PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Yuck - Maggots In The Bin Help!!!

Comments

• We have been invaided by flys today from our bin, we too have the alternate collection weeks and our non-recycling bin is full to the brim this time round. I am fed up with flys round the cat food bowls and in the kitchen, its totally yucky! I don't go near enough to the bin to know if there are maggots in it but I flippin hope not.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    fsdss wrote:
    hubby put in the bin a dead animal that he found in the garden with its head chewed off...more than likely the lovely fox........lovely glad i didn't see it.

This will most definitely be your source of maggots and the dead animal would have been attacked by flies and the eggs laid before your hubby even discarded of it! In normal cases, you wouldn't get maggots in a wheelie bin, unless of course it was so full the lid won't close properly, so you can blame your hubby for your infestation :D

You'll need to kill them all off before they morph into flies themsleves and perpetuate the problem by laying more eggs ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why wouldn't you normally get maggots in a bin? Just wondering as I've heard more and more people comlain of them since councils started fortnightly collections.

Curry_Queen fantastic to see you back lass

x x
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Murtle wrote:
    Why wouldn't you normally get maggots in a bin? Just wondering as I've heard more and more people comlain of them since councils started fortnightly collections.

Curry_Queen fantastic to see you back lass

x x

Thanks hun :A

Maggots only occur where flies (the big buzzy variety) have laid eggs, so if the bin lid is closed properly then flies can't get in, or at least shouldn't be able to ;)

Of course there's always a chance one could fly in and get trapped while you've got the bin open :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hmmm must stop trapping them in the bin ;) yuck - ickky things!!!
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Murtle wrote:
    Just wondering as I've heard more and more people comlain of them since councils started fortnightly collections.

If councils are aware of these maggots then why don't they go back to weekly collections? I'm hoping our council don't go to fortnightly :eek:
  • if you think thats bad...i;ve had them in the cupboard!
    nightmares for months:eek:

uggh, i could barely bare to post that
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They appeared in my cats' dish once. Ugh! Cats didn't seem to care though...
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Yeah but stuff that creates live maggots would have to be there for days...
  • fsdss
    fsdss Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hey ----got hubby this pm to triple bag everything in the bin and take it to the tip, then he washed the bin out, power washed n steam cleaned it (and the patio) ,poured a bucket load of salt in the bottom..........................but not without saving a few maggots to give to the kids next door in a tupperware box.........who took them on a fishing trip this evening....cheers
    Give blood - its free
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport