Is Mazda 6 any good?

Thomas99
Thomas99 Posts: 322 Forumite
Thinking of buying one 2007 (2.0L), had a Toyota Avensis (1.8) before...whats the noise like at 70mph and servicing costs compared to Toyota?
Founder member MSE Jet Airways Mile High Club
Member #1
:love:

Comments

• Thomas99
    Got no money now, stolen by icesave :mad:
    Member #1
  • AdrianHi
    AdrianHi Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    In probably 2 to 3 months time when you've got your icesave money back through the UK FCSC (I assume you've seen the news, you must be releived!)...
    The Mazda 6.
    Cannot compare prices with the Toyota, but the Mazda 6 is a great car to drive, pretty much best in class. Assuming you are talking about petrol, at 70mph there is a nice sporty rasp often present at other times, not too intrusive, but sometimes mistaken by car journalists as being unrefined on the motorway. Take one for a test drive down a winding A road and then onto the motorway at 70mph and judge it for yourself. The 2007 model is improved for refinement over the 2003 '53 plate 2.0 petrol my wife has had from new (we liked it enough to actually buy a brand new one ;) ).
    Servicing costs are best descrived as average for a Ford Mondeo / Vauxhall Vectra class car. Not exact figures in my head, but minor services / oil changes around the £120 mark with major services around the £300 mark. No nasty bills for cam belts at 50K+ miles or anything. Be warned that the circa 72K mile / 6-7 year service (forget exact timing) on a diesel is an incredible £750-£800 :eek:
  • ozvaldinho
    ozvaldinho Posts: 446 Forumite
    Hope you do get your money back!

As to Mazda 6...beware! The diesels have a reputation for frail clutches. Often, they need a new dual-mass flywheel at the same time. The cost at a main dealer for this can be £1600-£1800.
    Also, check for full Mazda service history, as there have been lots of recalls, for bubbling alloy wheels, rusting wheel arches and cracked intercoolers, oil pipes etc.
    The clutch on my 55 2.0 diesel went at 67k miles. I'm very gentle on my cars and have had cars do 300k+ miles on the original clutches before. This one went with no warning on the motorway with the cruise control on. Typically, it was just a couple of months out of warranty and Mazda didn't want to know.

That apart, it's a great car and like AdrianHi says, they're great on twisty A roads.
  • AdrianHi
    AdrianHi Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    The early pre-facelift diesel Mazda 6's did have reliability problems (later ones much better), were not that economical and a lot more expensive to buy new. In the used market the used car buyer is paying too much for the diesels, they are not worth it and even worse value than when new, too many buyers just assume diesel means lower cost of ownership. Those older ones are likely getting near that big servicing bill too.

We have had, power steering fluid pipes replaced under recall / warranty, boot struts replaced and an electric motor for the drivers window or central locking forget which. No other problems with wheels or rust etc.

The 6 is so good to drive it's nearly on par with a BMW 3 series and of course better value for money.
  • Thomas99
    Thanks for the replies. I have asked my father to help with some money, as i deperately need a car for work...long story, someone did a write-off on my old car. Icesave money is going to take months to come through (told on savings board).

I was worried about servicing costs for Mazda, never owned one before..only Ford & Toyota. Off to Motorpoint in the morning, they have two petrol 6's.
    Member #1
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ozvaldinho wrote: »
    Hope you do get your money back!

As to Mazda 6...beware! The diesels have a reputation for frail clutches. Often, they need a new dual-mass flywheel at the same time. The cost at a main dealer for this can be £1600-£1800.
    Also, check for full Mazda service history, as there have been lots of recalls, for bubbling alloy wheels, rusting wheel arches and cracked intercoolers, oil pipes etc.
    The clutch on my 55 2.0 diesel went at 67k miles. I'm very gentle on my cars and have had cars do 300k+ miles on the original clutches before. This one went with no warning on the motorway with the cruise control on. Typically, it was just a couple of months out of warranty and Mazda didn't want to know.

That apart, it's a great car and like AdrianHi says, they're great on twisty A roads.

Thought the Avensis had dual mass flywheel too......
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • jeannieblue
    Forumite
    Thomas99 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I have asked my father to help with some money, as i deperately need a car for work...long story, someone did a write-off on my old car. Icesave money is going to take months to come through (told on savings board).

I was worried about servicing costs for Mazda, never owned one before..only Ford & Toyota. Off to Motorpoint in the morning, they have two petrol 6's.
    If you've got a good garage, then the costs of any of the above shouldn't vary that much. Jap can be a tad dearer than Ford, but if your garage doesn't mind phoning around for the best prices for parts etc., then you probably wouldn't notice any difference.

Good luck!
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • Thomas99
    Thought the Avensis had dual mass flywheel too......

My old Toyota used to make a funny spinning noice when moving off in first gear, garage said it would be expensive to fix, just lived with it in the end (lack of funds)
    Member #1
  • jeannieblue
    Forumite
    Thomas99 wrote: »
    My old Toyota used to make a funny spinning noice when moving off in first gear, garage said it would be expensive to fix, just lived with it in the end (lack of funds)
    The Mazda 6 is a nice looking car.... thats a 'girlie' point of view too!

We've had quite a few cabs in lately and had to change the clutch assy and flywheels too - all Avensis' - but can't comment on the Mazda's as we don't do as many, and can't recall a clutch jobbie either, as yet..
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • Thomas99
    The Mazda 6 is a nice looking car.... thats a 'girlie' point of view too!

I thought the back lights looked a little "big", looks like they are making them smaller on the *new* model...looking on the internet...don't know now if i want to buy an "old looking" model now :eek:
    Member #1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills