PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Year a house was built???

Comments

• Same here too. Says mine was built in 1920 but actually it was built in 1896.

That'll be the NR32 post code! ;)

I don't know any houses around here that were built in 1920! These are all Victorian terraces.
    In a rut? Can't get out? Don't know why?
    It's time to make that change.
    Cover up all the pain in your life
    With our new product range.
    So please don't feel blue - let us show you how
    To talk yourself into a good mood right now.
    Feeling sad is no longer allowed,
    No matter how worthless you are.
  • Murray wrote:
    I think that it only goes back to 1920 beacuse it came up with that for our house and it was more like 1870. It also said it was detached and its actually a terrace!

Maybe anything pre 1920 is in the same risk category for insurance purposes??

I had that the other day on a different site. It said my house was a 4 bed detached house. No, it's not! It's a 4 bed end terrace!
    In a rut? Can't get out? Don't know why?
    It's time to make that change.
    Cover up all the pain in your life
    With our new product range.
    So please don't feel blue - let us show you how
    To talk yourself into a good mood right now.
    Feeling sad is no longer allowed,
    No matter how worthless you are.
  • Loui1979
    Loui1979 Posts: 138 Forumite
    O well guys sorry sbout that. Trust Me! thought id found a free way for us all.

Sorry again.
  • I know this is an old thread however I just bought the register and plan details for £8 from the Lnd Registry and all it gave me was the purchase I made 12 years ago. My house was built between 1925-40 and has had several owners but it does not even show those conveyances let alone the original build. Useless
  • I think the esure data might come from what previous owners have entered when insuring it - presumably the insurers share that sort of data between them.

I recently bought and the surveyor put "around 60 years old" on the report, presumably from his local knowledge, but I only found out a more specific date (1952) when reading a newspaper article about the sale of the specific houses.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mine's coming up as older than it is - 1945 when it is actually 1954
  • There isn't foolproof any way other than local research. (In my own case quite apart from the date of the first conveyance - 1953 - my next door neighbour but one bought his house new and is still living there and there is a photo in a local history publication he took which shows my house being built.)

With a lot of modern property the Land Registry entries will include reference to a conveyance or transfer by some builder which contained rights and covenants etc. With houses built since say about 1960 the builder would usually sell it straight away so the date of that conveyance or transfer is a pretty good guide to when it was built.

With ex-Council houses the date of that conveyance/transfer won't mean anything because it will only say when it was first sold. The same principle applies to a lot of older property which was originally built for renting - it was often retained by the builder and let out and then his family found in the 1950s and 60s that the rent restriction legislation then applying made it uneconomic to retain the houses so they were sold off perhaps when a tenant died - so the date of the first conveyance (if stated in the Land Registry entries - and it isn't always if it did not impose any new covenants etc).

Before WW2 particularly in areas where larger houses were going to be built it was the often the practice for a landowner to sell plots for building without anything on the plot. The buyer would then build a house to his own specification so often the house would be a year or two younger than the date of that conveyance - but sometimes a builder might hold onto land for a time before building so the date of that first conveyance with covenants and rights would not indicate the date the house was built if only because it would simply convey a the plot of land and not contain the traditional words "together with the messuage or dwellinghouse erected thereon..." Don't ask me what a messuage is!
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • Esure were useless for me... they couldn't even quote me as I live near the sea!

Asda's (AXA) didn't seem to mind!!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    JimmySave wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread however I just bought the register and plan details for £8 from the Lnd Registry and all it gave me was the purchase I made 12 years ago. My house was built between 1925-40 and has had several owners but it does not even show those conveyances let alone the original build. Useless
    No - not useless. You are trying to achieve something from the Land Registry that it is not designed for.

It's like checking the electoral register and then complaining it doesn't tell you if your mum voted last year or not.

The LR is NOT a historical record of property contruction, it is a record of current land ownership, and to a limited extent past ownership.
  • mlz1413
    mlz1413 Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Started 2005 and still going in 2011.............
    is this a record?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport