Quote for new fence

Hello

Any views on this quote to remove and replace our garden fence in SW London please?

The job is to remove our very rickety old fence and posts, no significant clearance of plants or roots involved. Supply and install 12 metres of pine, pressure treated closeboard fence. 1.8 metre high including gravel board. The fence will be assembled on site, not panels, due to restricted access to the property. We've asked for a top rail to finish off the fence.

The quotes we have so far are:

Quote 1: £780 excl VAT, so £936 in total
Quote 2: £700 incl VAT but excluding waste disposal (we would have to take the old wood to the tip).

We are pressed for time so although I would normally get several more quotes in, I'd appreciate views on which quote is more normal - obviously there's a bit of difference between them.

Thanks!
Lubielu

Comments

• ewcs
    ewcs Posts: 112 Forumite
    Lubielu wrote: »
    Hello

Any views on this quote to remove and replace our garden fence in SW London please?

The job is to remove our very rickety old fence and posts, no significant clearance of plants or roots involved. Supply and install 12 metres of pine, pressure treated closeboard fence. 1.8 metre high including gravel board. The fence will be assembled on site, not panels, due to restricted access to the property. We've asked for a top rail to finish off the fence.

The quotes we have so far are:

Quote 1: £780 excl VAT, so £936 in total
    Quote 2: £700 incl VAT but excluding waste disposal (we would have to take the old wood to the tip).

We are pressed for time so although I would normally get several more quotes in, I'd appreciate views on which quote is more normal - obviously there's a bit of difference between them.

Thanks!
    Lubielu

Your only being charged £80 to have the waste tipped, and the contractors have to pay a tipping charge, or you dispose of it & save £80, your choice.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thats not true is it? The difference in the 2 prices is £236. so thst the cost of tipping, not £80.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Lubielu
    Lubielu Posts: 17 Forumite
    Hi

The second contractor has now broken his quote down as follows:

Materials £490
    Labour £200

TOTAL: £690

This means it's about £40 per metre. On the labour quote, he says it's 1.5 days work for him.

I think that this quote doesn't sound too bad, but I would appreciate any views from people more experienced than me!

The other quote is £246 more expensive which is from a combination of VAT (their quote was exclusive of VAT whereas this one is inclusive) and waste disposal costs.

Thanks again
    Lublielu
  • Go for the cheaper quote and phone a "man with a van" and he'll take it away for £50-£100.
  • ewcs
    phill99 wrote: »
    Thats not true is it? The difference in the 2 prices is £236. so thst the cost of tipping, not £80.
    £156 of the £236 is vat, so £700 for the work £80 for the tipping =£780 plus vat £936, so the cost of the tipping is not £236 as you stated.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    ewcs wrote: »
    £156 of the £236 is vat, so £700 for the work £80 for the tipping =£780 plus vat £936, so the cost of the tipping is not £236 as you stated.

The only tangible difference in the service you will receive is having the rubbish removed.

Therefrore that service is actually costing you £236. although I accept most is the VAT. But why pay VAT if you don't have to.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • ewcs
    Lubielu wrote: »
    Hi

The second contractor has now broken his quote down as follows:

Materials £490
    Labour £200

TOTAL: £690

This means it's about £40 per metre. On the labour quote, he says it's 1.5 days work for him.

I think that this quote doesn't sound too bad, but I would appreciate any views from people more experienced than me!

The other quote is £246 more expensive which is from a combination of VAT (their quote was exclusive of VAT whereas this one is inclusive) and waste disposal costs.

Thanks again
    Lublielu

it`s up to you, do you want the bother of taking it to the tip or not? personally i would go for quote 2 as they are going to finish the job and leave all cleaned up
  • Malky
    Malky Posts: 694 Forumite
    You're being quoted over the odds for material with the first contractor. I know contractors like to put a bit of mark up on materials but for a 1.8 x 12m fence should only cost about £250 so maybe charge you £300. A day and a half labour about £300 plus removal of waste £50. All in all £700 is not too bad but should be getting your waste removed in that price too. A rule of thumb is £50 to £55 per metre not including waste removal.
  • Lubielu
    Lubielu Posts: 17 Forumite
    We're going with the second contractor - he's now dropped the price for the materials a bit, and we're going to get my mum to recycle some of the wood on her allotment cutting down on the waste removal. I don't mind taking the rest to the tip if it saves a few bob. We looked at Hippo Bags, if anyone has used those? But we thought it looked a bit complicated, having to ensure the bag is no more than 4m from the kerb, no parked cars in the way, etc. But that would have been a reasonably low cost option if the practicalities had worked.

The new fence is going in on Tuesday - fingers crossed! Thanks for all the advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure