IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Meteor / Southeastern Parking

Hi,

Apologies if this has been dealt with on other messages but I have just joined and wish to put a summary of my case and ask for advice.

I have three parking 'tickets' (I know, I know) to deal with. All have been issued by Meteor Parking Services who operate for Southeastern Railway carparks.

Ticket 1 - Issued as notice of 'breach of terms and conditions'. I over-ran on this one, did not appeal by the deadline, finally appealed (along with the other 2) and offered £20 as a remedy against lost income. This was refused, escalated and I am now being asked for £165 or a threat of a summons to magistrates court.

Ticket 2 - I never received this one, so when I got my first letter demanding £90 I wrote back advising that I had not received anything. I got a response from Meteor saying my appeal was too late (not within 7 days - but of course it's difficult to appeal if you don't know the ticket was issued!) and declining to cancel. Again I am now being asked for £165 or magistrates court.

Ticket 3 - issued as a 'breach of terms and conditions' for failing to display a ticket. I paid and displayed this ticket, so can only assume this was an error. I should have appealed in the meantime but left it too late, though did write to Meteor enclosing my proof of purchase for the weekly ticket. Declined, now I am being asked for £165 or magistrates court.

I did also ask Meteor to clarify how they thought this was operating under S14 of Railway Byelaws as iro of Ticket 1 & 3 I only had a notice of 'breach of terms and conditions'. I asked when they thought they had issued something complying with S14. They chose not to answer this question.

My letter threatening me with magistrates court suggests that they have not had any communication from me, so I can only assume the fact of my appeal letter has not filtered through to the heavies who write the letters.

I'm happy to provide any further information if required. What are people's thoughts on this? I had understood that cases of magistrates courts are rare but if so I appear to be one of the rare cases!

Thanks,

Comments

• Livingthedream
    Livingthedream Posts: 2,643
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I posted this on another thread a day or 2 ago;

Quote "Genuine byelaw tickets are quite rare, as it's easy and more profitable for the Train company to get a private parking company to issue a ticket then chase you up for payment.

If it's not a genuine byelaw ticket and it's a PPC ticket then follow the advice of the regulars on this part of the forum, ie ignore.

Is it possible for you to upload a scan of your ticket and letters, but blank out any personnel details.

My advice send this member 'Stigy' a PM he's very good with railway bylaws and should be able to help, if he hasn't answer this thread by then."

Follow the instructions in this thread on how to upload pictures, if your unsure on how to do that.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • SodG24
    SodG24 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Would it be Brighton Station car park by chance ? If so ignore.
    All aboard the Gus Bus !
  • jlsmith_2
    jlsmith_2 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Hildenborough

I will upload some photos shortly of correspondance
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Had it been a real ticket you would have had the ticket with the advice, pay up or its maggi court for you. The fact that you have had the threatograms tells me its one to ignore. The price does not go up with w real one until the magistrate convicts you.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Stigy
    Stigy Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Sounds like Meteor are trying their luck and using the Mags Court as a threat. For a breach of T&C it would go to County Court anyway.
  • jlsmith_2
    jlsmith_2 Posts: 44 Forumite
    As a new user I am not allowed to post links. Not very helpful!

s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/jlsmith10/Meteor/

Let's see if the above works
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    These look like and smell like private tickets to me.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • I disagree.
    It smells like the rail companies are putting pressure on contractors for results.

I would suggest that both the current rail parking threads should go to pepipoo, because they are clamping down on rail staff at the moment as well in my area (which I know about as I work across multiple railway locations)
    Signaller, author, father, carer.
  • Livingthedream
    Livingthedream Posts: 2,643
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I disagree.
    It smells like the rail companies are putting pressure on contractors for results.

The only thing I'd like to add, is that the railways have the full weight of the bylaws behind them, they don't need to bother sending multiple threatening letters, they normally send one, you ignore it, the next is a court summons.

Could be that the Train Company (East Coast) has authorised the PPC to print 'Bylaw 14 Offence' on it's tickets/letters to give a more intimidating effect.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport