Wash your uniform at home ?

Comments

• Anya
    Anya Posts: 590 Forumite
    My husband works in a nursery. They have washing facilities for childrens clothes but not for staff - would he still be eligible? He also changed jobs last year - would he be able to claim for the three years he was at his previous workplace and would we need to send 2 letters or combine it into one?
    Accepted offer on our house - Sept 2006
    Offer accepted on house we wanted - October 2006
    Survey completed - November 2006
    Searches completed - January 2007
    Vendor pulls out January 2007 - Aaaagghhh :mad:
    Offer accepted on next house - January 2007
    Survey completed - February 2007
    Searches sent - Febraury 2007
    Exchanged and Completed March 16th 2007!
    Phew!
    Decorating started 5/4/07
    Bathroom ripped out 18/3/07!

Baby due 23/4/07!
  • shrek101
    shrek101 Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    Got our letter sent off to local tax office, fingers crossed.

I saw some mention of this on working lunch the other day. They were telling people how to work out your correct amount fo tax via your tax code. They then went on to interview a chap who works for a company who does this for a living. Besides being questioned as to why people need them hen they cliam 60% of the back tax or something like that, it was high percentage. He happened to mention tax for washing uniforms.

I found oput the part about your tax code

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/4485833.stm

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you
  • shrek101
    shrek101 Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    Also found this

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/senew/SE32482.htm

The employees in a factory are provided with protective overalls but have to wash the overalls themselves. In 1998/99 the employer makes a payment of 50p per week to each employee as a contribution to the cost. The overalls get so dirty that they need to be washed in a high temperature wash separate from other clothes. It is agreed that the laundry costs suggested in SE32485 are reasonable.

There is an agreement that the payment of 50p per week may be made without deduction of tax, see SE05200. The cost of washing the overalls is deductible, see SE32480. The net cost will be £19 for 1998/99 (£45 less £26).

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    WOW thanks for this, mr divadee has to wear a unifrm for work (retail shop) and you would never ever wear it out of the house (its nasty) so i am gonna write off and try and claim back what we are owed. hope it works, hes worked there for 15 years but as 6 is the most they will pay, should hopefully get the maximum.
  • OVERTHEODDS
    OVERTHEODDS Posts: 128 Forumite
    Does this apply to nurses working for the NHS?
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Does this apply to nurses working for the NHS?

Have a look here for details on nurses uniforms. Hope that helps.
  • OVERTHEODDS
    OVERTHEODDS Posts: 128 Forumite
    Thank You!
  • carl310166
    carl310166 Posts: 747 Forumite
    Quite a few of my workmates in Royal Mail have written off to the Tax Office.

They have started to receive replies stating that their tax codes have already been adjusted to take the cleaning into account,but we can claim tax relief on contributions to our death grants via union subscriptions.

If any Royal Mail worker would like a copy of this standard letter,PM me.
    Sponsored by Tesco Clubcard Points !!
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    typical, i work for Customs and I cant seem to find any mention of whether I can claim, if I can do you also think I can get an extra allowance for cleaning materials for my handcuff???
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • AndyR_3
    AndyR_3 Posts: 324 Forumite
    I wrote off to claim, and got a reply back saying I was already recieving the benefit. I wansn't, so I wrote back requesting they double check. I just had a reply saying I recieved the benefit in my previous job (until 2002) but have not recieved it for my current job. However, they have also discovered I payed too little tax in 2002. The amount of underpaid tax is the same as what I'm owed for cleaning my uniform, so they're not giving me any money back. They've changed my tax code though.

Ho-hum
    Amazon sellers club - member number 63.
    January challange - sell 10 items. 0 down, 10 to go!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback