AVG - no longer free - what now ?

Comments

• PaulK_3
    PaulK_3 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    nah its a pop up about the new AVG 8 release, there is still the free version as usual too.
    http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition
  • Use Avast 4.8 - http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html or Anti-Vir - http://www.free-av.com/ as alternatives.

Much better than AVG in my opinion.
    Computer geek/junkie in waiting...:rolleyes:
  • Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    fwor wrote: »
    You can still get AVG free here:

http://free.grisoft.com/

They seem to do the same thing with every new release: pop up a reminder that you need to upgrade, but point to the paid version.

Not that I blame them - if nobody paid for it, how would they pay their development staff?

I have followed this link and it still directs me to the version 8, same with the link in the next post, download.com. I already have AVG free download as it happens but the icon at the bottom of my screen reads "the internal virus data base is out of date" and I can't work out why it is out of date and what I can do about it.
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    clutton wrote: »
    ""Where did you read this "announcement""

on a pop up on my machine

many thanks for the suggestions everyone

its advertising for the full version of avg
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Jake'sGran wrote: »
    I have followed this link and it still directs me to the version 8, same with the link in the next post, download.com.

That's what it's meant to, version 8 is the latest version of AVG for both free and subscription versions.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Q. How do you confuse an idiot.
    A. Send them an AVG update pop-up.

Works every time!
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • dc
    dc Posts: 2,547 Forumite
    AVG free 7.5 has been updated to version 8 (also available free). Support for 7.5 ends at the end of May, so you should really update.

As has been said the link to upgrade is worded to tempt you to purchase the full version. Just go for the free sawn-off version download, as you did before. ( there always have been more comprehensive versions of the "free" which you have to pay for)
    ac's lovechild
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    espresso wrote: »
    Q. How do you confuse an idiot.
    A. Send them an AVG update pop-up.

Works every time!

It does happen every time they upgrade AVG, we suddenly get loads of threads of people "warning" everyone that AVG are no longer releasing the free app. I remember it happened exactly the same way from 7.0 to 7.5.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    dc wrote: »
    AVG free 7.5 has been updated to version 8 (also available free). Support for 7.5 ends at the end of May, so you should really update.

Not according to Grisoft it doesn't! They say 31/12/08.

:rolleyes:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    dc wrote: »

As has been said the link to upgrade is worded to tempt you to purchase the full version. Just go for the free sawn-off version download, as you did before. ( there always have been more comprehensive versions of the "free" which you have to pay for)

Thank you. You seem like a reasonable and polite person. Have you any idea why the icon at the bottom of my screen says the virus data base is out of date? And, sorry, forgot to say I did get to the free download in the end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure