no of nights visitor can stay without benefits being affected??

Comments

• wilf55
    wilf55 Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    its a grey area i was told it just depends if it is a permenant thing...

this was housing ben and ctb they did not know what criteria came into force as to when permenant was!!!

thats why i asked here

thanks everyone
    Save 12k in 2015 member 187. £62.50/6000
  • singlehouseholder
    singlehouseholder Posts: 1,109 Forumite
    You'd be better off ringing the Income Support section though Wilf55, they should really be aware of the legislation that's in place to inform you of when a "change of circumstances" would need to take place. Sadly it isnt a case of them "camping outside your door" with a camera. All it takes is for 1 person to see you and your friend, put two and two together come up with 5 and get in touch with the DWP. This is how potentially people end up with overpayments- you're better safe than sorry Wilf, they won't accept ignorance as an excuse.If you're worried, you could just ring them up and say you're ringing on behalf of a friend who has a query.
    RIP Floyd - 19/04/09. I know i'll see you again my best friend forever.

19/06/2013 T12 incomplete Paraplegia, down but not out.
  • This is the most stupidest rule of them all.

It's crap that you can't have someone stay at your house for a while without feeling your doing something wrong. It stinks.
  • singlehouseholder
    singlehouseholder Posts: 1,109 Forumite
    Dont really think its a stupid rule? it could be that you're, say a single person who doesn't work and claims benefit, then you have a partner with a fantastic wage, who kindly pays all your bills, buys all your food, takes you on holiday- meets every expense you could incurr. Even though he only stays a few nights a week, he is still considered as fully supporting the household. Dont think that it woyuld be fair for one person to have benefit and all that financial support, and another to have to survive on benefit alone- if you know what I mean?? There has to be some kind of cut off point, don't you think?

• Dont really think its a stupid rule? it could be that you're, say a single person who doesn't work and claims benefit, then you have a partner with a fantastic wage, who kindly pays all your bills, buys all your food, takes you on holiday- meets every expense you could incurr. Even though he only stays a few nights a week, he is still considered as fully supporting the household. Dont think that it woyuld be fair for one person to have benefit and all that financial support, and another to have to survive on benefit alone- if you know what I mean?? There has to be some kind of cut off point, don't you think?

At the end of the day tho', the responsibility still lies with the person whos name is on everything.
    And i suppose it's up to the individual to be sure how stable a relationship is and do the right thing.
  • Anthillmob
    Anthillmob Posts: 11,780 Forumite
    Scarlett1 wrote:
    Apparently its none, sorry cant remember who told me, think it was the housing benefit officer who comes round once a year, not that I have anyone staying over :confused:

indeed.

acording to our fraud office everyone thinks its three but in fact there isnt an amount/number. however if they can proove someone living there is contributing towards householed costs or is a partner and it can be prooved they are living there ermanently then you could owe back money.
    There's someone in my head, but it's not me
  • Anthillmob
    Anthillmob Posts: 11,780 Forumite
    so in other words be honest. as previously mentioned it only takes one person to get the wrong end of the stick and report you.

since dec 05 (i believe) same sex couples are now treated as partners. im not saying or assuming you are but if your friend is the same sex it would only take one person again to maybe get the totally wrong end of the stick here and report you.

i hope you dont think im being out of line.

in the case of benefits, honesty is the best policy to save any heartache/wallet ache further down the line.

usually a written letter will suffice with any proof you deem necessary, they may write for more though.
    There's someone in my head, but it's not me
  • WestieFan
    WestieFan Posts: 391 Forumite
    it could be that you're, say a single person who doesn't work and claims benefit, then you have a partner with a fantastic wage, who kindly pays all your bills, buys all your food, takes you on holiday- meets every expense you could incurr. Even though he only stays a few nights a week, he is still considered as fully supporting the household.

Jeezo, where do you get a partner like that? Anybody know?? :rotfl:
  • WestieFan wrote:
    Jeezo, where do you get a partner like that? Anybody know?? :rotfl:

exactly, you have read my mind
  • you'd be surprised!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure