Hamper for male born in 1962

Thanks to the hamper ideas in this forum I have decided to do one for my hubby based on a back to your youth theme. My problem is that I was a 70s child so am a bit stuck for what would have been around. I know he liked the Herbs but what sort of sweets and comics might have been around then? Any ideas (cheap if poss!) would be gratefully received.

Comments

• How about a time of your life dvd. I put one in my FIL's hamper. It's a dvd with news & events on the year of your birth. I got it from WH Smith on line,it cost 7.69 but I oredered it last weeks when they had a 10% off day.

I was born in 1960 & am trying to think back to when I was younger & what we did.

Cresta fizzy pop was a fave drink & I think you can still get it, but it does not taste the same.
    Bazooka joe bubble gum
    Smiths salt & shake crisps ( I remember them costing 6 old pence which is now 2 1/2p)
    What about trying to get some old pre decimal coins & notes. I've seen then on the old market stall & antique shops
    Shaker maker was a toy back then that you can still get
    Starsky & Hutch was a big hit on the tv when I was a young teen -you maybe could do a web search on ebay or similar
    Hits from the 70's dvd, although we all had them on vinyl
    I remember a toy craze called kanackers that was 2 very hard plastic balls hanging on string attatched to a small holder, you had to shake it to get the balls to meet top & bottom. They were lethal & I remember them causing injuries to users. I have seen smaller versions of them today but they are on plastic stalks, not string.
    Brut aftershave
    Strongbow cider

HTH

I'm sure I'll think of loads later & will add to this thread.
  • chatta
    chatta Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Beano and Dandy comics were favourites, we played marbles in playground. My brother had matchbox cars, and corgie ones. You can get a Watch with Mother video or DVD. That was when we watched the Herbs. Andy Pandy, Pogles Wood. Will also try to think of more things x
  • Loved Trumpton and Candlewick Green, not forgetting Dear old Hectar. Hand knitted tops. Enid Blyton Books. Flying Saucers. Scooters with side cars. Schweps Lemonade. Jacks. Conkers on shoe laces. French Skipping. Sorry I was a '62 Girl. Trips to Margate. Maybe a scrapbook of clips/cuttings from then, interacted with some actual family photo's or postcards of the time, fashion, vehicles, kids playing, local scenes.
  • truly1
    truly1 Posts: 514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How about a time of your life dvd. I put one in my FIL's hamper. It's a dvd with news & events on the year of your birth. I got it from WH Smith on line,it cost 7.69 but I oredered it last weeks when they had a 10% off day.

I was born in 1960 & am trying to think back to when I was younger & what we did.

Cresta fizzy pop was a fave drink & I think you can still get it, but it does not taste the same.
    Bazooka joe bubble gum
    Smiths salt & shake crisps ( I remember them costing 6 old pence which is now 2 1/2p)
    What about trying to get some old pre decimal coins & notes. I've seen then on the old market stall & antique shops
    Shaker maker was a toy back then that you can still get
    Starsky & Hutch was a big hit on the tv when I was a young teen -you maybe could do a web search on ebay or similar
    Hits from the 70's dvd, although we all had them on vinyl
    I remember a toy craze called kanackers that was 2 very hard plastic balls hanging on string attatched to a small holder, you had to shake it to get the balls to meet top & bottom. They were lethal & I remember them causing injuries to users. I have seen smaller versions of them today but they are on plastic stalks, not string.
    Brut aftershave
    Strongbow cider

HTH

I'm sure I'll think of loads later & will add to this thread.

I'm sure we called these things clackers (klackers), as even then the word kanackers (knackers) was a bit rude / mum would have cuffed me one!
    1373/10000
  • hi tracey ...after reading your post iv decided to make a similar hamper for my mum ... i got loads of ideas from https://www.doyouremember.co.uk

*WARNING: makes you remember how old you really are*
    "Do not look back and grieve over the past, for it is gone, and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering"
  • truly1 wrote:
    I'm sure we called these things clackers (klackers), as even then the word kanackers (knackers) was a bit rude / mum would have cuffed me one!

OOOPS!! I think you are right there.
    Sorry about that. Whenever they come to mind & I often think about them & how dangerous they were I honestly thought that's what they were called.

I stand corrected!

And yes my Mum would have cuffed me had I come out with that one.
  • Puzzle ring
    Sherbet dib dabs
    Hooped tank top
  • chatta
    chatta Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    truly1 wrote:

Sorry I remember them as kanackers as well ;) Just thought of a drink Tizer :eek:
  • You've got to get marbles. My brother was always playing with his :eek: I also remember he had a James Bond car with an ejector seat and and a shield that came up at the back and the front and rear lights did something, not sure what though. Lucky Bags from the sweet shop with sweets inside and a little toy. Bubble gum, sweet cigarettes.
  • Hi, thanks for all of your ideas, I will have great fun shopping for this on Saturday now I've got some ideas of what to look for. The clackers conversation gave me a chuckle too, so ideas and laughter all in one ... what would I do without MSE :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure