The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

'supporting each other through really tough times'

Comments

• meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Pinkie and Bossymoo.

Fuddle, really did miss you...would second advice to be cautious about quitting ADs.

All good wishes for many years of health and happiness Stiltwalker.

Sleep well all

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • lisakay_2
    lisakay_2 Posts: 435 Forumite
    Kidcat, chuck us a scone please ;)

Yay, new thread :D

hope you've all had a good day, will go back and make sure i've not missed much on the old thread shortly x

Things here are looking to get really tough soon :(
    Apart from DH's possible redundancy, he also has arthritis in both hips and is really struggling with the pain. He did a couple of driving shifts (Overtime, he's normally in the office) and can barely walk today, which means he'll have to cut back on the OT and possibly have to take sick leave at some point for another op...we'll be up that creek, will have to start whittling a paddle out of recycled pallets!
    I'm going to up the ante on advertising my childminding more and I have a seed of an idea starting to germinate to sell some crafts/run some courses at the school.

We have 18mths left to pay on a loan, that with both incomes is being paid off comfortably, but going to start cutting back further on outgoings to try and pay it off early. Sky tv already cancelled (but have now got it free until after christmas and it's on the calendar to cancel before we have to pay again). the animals are already happy eating the cheapest food and DH agreed to no more beer and to cut back on meat portions (he would happily eat 3 or 4 pork chops in one meal:eek: he'll now be getting one and only one!!)
    everything in this house gets recycled, repurposed, reused and lots of other people offload stuff that they can't use because they know I will. (one of my colleagues laughed at me when I grabbed a big plastic tub with a lid out of the bin to store the kids lego in because you can buy one for a quid...there gonna laugh at me even more when i rifle through the bin for the big baked bean tins to repurpose ;) )

operation skinflint has begun!!! :T
    freecycler and skip diver extraordinnaire:cool:
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    lisa - have you considered DLA for your hubbys arthritus? If its that painful and ongoing he may get at least a little to help.
    Have a scone, in fact have two - I baked fifty this morning in a major operation to keep me focussed and make sure we had something nice to offer new people. :)
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    DH was made redundant at end of Aug and we have had a battle to get even JSA it took 6 weeks before we got any payments, (not sure how they thought we'd pay the bills).

We have been waiting on the Gov to pay the redundancy as the firm went into Insolvency. Have had a letter through to say it will be within the next few weeks, so then we can look at the next stage.

So it has been belt tightening all round in the meantime.

DH is hoping to set up his own House and Garden Clearance business once the money comes through as there seems to be lots of work for people doing that.

Anyways onwards and upwards
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • lisakay_2
    lisakay_2 Posts: 435 Forumite
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7156392_clean-hunter-wellies.html

here ya go fuddle x
    hi pinkieminkie and bossy moo.
  • The_Dragon
    The_Dragon Posts: 9,749 Forumite
    Blimey a new thread already! :eek:

Happy new thread folks!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup :D
    NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) :(C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - £39.43
    :p Every Penny's a Prisoner :p
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Woo hoo, new thread! Nice to see you back Fuddle, otherwise you were scheduled for a PM tonight!
    Welcome Pinkie and hello again Bossymoo.
    DH now has a contract to sign and no firm offer from the other company so it looks like the decision will be made for him, thank goodness for that! He may even be starting work on Monday which I guess will mean almost a full month's wages at the end of November. Our bank account may go into shock, particularly since this weekend will need to be spent adding to the one and only suit he has in his wardrobe!
    Wishing good wedding vibes for tomorrow.......
  • we haven't looked into any benefits yet, but having been daft with money in the past and having got together with DH when he had big debts from a previous marriage, we have high outgoings that wouldn't get paid by benefits. It's all ours to deal with ;) how lovely! once that one loan is paid off we'll have a lot more breathing space and will look into what we could get to help if he needs to take time off. will keep hoping that this winter isn't too cold as that makes it worse for him (and me, because he's a grump when he's in pain (as i would be too)).
    IME things rarely turn out as badly as you expect them too, so we'll be hoping for the best, whilst preparing for the worst.

ETAn ooooh yes! the wedding! here;s hoping you have a fabulous day, with love, Lisa x
  • kidcat
    Forumite
    possession - am really pleased for you :)
  • kidcat
    Forumite
    lisa- if he is entitled to DLA he will get that now whilst working
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts