Please help! Peugeot 307 HDi 'Anti Pollution Fault'

Well I've done some research on the net and I'm really worried.

I'm currently using the missus' car as my other French car is being repaired. She drives a 2004 2.0 Peugeot 307 HDi (90hp version)

The car is used 95% on the motorway and always filled up to the brim and run down until the light comes on. Also due a service in the next 2000 miles.

On the way to work today, the engine went lumpy and the car juddered. I pulled over and the engine management light came on, also an error then appeared as 'Anti Pollution Fault'.

So called out RAC who wired it up to the laptop 'no error found'. Great. He drove it to the nearest garage with a good computer, which also returned 'no fault found'.

Now having looked on the net, this is due to the filter which injects some solvent in with the exhaust fumes to clean the air. This needs changing at 50k supposedly, and this car has just hit 60k.

So a new filter from peugeot is around £600 (+vat and labour). plus 5 litres of the fluid (£30 a litre) and supposedly only peugeot can help.

We're up to our head with it now, both cars being garaged, this one for what seems like the MOST ridiculous of reason. The reason the car's running lumpy is because it is in LIMP mode, so there's not actually any damage.

Trying to think of the best way out of this which won't cause us to be paying of credit cards for the next 10 years.

Comments

• Right, bear with me on this one. I'll come back and post later. Sigh...
  • Firstly are you sure it's the 90?

anyway, the filter which is blocked is the FAP filter. They reduce the amount of crap that comes out of the exhaust. The fluid you have been told about is an additive which gets injected into the fuel everytime you fill up. Eloy or something. Though that sounds like one of the Dingles...
    anyway, you need to find someone who is prepared to remove you cat/fap filter and steam clean it for the best part of 20 minutes to remove all the rubbish.

You then buy a few litres of the fluid - its either green or red. This gets put in underneath the near side rear wheel.

Have the light rerset and hay presto.

Look up Yorkshire_Lady on here...
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,468
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You need the filter and elosys system servicing - it's not cheap, but cut corners and it will work out more expensive. Worst system ever invented for reducing diesel soot emissions. A typical French solution to a problem - make it really complicated!

Check out any Pug ownership forums for detailed explanation and remedies.
  • Lots of makers are using similar systems now to reduce the amount of crap coming out of the exhaust. but the Pug system is dire...
  • Hi. I've also had problems recently with my Peugeot 307 1.4 LX 5dr 2001. The engine warning light and the message "Antipollution fault" has been beeping at me when driving and I get a sudden loss of power in the car. It occurs intermittently but seems to be more common and more severe the longer the car journey. I have recently had the car serviced and an MOT but these problems seem to have started after I had those done. I have taken it to a garage, where the mechanic hooked the car up to the diagnostic computer and said he couldn't find a fault. Someone mentioned it might be due to a blocked fuel injector so I added some cleaning fluid into the fuel tank upon recommendation - but this doesn't seemed to have helped. It gets to the point when I stop at traffic lights the car revs itself and sometimes cuts out completely and I have to re-start the engine. Also I've noticed the temperature gauge in the dash seems to be slightly higher than normal and flickering very slightly when these problems arise - not sure if it is related. As I am a student and can't afford the prices being mentioned I'm not sure what to do. I have been on two long trips lately (one from London to Holland and back, and one from London to Somerset and back) and I've been getting these problems more frequently on the return journeys. With all this said the car still managed to get me to and from these places so I'm thinking the problem can't be too serious.

What I'm concerned about is that on all the forums and websites I've researched this problem on, they all seem to give different reasons for the fault. I don't want to pay lots of money for a garage to say they've "fixed" the problem only for it to be something else! This is my 1st car and don't want to be ripped off. Are there any Peugeot specific garages you would recommend taking the car to to be checked? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
  • hartski
    hartski Posts: 6 Forumite
    We have a '51 plate 307 LX....

Drove down to Milton Keynes from Hull on Friday with no problems.
    We filled up at Asda just as we left Hull. Everything was fine with the journey. A few hours after we arrived, I switched on the battery to listen to some music as we were on a campsite, and the Anti Pollution Fault came up.

However, we don't have any symptons of rev limiting, or juddering... the car is driving perfectly, and we drove back to Hull again with no problems.

Looking around some forums - others are suggesting that petrol could have caused the problem and some high quality petrol may sort it, or that the sensors are just too sensitive....

Without the revs being limited or any other problems we can see, does this appear to be an actual fault, or an ECC fault?
  • i to have a simular issue but my car wont start any ideas of what the problem is and the cost or repair i got e mobile mechanic today and he put it on the diagnostic machine and it came up with unknown error code 0087????any ideas much appreciated
    thanks
    chris luck
    JDMYOFAN wrote: »
    Well I've done some research on the net and I'm really worried.

I'm currently using the missus' car as my other French car is being repaired. She drives a 2004 2.0 Peugeot 307 HDi (90hp version)

The car is used 95% on the motorway and always filled up to the brim and run down until the light comes on. Also due a service in the next 2000 miles.

On the way to work today, the engine went lumpy and the car juddered. I pulled over and the engine management light came on, also an error then appeared as 'Anti Pollution Fault'.

So called out RAC who wired it up to the laptop 'no error found'. Great. He drove it to the nearest garage with a good computer, which also returned 'no fault found'.

Now having looked on the net, this is due to the filter which injects some solvent in with the exhaust fumes to clean the air. This needs changing at 50k supposedly, and this car has just hit 60k.

So a new filter from peugeot is around £600 (+vat and labour). plus 5 litres of the fluid (£30 a litre) and supposedly only peugeot can help.

We're up to our head with it now, both cars being garaged, this one for what seems like the MOST ridiculous of reason. The reason the car's running lumpy is because it is in LIMP mode, so there's not actually any damage.

Trying to think of the best way out of this which won't cause us to be paying of credit cards for the next 10 years.
  • j69ant
    j69ant Posts: 49 Forumite
    Possible Lambda ( Oxygen ) sensor.

There are two fitted to these ( by the manifold and by the cat ).

Ive seen two cars with the same error, ( one was intermittent, the other sluggish ) and neither showed up a proper error on the diagnostic machine. Just Anti Pollution Fault. My local scrappy only charged £10 for a sensor, and its eliminated the issue on both occasions. It was the manifold one on both occassions btw.

Regards

Ant
  • Since when did the 2.0 90HDI have FAP?... Not come across a 2.0 90 with FAP.
  • rca779
    rca779 Posts: 436
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have a02 plate 307 2.0 petrol and get this warning fairly often. I have found that if I use Shell petrol, I don't get this error, however if I use the supermarket crap of even Esso fuel, I get this error. What i nornally do if I get this is fill-up with the Shell optimax (or whatever their "better" fuel is called). I find that after one or two fill-ups this error cures itself.

Note: I have never had the car go into limp mode.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure