PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

chipped crockery, possible to repair?

Comments

• jexygirl
    jexygirl Posts: 753 Forumite
    we arent allowed to have chipped crockery for H&S reasons, I would love to go for the mismatched look as i think its "rustic" but we decided on the white route! its all white, and tho i aim for all square to try and make it look like it matches, I cant afford to be too picky. Got a great ebay bargain on some square side / starter plates, and also a great commercial crockery discount place through a google search, has saved on gym subs as the main course plates weigh a dam ton! (if front of house annoy me, I make stuff in other bowls and insist that things like veg is served on a bowl on the same plate too! lol)
    The commercial "chip resistant " stuff is holding up well and is only slightly more than domestic prices, so I will go commercial when i can afford to as it really seems to be more hardwearing.
    Jex
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I will pay jexygirl the compliment of saying that she invariably writes a lot of sense!
    and she finally worked out after 4 months, how to make that quote her sig! :rotfl:
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It looks a bit cheap and nasty and it harbours germs. And chips can cut your mouth or fingers during use. Unless it's something decorative it's better to chuck chipped crockery out. My council takes chipped and broken china in the glass recycling box.

My chip-free crockery is a massive 8 place plus all extras set of Royal Doulton Lambeth Stoneware, accumulated by my mum in the 70's from the Royal Doulton seconds shop. The shapes of the basic pieces are absolutely classic and timeless, Mum went for a very simple pattern rather than a 70's one and the whole lot is dishwasher and oven proof. I've had all of it for ten years now and in that time one piece has got broken and one plate has got chipped. I've bought other pieces from Ebay and worked it up into a 12-place set, plus spares, plus a couple of extra serving dishes. And I've got all the funny 70's shapes as well, like the pottery goblets for prawn cocktails (!) and the taaaall coffee pot.
    It will outlast me, that's for sure. 35 years old, that set, and looks like new.
    Val.
  • joyfull
    joyfull Posts: 861 Forumite
    Thanks to everyone for the interesting posts. I already get the odd pretty & old plate from jumbles & boot fairs & they seem tough. You certainly get what you pay for these days. I'll also experiment with covering chips with craft varnish - we'll see. I wouldn't put food in contact with a chip so am pretty aware of hygiene issues.
    "Sometimes letting things go is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on.”
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    wssla00 wrote: »
    I would recycle them into something else like plant pots...

Sorry for jumping into this thread but I just wanted to say thanks for this idea. I've got a blue-striped bowl that was / is a real favourite - it's too chipped to use but I haven't been able to bring myself to throw it out. I'm now going to do exactly as you suggest and turn it into a plant pot - I've got an African violet that needs a new home, so it can go and live in my favourite bowl. Thank you VERY much for suggesting it. :T
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    No Probs :D
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,326
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 24 February 2010 at 1:01PM
    This thread has just confirmed my suspicions that modern pottery just isn't made like the old stuff. I am frequently having to throw out items with chips on. Was blaming bad loading of the dishwasher but I think there's more to it. Stuff I bought back in late seventies and early eighties seemed to be much more hard wearing. In fact I think there is some stashed up in the loft as I wanted bigger sets. I think I shall ressurect some rather than buying yet more cheap replacements.

I have some Tesco's 'value' white bowls, plain white glass type like pyrex and they seem quite hardwearing just not particularly pretty.
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Everything is like that now though. I had a brilliant washing machine which last six years and it was one from the 70's then it sadly died and I got a new one which lasted about a month over the warranty GRRRR Must be our attitudes to consumption :S
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • wssla00 wrote: »
    Everything is like that now though. I had a brilliant washing machine which last six years and it was one from the 70's then it sadly died and I got a new one which lasted about a month over the warranty GRRRR Must be our attitudes to consumption :S

This is so true. Thing is I remember back in the seventies relations complaining that items didn't last as long and five or six years was though to be 'not long' ! My parents expected electrical items to last 10 to 20 years ! Unimaginable now ! It seems so sad that the young are now 'preconditioned' to upgrade items like phones, furniture, household items at what seems to me very short intervals.

I am hoping the recession will encourage people to 'buy to last' but equally it could swing more towards the cheaper side of the market if that's all they can afford at the time :(
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This phenomenon I believe is called 'planned obsolescence' - manufacturers plan for things to break sooner rather than later so consumers are forced to replace them, thereby increasing profits for the manufacturers...

Not sure if crockery is subject to this, may just be made of cheaper materials to keep costs down, but it does have the same side effect of allowing the manufacturers to sell more...

Cynical? Moi? Never! :rotfl:
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • Last straw : teeniest chip - but on my favourite mug.
    Luckily it is not on the side from which I sip; so I will try one of the following :

:o:o:o and now I realise I am not allowed to post links! :o:o:o

I think I gathered a lot of useful info, but I am too slow and tired to go through it all.
    I found several good articles when I googled "repair chip china" and a couple more on Ask Jeeves.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure