Disability Premium -who qualifies?

Comments

• Hi
    I have read your question.
    I get what your husband gets, but also get the disability premium.
    Have you applied for Income Support as what you are talking about comes under this heading, i get it as i am on my own so not sure if you can if they take into acccount anything you have coming in as his spouse.
    As with all benefits they wont tell if you dont ask so i would apply for the income support as there is no harm in trying.
    If you are entitled to income support then there is the posibility for interest payments on your morgage after 39 weeks but i cant say you would definately get this as each case is different.
    I hope this helps
    Sarah
  • aimee0763
    aimee0763 Posts: 176 Forumite
    i get the premium and i get it with my IS so i pressume if you get IS thats when you can get the premium?

however i wasnt getting this at 1st.... it was only when i had a benefit check that they realised they wasnt giving it me and they should have been for the past 3 years! they then owed me a massive total of 4000.00 :)

Hi Sarah,

I've just noticed your thread, I am on Income Support and at the moment trying to claim for dla, well i have a dla appeal at the beginnning of march due to my health conditions which i have a few. I was wondering if i could claim for the Disability Premuim whilst waiting for my appeal, my doctor is very helpful and she is willing to help me with any certificate i need. Could you please tell me a bit more about the disability premuim how i can claim for it.

Your reply would be much appreciated.

many thanks in advance

aimee
  • The disabliity premium is for those who get rejected for IB and awarded IS instead.
  • aimee no you cant.
    you have to provide your dla award certificate before you can get awarded the disability premium, but it gets backdated to when dla is awarded from anyway.
  • bjorky
    bjorky Posts: 52 Forumite
    You can only qualify for it if on MIDDLE rate DLA, its dosent matter if you have any disabilty on your incapacity benefit, i called up cause i was told i would get it but after 30 mins on the phone and telling the lady i was on lower rate, i got a letter telling me to sign it and sent it back but i was told by mistake on the phone saying i wouldnt get it, i hope you are successful in the outcome.
  • This is a bit baffling to me. I was sent a form to apply for severe disability premium I think it was called.. anyway, I forgot all about and only sent it when they sent me a reminder but now 5 weeks later I've heard nothing either way.. is that normal do you think or should I chase them?
    ☆ §ügÅr cØÅTëÐ pØï§Øn ☆
    Murphys no more pies club Member #41 :dance:
    12 stone down! :j
    Tiff Appreciation Society Member #2

• There are two premiums, both paid to people on Income Support:

1. Disability Premium, payable to any Income Support customer who receives DLA, or who has been sick for over 1 year.

2. Severe Disability Premium (SDP) (currently equivalent to £2600 per year), payable only to Income Support customers who are on DLA at the Middle or Higher Rate Care Component . There are other criteria you need to meet, including living alone, or treated as living alone, or living with others on DLA Middle or Higher Rate Care Component. Another criteria is that you must not have a carer receiving Carer's Allowance for caring for you.

To ensure you are recieving what you are entitled to:

1. Claim Income Support.
    2. Make sure Income Support are aware you are on DLA, and the rates you are on. For the SDP, ask for an IS10 form.
  • Thanks salfordian, based on those criteria I DO qualify, just wonderng if it's normal to take such a long time to process :)
    ☆ §ügÅr cØÅTëÐ pØï§Øn ☆
    Murphys no more pies club Member #41 :dance:
    12 stone down! :j
    Tiff Appreciation Society Member #2

• Andy054
    Andy054 Posts: 10 Forumite
    If am on incapacity benefit long term rate, can I claim disability premium on top of my incapacity benefit?

I do not currently claim income support, I presume I will have to ring up and make a claim for income support to receive disability premium.

I also have been on incapacity benefit long term rate for over a year, so if I do qualify for disability premium will it be back dated?
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    I'm on esa and dla middle care, and get sdp
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income