PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Loaf Tin sizing help

Comments

• needaspirin
    needaspirin Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    I have the same problem. I find my sliced bread has the profile of a mushroom as the tins aren't tall enough and the dough sags over the sides. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. :confused:
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have the same problem. I find my sliced bread has the profile of a mushroom as the tins aren't tall enough and the dough sags over the sides. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. :confused:
    This was the problem I had. I was making a triple batch and putting it in 3 tins. The loaves did mushroom rather. So I put the same amount of dough in 4 tins. Now my loaves are quite short, but they are easy to slice and make a decent sized sandwich. It also lasts longer because, of course, we still eat the same amount of slices-they're just a bit smaller ;)
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi there
    Just been and measured.. yes im THAT sad :p

My tin is :- 8.5x4.5" and 2.5" deep

My loaf is 6" tall and the bit above the tin is 6" at its widest point ..although that is because i was busy rattling on the phone and let it prove a bit too much :o .. mind you i would rather have bread that looks "rustic" and tastes gorgeous..than it look perfect and taste yuk...

Needasparin... if it is "mushrooming" as mine does sometimes - it could be that your dough is a little too soft, or you have a little too much yeast in it.. it makes it so the dough can't support its self....

hope it helps
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Addiscomber
    Addiscomber Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have a couple of these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Class-Non-Stick-Large-Loaf/dp/B000GM4MRO/ref=sr_1_33/202-9540943-8007043?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1194117323&sr=8-33

although they are non stick, I always oil them anyway. The bread needs to be sliced when cooled and then frozen, otherwise it goes stale given the size of loaf. Quantity wise a whole bag of flour will make 2 loaves of this size. There are a couple more 3lb tins on Amazon, but much more expensive.
  • rev229
    rev229 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    John lewis sell large loaf tins but are about 12.00 they are part of their anolon professional range. Too big for cakes but would be perfect for bread.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    I have a couple of these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Class-Non-Stick-Large-Loaf/dp/B000GM4MRO/ref=sr_1_33/202-9540943-8007043?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1194117323&sr=8-33

although they are non stick, I always oil them anyway. The bread needs to be sliced when cooled and then frozen, otherwise it goes stale given the size of loaf. Quantity wise a whole bag of flour will make 2 loaves of this size. There are a couple more 3lb tins on Amazon, but much more expensive.

Nooooooooooooooooo :rotfl: I just spotted a really cool french stick tin now *sits on hands to stop buying it* :o
  • MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Hi there

I generally use a 2lb tin, i do have a bigger one but it makes huge slices..
    if you leave your bread to rise to about 1-2" above the top or the tin and then slash it length ways (it stops it going wonky, and leaning when it bakes).... you should get "proper sized slices"... how much dough are you putting in your tin? could it be that there isn't enough to make a big loaf? I use 500g flour in a 2lb tin... hope it helps.. let me know if you want the recipe..i make it by hand and its a doddle

I would like your recipe please for making bread by hand if you wouldn't mind posting it,thank you
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/kitchenideas/bread!5624_5625

I use these, they are quite tall and make a traditional size loaf. Would like your bread recipe too please Mrs Mccawber.
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi there

I have a bread machine - but only ever used it on the dough cycle as i like my bread done in the oven... but i have now gone to doing it by hand as it seems so much quicker - this recipe has never failed me..hope you get good results:D

500g bread flour
    2tsp salt

350ml luke warm water
    20g fresh yeast
    1tsp sugar
    1. mix the salt n flour in a large bowl
    2. make a well in the centre
    3. mix the yeast, sugar and water together and when dissolved -pour into the well.
    4. sprinkle the flour from around the sides over the liquid
    5. cover with a tea towel and leave until the liquid starts to break through the top
    6. I then stick the bowl in the sink to save mess;) and use 1 hand to start mixing ( make your hand like a spider and swish around, drawing in the flour from the sides-if that makes sense)
    7. depending on your flour - you may need a little bit extra if it feels too wet...
    8. then start to knead it in the bowl
    9. tip out and knead until smooth
    10. place back in bowl and use a carrier bag to make a dome over the top - it works better than a cloth
    11. when doubled in size tip out, knead again and shape and place into an oiled 2lb tin
    12. cover again with the carrier bag.... so it forms a big dome and leave to rise.. about 1.5-2" above the tin
    13. then with a sharp knife - slash length ways - not very deep-just enough to break the top.. but it stops the loaf from raising wonky - you don't have to do this
    14. place in the middle of a pre-heated oven - gas 7 for about 30 mins or until golden
    15. tip him out of the tin and if you "knock" on the bottom with your knuckles he should sound hollow - if not pop back on the shelf for a few more mins - either in or out of the tin
    16. take out and cool - uncovered...unless you want a softer crust..then throw a tea towel over;)
    You can use part milk/part water too if you want a softer crust - all water makes it crustier, and if you like it really crusty, dissolve a bit of salt in some hot water and when the loaf is done-brush over the top crust and place back in oven for a minute....

you can also add 1oz of melted butter to the liquid stage - this helps keep it fresh longer, but i slice and freeze mine as soon as its cold so i don't bother - plus its less cals;) ... you can also use a drizzle of oil for the same reason - but i find it makes the texture a bit more dense..

this dough also worked in my BM on the dough cycle..

hope it helps
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Hi there

I have a bread machine - but only ever used it on the dough cycle as i like my bread done in the oven... but i have now gone to doing it by hand as it seems so much quicker - this recipe has never failed me..hope you get good results:D

hope it helps
    Gotta try this !! Cant wait till my next days off to get going !!
    TVM MrsMcawber:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport