Claiming back tax for washing/maintaining your work uniform

Options
Hi, I don't wear one, but my OH does and my friend let me know today about being able to claim back tax for washing it etc. I've seen the info page on the MSE main site, but wondered if anyone had had any success in doing this as yet?

Thank you!

Comments

• ncsmummy
    ncsmummy Posts: 450 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    Yep, my hubby found out about this a couple of years ago and spoke to someone at our local tax office ad they sorted it out.
  • moneypuddle
    Options
    Thanks you. My search facility doesnt work well on the iPad
  • Cherry_Bomb
    Options
    Yes it's true! I rang my local tax office when I started uni and my tax code was amended. I think I get a £100 allowance for the year
  • jfh7gwa
    jfh7gwa Posts: 450 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, when I found this out, I managed to claim for the three years where I had job where I had to wear a uniform - found out via this website, was really easy to claim in terms of paperwork! :)
  • familyms
    Options
    HI

My Husband is required to wear a uniform for his current job, and has done for the past 5 years, we launder his uniform every week, will be able to claim for the past years, and if so, do you do it online or need to contact your local tax office, and if so is it straight forward! Thank you
  • Lolasmom
    Lolasmom Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    I recently wrote to the tax office to claim for laundry expenses, all they have sent me is an amended tax code allowing £60 for flat rate job expenses (for laundry) This is just for year 06.04.2012 to 06.04.2013.

I would rather have the cash back and wondered has anyone actually got a cheque back for the amount they've overpaid?

I am going to write to them - as they have ignored the fact I have also claimed for past 4 years!
    :(

Wishlist
    Roberts radio, I Phone, Philips Lumea, Clarisonic Mia, Holiday, cash/vouchers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure