can you take food in your hand luggage?

Comments

• jonnyjackov
    jonnyjackov Posts: 330 Forumite
    Hi, you will have no problem taking foods in your handluggage, providing it is not liquid. I travel once a month to Spain and take my food for my friends. Even when my handluggage has been searched, the nice security people have never mentioned my food. I also take coffee granules etc, as many english brands are VERY expensive in the supermarkets in Spain.

Hope this helps.
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    it's fine to take coffee granules into Spain.
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,163
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Don't shop in the resort supermarkets that sell Heinz beans, Nescafe coffee, Cadburys biscuits etc.

Find the local supermarket and buy Spanish brands. We found it was cheaper than back home, and the fresh produce was of higher quality.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • ricflairandy
    ricflairandy Posts: 484 Forumite
    anyone know where i would find these local supermarkets in salou?
    Waddle you do eh?
  • 123oleary
    123oleary Posts: 260 Forumite
    try google and then check the locations on a map. also if you have a guide book they usually say where a couple of food markets are.
  • pcg2001
    pcg2001 Posts: 1,406
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    another thing, off topic i suppose, but can you take a razor in your hand luggage, like a gillette one?

No, you can't. You can't even take nail clippers.

edit: after seeing knighstyle post I checked the ryanair website and he is actually right. I am appalled. I cannot take a yogurt but someone can take a razor!! Can't you remove the cartridge at any time you want? Does it even make a difference?

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=bag&quest=prohibiteditems

.... meat cleavers, machetes, open razors and blades (excluding safety or disposable razors with blades enclosed in cartridge), sabres, swords and swordsticks ....
  • pcg2001
    Forumite
    anyone know where i would find these local supermarkets in salou?

Hi, the last time I was in Salou I did not find that the supermarkets were a rip-off. the UK has much higher prices than Spain.

If you are renting a car you might want to have a look at a big supermarket like Alcampo or Carrefour. I searched the former and they only exist in Barcelona, but there is a Carrefour in Reus: http://www.carrefour.es/hipermercados/guia_hipermercados/reus.html

Try www.alcampo.es for other locations.

This should be relatively cheap and you will be able to stock on anything you want. They might not have heinz beans though... no one else seems to enjoy beans for breakfast in Europe, that I know off!! :rotfl:

Also, even if you don't rent a car, you might want to pop into Reus one day for a visit (modernism etc) and you can stock up there, since there are no resort supermarkets, just regular city centre ones and lots of stores.

edit: There are several SPARS in Salou. I just checked on the net. This is the same brand as in the UK.

edit2: I seem to remenber there are weekly markets in these beach towns, so just with the local tourism office or even the hotel and they should be able to guide you.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,985
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes you can take a safety razor as handluggage on Ryanair and on Flybe, I have done it many times. Also take something for you all to eat (not drink) on the plane. Last time I went to UK I took lots of wallnuts in my handluggage and came back with Horlicks. No problems.
  • pcg2001
    Forumite
    If you look at this leaflet: http://www.salou.altanet.org/cgi-bin/generico.pl?pF=infouk.html&pC=0

It says there is a market at Via Roma (so this must be a permanent market), and a weekly market on Mondays morning at Paseo de la Segregaci!.

MERCADOS
    - MERCADO MUNICIPAL Via Roma, 10 977 380 289
    - MERCADO SEMANAL SALOU Paseo de la Segregaci! lunes mañana

Weekly markets in the area: MERCADOS SEMANALES EN LA ZONA
    Monday LUNES Salou, Reus
    Tuesday- MARTES Tarragona, Calafell, Torredembarra
    Wednesday- MIÉRCOLES Cambrils, Valls
    thurs- JUEVES Tarragona, Vila-seca
    friday - VIERNES La Pineda (Setmana Santa hasta octubre), Montblanc, El Vendrell
    saturday- SÁBADO Reus, Valls
    sunday- DOMINGO Bonavista, Hospitalet de l’Inf
    ant

PS: the leaflet aslo has useful information for the tourist in salou.
  • anyone know where i would find these local supermarkets in salou?

I've always found Carrefor good value, and Mercadonna close behind.

If you are ok with supermarket brand cereals (ASDA, Tesco etc) you should be fine with local Spanish makes or Carrefor's own brand. Being French (I think) they don't get away with selling rubbish food - the French and German shoppers won't put up with half the cheap rubbish that British supermarkets sell.

If you need to have brand names familiar in the UK (kids that won't eat anything but Cocopops etc) you're probably best taking them with you. Personaly, I find the slight increase in cost abroad usually outweighs the hastle of carrying them with me,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure