
  • pollyskettle
    Thanks, Annie. That seems like a good compromise - I think I'll give that a go.

:)
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If you cover the vent you will probably be killing the bees inside and all the young if they have laid eggs.

They do go for old mortar, trouble is there isn't always enough around, hence they will be finding other ways to survive.

Please look after them, they are a gift, you already know they won't hurt you or your family. You've already said you need bees in your garden. I bet you would be on here complaining if your garden wasn't pollinated, well it only gets pollinated if there are actually bees to do it.
    Treat it as a teaching aid and teach your boys something important.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • pollyskettle
    OK, not such a good compromise. Crikey, this gardening malarkey is one steep learning curve!

Right, plan of the night (whether I'll agree with it in the morning, who knows :D) is to let them be. See if I can live with them. If it's only for a few short weeks I'll manage somehow - I could always use the front door and gate to access the garden instead of the back door if there's too many of them.

What a wuss I am! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure