PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help My Dishwasher Is Not Cleaning Properly!!

Hi Again

My dishwasher is driving me mad :mad:

Basically when I get items after they have been washed, they are streaked and marked..especially glasses and coffee/tea mugs. I use a 3 in 1 tablet and added dishwasher salt a few weeks ago.

Is there anyway i can clean the dishwasher and give it a new lease of life??? Do I have to use "special salt", even though the tablets have it added?? :confused:

I depend on the dishwasher alot and is only 2 years old..surely it has a few more years init still :eek:

Thanks
Mads13
xxx

Comments

• MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mine was doing this a few weeks ago. Like you I had refreshed everything and cleaned all the filters but to no avail. Then one day it all righted itself and everything sparkles again. But I don't know what happened:confused: Sorry I can't be more help.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 1,533 Forumite
    I have this problem if I dont use rinse aid and salt as well as the 3 in 1 tablets!!!

Not very moneysaving but they do come up better than without.

Mine is an old machine though, was given it by my sister who was having another new one with a new kitchen.

HTH
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    I've had this before, searched on Google and it seemed that the rotary arms needed cleaning. OH said he'd already tried that (he's the only one who bothers to clean the filters) but I did it myself when he wasn't looking and found a couple of the tiny holes blocked. Took them out, took them apart,poked the holes with a pin and washed the whole lot in hot soapy water. Did the filters, trays, the lot. Problem solved. Felt very housewifey and efficient all day.
  • Al_Mac
    Al_Mac Posts: 5,519 Forumite
    I go through this regularly with ours. If I have one I use the cleaner, but check the filters, the holes on the spinny things. Salt, rinse aid.

I find it is often worse we had mash (grainy), beans or sweet corn (blocks the holes).

:beer:
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My trusty dishwasher is my best friend! As with all the above advice I have to use salt, rince aid, and 3+1 tablets.

When it starts to not wash as well, I clean all the bits and bobs, take spray arms off etc.

Lastly about once a year, I run it with 2 tablets, and nothing in it, on the longest, hotest cycle.

My hubby blames me for over filling it, as to why its not washing properly!!!! I don't listen tho!!!!
    :j
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    LOL @ toozie. If I let Mr TM pack the dishwasher, he either only half fills it, or puts things on top of other things so they don't get washed. I can get twice as much stuff in a dishwasher and still get it to clean properly.

Hints and tips I have picked up:

Always rinse items covered in mash - potato sticks like nothing else.
    Ring your local water board. If you give them your address, they will give you the water hardness in your area. Then you can set your machine accordingly - we moved from Hertfordshire (hard water) to Lancashire (soft) so had to do this. If you have your instruction booklet, it should tell you about the scales they use (there are 3) and how to adjust your machine.

Remember the 'blind spots' in your machine. There are a couple in mine where I can't put certain sorts of glasses as they don't rinse well. Doesn't seem to matter with other items.

Are your tablets/powder disolving well? I'm having a problem at the moment with my Fairy tablets not disolving well on cooler washes. I keep meaning to e-mail them, but haven't got round to it yet, as they are being released from the drawer, but i find half a tablet in the bottom of the machine at the end.

If all else fails, do a HOT wash with nothing but vinegar in the machine. Should clear it out. Oh, and check the pipe where it joins inder the sink. I find mine blocks up with debris after a while (cos Mr TM doesn't scrape the plates well) and it stops the rinse and then the emptying and leaves the plates dirty. Guess who has to takes the pipes off and clean - well, it aint Mr TM!
  • MATH
    Poor Mr TM is he to blame for all things evil?:eek: Can we lay Global Warming and the changing of Opal Fruits to Starburst at his door as well? I'm sure he's got something to do with the fact you don't see white dog poo anymore and that newcasters use the slovenly me instead of the more elevated I.;) :D You're a saint TM you really are. The Nation owes you a debt of gratitude for saving other unsuspecting gentlewomen from failing fowl of his evil charms.
  • Ticklemouse
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Oh, MATH, I see you know the 'poor unsuspecting' Mr TM :)

Well, global warning, yes - he's one of those who overfills the kettle, then boils it 4 times before he makes his cuppa. As for 'me' and 'I', don't get me started. I replied to a thread yesterday where I mentioned the incorrect use of 'fewer than' and 'less than'. Also, he's an English teacher:D (Well, he's an Irishman, teaching English to pupils taking the Welsh board :confused: )

And yes, I'm a saint - If I hadn't married him, well, someone would have had to, wouldn't they :D:D
  • MATH
    OH TM I knew you would bite;) You always make me laugh when you're online or is that the third glass of Chatau de Cheapo I'Ve just drank ( well what didn't drip into the keyboard):eek:

Don't ever let Mr TM read my posts. My spellin 'n' grammer are shot cos my fingers move faster than my brain. He'd probably post back in red "SEE ME"

Before anyone complains about going off topic - laughs are Ol'Style they kept peeps spirits up in the war and they're FREE so their MSE as well:p
  • Ticklemouse
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Oh MATH, you make me laugh too. Actually, it's Tesco cream sherry, glass No 2 (cheapo version of Harveys Bristol Cream). God, I sound SO OLD don't I. However, in true MSE style, delivers the sugar I require as well as alcohol (I don't need a lot) in a couple of glasses:D

Actually, Mr TM doesn't read this site (yet). And I agree with you, - this board delivers so much more - money saving, recipes, loads of laughs etc etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure