Lodgers count as income towards mortgage?

Just after a little bit of advice/knowledge as to whether having a lodger would count towards income when applying for a mortgage?

If so does anybody know which morgage lenders do?

Thanks
elles_belles

Comments

• Helga14
    Helga14 Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker I won, I won, I won!
    Have you got a mortage already? I share my house with my boyfriend but he isn't on the mortgage and he pays rent/share of bills. I went to remortgage and the building society person said that was I was doing was actually against the terms of my mortgage as by recieving rent it was turning the premises into commercial premises. He certainly wouldn't count his rent as an income in order for me to get more money for the the mortgage.

If you have a lodger make sure the insurance you get would cover this.
    Top wins in 2018: Trip to Iceland, helicopter ride over london, couples massage, £300 flight from Pringles, trip to Paris, cocktail making class and afternoon tea up the shard. .

Top wins in 2017:holiday to the Bahamas, trip to Paris, meal with champagne, a week in a manor house in France with £500 spending money.
  • Leon_W
    Leon_W Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    elles_belles

To answer your question, no.

Lodgers can be a pretty transient bunch and lenders are not willing to allow this income. If you think about it, and say they did, there would be nothing wrong with taking in 4 or 5 lodgers, getting a dirty great big mortgage, kicking them all out and then trying to struggle along on your own. Lenders HAVE to be seen to be lending responsibly and are frequently visited by the FSA so I wouldn't want to be in their shoes when trying to explain the above scenario !!

Regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport