What on Earth does quantitative easing mean?

Former_MSE_Guy
Former_MSE_Guy Posts: 1,650 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 6 October 2011 at 1:24PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Just click reply to post.

Comments

• vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Printing money and letting it loose in the economy.
    Work a treat in Zimbabwe....
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • tagq2
    tagq2 Posts: 382 Forumite
    l fully expect a series of follow-ups entitled "gold standard and fiat currency - an angry contrast of deflation and inflation", "fractional reserve banking - I wish I could do that with my money!", "the Federal Reserve - investment masterpiece or ponzi?" and "how to troll Internet Libertarians".
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Is it a euphemism for colonic irrigation ?
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Oh well, thanks for not explaining it. Probably best really. :)

There's a more detailed explanation at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_easing. :rotfl:
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In a nutshell:

Taxpayers bailing the Bankers out (again)
  • dtsazza
    dtsazza Posts: 6,295 Forumite
    I disagree with the general assessment - the point of the "jargon" is that it refers to a very specific (and well-defined) product which only exists in the financial sphere. The name is accurate and refers to exactly what that product is. The complaint seems analogous to complaining about using the jargon term of referring to a creature as a "cat", without specifying that you mean a small domesticated short-haired feline mammal - just because you hadn't heard the term cat before. Jargon is often just a term for any specific (and useful!) words related to a given field that the reader/listener doesn't understand, and while it has negative connotations it shouldn't.

We use names as labels - "CDS" refers to exactly that class of instrument, much more specifically and concisely than "insurance taken by lenders in case their borrowers don’t pay loans back" does.

Of course the intended audience needs to be taken into account - there's no point using terms that you know of your audience aren't going to understand, if you intend to inform them. But the other side of the coin is the risk of oversimplifying things; at the risk of sounding snobbish, if someone doesn't know what CDS or quantitative easing refers to (and aren't willing to spend thirty seconds looking it up on Google), they're unlikely to have an understanding of the broader context anyway.

In light of that, I see no problem in the official pronouncement being in the accurate "jargon" so that those who understand what's being said get it at face value; and then commentators translating it into simpler analogies for those that didn't get the specific definition. It's the best of both worlds that way.
  • Spot on dtsazza. The jargon is there for the people who use it not the layman. If we the public do not understand it, that is either our fault (for not finding out) or the fault of those reporting it for not explaining it in plain English.
  • tagq2
    tagq2 Posts: 382 Forumite
    Shell shock -> Combat stress reaction
    Printing money -> Quantitative easing

The terms on the right are more recent and may refer to a more precisely defined experience but constituent words have much less impact. "Oh, it's not shocking, it's just a reaction." "Oh, it's not [e-]printing, it's just easing."

Carlin delivered a good monologue on this (it's got even worse than merely "PTSD" now).
  • It means the banks are given money, HM Government then HOPE that the banks will lend this out. More likely they will horde it all.

To you and me that means there is more money out there, so paper money becomes worth less than it was before they printed it. This results in HIGH INFLATION.

QE is NOT good news for savers, and is more bad news with interest rates so low the money sitting in the bank is now eroding away :-( The only solution I see is to risk capital for higher returns on the stock market, commodities and futures. But having fingers burn't in the past, feel that is a very risky strategy, so have to put up with these pittyful rates of return on investment with the banks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure