cash for clothes companies

Comments

• kiwikaz
    kiwikaz Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My OH spotted a sign recently wanting unwanted clothes for cash and offering 50p a kg.
    Since then a shop has opened in our town offering the same altho they don't collect.
    As an earlier poster asked - Do the home collectors check the contents of your bags ? Or has anyone had any experience of them doing so ? ( and then not paying out ? )
    I have what seems to be an absolute mountain of clothes that I need to get rid of as we're desperate for cash to reduce our debts. I do Ebay and have sold a few bits of clothing for the minimum of 99p and, also do the occasional car boot depending on the weather. I would say that what's left isn't worth Ebaying or car booting and, I'd feel awful off loading this onto a charity shop for them to sort thro and then sell on for rags for peanuts.
    Recycling in all forms seems to be quite lucrative if you know what to do.I would imagine that clothes that aren't in good condition are still sold on by these companies for a tidy sum if only for rags or stuffing mattresses etc.
    Maybe I should just dump the stuff in a recycling bin at the local tip.

Any thoughts ? :o
    July £10 a day challenge £ 20.05 / £ 155
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    i wouldnt use clothes for cash they advertise on the net. They send a courier to collect the bag of clothes but they wont necessarily pay you they will fob you off with some excuse.

They also then email to say we are going to pay you and please like our facebook page they try to fool you into liking their page. I expect they sell the clothes at a car boot be wary.
    :footie:
  • MikeR71
    MikeR71 Posts: 3,852 Forumite
    We had a similar thread about a month ago where we discussed this. Some sites want you to send your clothes and you do so thinking your clothes are worth something. They then get back to you saying they can't offer you anything, or very little. You then ask for your clothes back and are told to pay £20 for shipping!

So I'd suggest that unless they are prepared to send someone to have a look, weight/assess your clothes and pay you there and then, don't don't bother sending anything. It can be more hassel than it's worth.
  • kiwikaz
    kiwikaz Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for your replies.

Doesn't seem worth the trouble.I certainly wouldn't want them to take the stuff away and then say it's worth nothing and then want to charge me to get it back.

I'm pleased others have had good experiences tho.

Cheers Karen.
    July £10 a day challenge £ 20.05 / £ 155
  • My sister introduced me to this kind of thing out in California - seemed like a great idea for teenagers who grow out of clothing and need the extra pocket money. Didn't know the concept had made its way over to the UK though.

Are they just online or do they have physical stores?
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    if the clothing companies are dodgy which i have personal experience of then why cant anything be done? cant anyone close them down?

How can it be right they get away with stealing clothes?
    :footie:
  • mealone
    mealone Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Post
    I have just moved house and had loads to chuck out - Bedding, curtains clothes etc . Took it to Cash4Clothes and got £31.
    They also take shoes, belts and handbags at 40p per Kilo.
    Books are 5p per Kilo.
    I will be going back with more stuff!

Did you sell any books?

I am having a purge of my books and while the newer ones are worth ebaying the older ones are not worth much so 40p per kilo is a decent price to get rid of them.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mealone wrote: »
    Did you sell any books?

I am having a purge of my books and while the newer ones are worth ebaying the older ones are not worth much so 40p per kilo is a decent price to get rid of them.

These companies pay 5p a kilo for books, not 40p, otherwise I'd be doing the same as you.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • There is one based in Bedford., or you can google it Fortune International Ltd., their phone no. is 01234 347272 they also pay cash for your unwated clothing, shoes, books, bric or brac

i was paid 85 pounds and was shocked to receive such a huge money for unwanted items!
  • shiprob195
    shiprob195 Posts: 746 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I spent 10 minutes sorting through my DS wardrobe on Wednesday. filled 2 bin bags (clothes)and 2 small carrier bags (shoes)...took them to my local clothes recycling centre.....Parker Dr, Leicester.

He weighed them at 10.5kg and I was given £5.25 (50p per KG)

I am going to venture into the loft this week....I may even get enough to buy some christmas pressies.

I was told they take sheets, towels, shoes, handbags as well as clothes.
    They also pay 10p per kg for books and toys.

Not bad for 10 minutes work.....and a slight detour to mr T's:p
    Slimming world new starter 2/1/17
    :D:D:DWeight loss so far 5 stone 8 lbs

:rotfl:Loss needed to get to target NONE!!! TARGET MEMBER :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business