Last Share you Bought?

Comments

• JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,001
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 May 2012 at 9:17AM
    Well... I want to buy into Auhua Clean Energy but alas, could not purchase it. Something about periodic auction call. :( Will keep on trying I guess.

So I bought Premier Gold Resources instead... :p I like these kind of companies.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I just bought Auhua Clean Energy, yay!

Cheers

Joe
  • amictus
    amictus Posts: 301 Forumite
    They deleted the Cadogan thread. Ukraine is too controversial to discuss apparently, bad investment you have been warned :p
    As usual its doing nothing much despite the market turning dire

I've given up trying to work out what's going on with CAD... it actually ticked up today! Just holding (at a loss) in the hope that something good will happen sometime.

Gold below $1600... anyone else buying?
  • XEL a few weeks back at 104 hit a stop loss at 94 so waiting for 80-85 re-entry only invested 1.5k but still took a hit on that.
    Any other recommendations would be nice at the moment lol.
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    Last trade was about 2 months ago, £24k split equally between Tesco, Morrison & Sainsbury. currently made about £1k. But I am just as likely to pick losers as winners, so try to diversify. The only funds I hold are investment trusts with a good discount to net asset value. Because then the fund managers are a liability that is already priced into the shares. Buying investment trust shares at launch is a recipe for losing money.

I took just Sainsbury but I sold most of them. I was thinking Tesco recently but only at 300 and its not really moving now

J Sainsbury (SBRY) reported underlying pre-tax profits of 712 million pounds for the year ended 17th March 2012, 7.1% higher than in the previous year, on revenue growth of 6.8% to 24.5 billion pounds. The supermarket chain said that it outperformed the market, increasing its market share to 16.6%, with its own brand Taste the Difference and Basics ranges both showing growth. The group added that it achieved 100 million pounds of operational cost savings, bringing the total over the last five years to 600 million pounds. The shares gained 4p to 305.3p.
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    They deleted the Cadogan thread. Ukraine is too controversial to discuss apparently, bad investment you have been warned :p
    As usual its doing nothing much despite the market turning dire

Last share I got today was Essar.

It will be that plonker that was complaining, some people have got nothing better to do ;)
    Anyway, do you reckon that this news may impact the Cadogan share price, bearing in mind the Eni presence?
    A government source had told Reuters this week Anglo-Dutch Shell and Chevron of the United States were set to outbid Italy's Eni, Exxon Mobil and Russia's TNK-BP in the tender which Kiev sees as a step towards easing its dependence on Russian gas supplies.
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/05/11/uk-shell-chevron-ukraine-idUKBRE84A14320120511
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 May 2012 at 7:18AM
    Why would you think your research on a blue chip is better then a guy spending 40 paid hours to calculate that and he can write off his mistakes.

I buy blue chips (and down into the FTSE 250) for the yield. I buy good companies when the market has one of those real bad hair days. The only equities I've bought since last November have therefore been some private equity ITs, a European IT, and some infrastructure trusts and REITs.

I have some cash sitting on hand for the next time the FTSE 100 hits 5000, which will hopefully be over the summer. I have about six companies on my watch list and will buy in my usual £2k to £4k chunks.
    I own CREE who make great torches if you see one. The problem is we dont walk round with torches, the business is about fixed lighting and its not LED (yet)

I carry one with me at all times and it has a Cree emitter. :)
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • srcandas
    srcandas Posts: 1,241
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 May 2012 at 9:10AM
    Why would you think your research on a blue chip is better then a guy spending 40 paid hours to calculate that and he can write off his mistakes.

Glad this came up again as I took a long time thinking on this one.

I concluded that I was asking myself the wrong question :o

The difference between an individual researching and buying shares, and a fund company investing client's money is much more than research.

The fund has to usually invest in a very limited world, limited by scope and rules. The fund cannot go to 100% cash even if the fund manager knows the market is in for a big fall. And the fund manager cannot react quickly to divi's and special events.

And while a fund company's research might be better than mine I can to a large degree see the results of their research by the holdings they have. Yes they might act on short notice research but in reality due to the portfolio required by the rules they have little scope for large short-term profits.

Of course there are things that the fund can do that I cannot: out of hours trading, special discounts.

However regarding expenses, dependent on my strategy my overall trading costs are more or less equal to a fund.

So I don't think the two are comparable. They are very different animals. Horses for courses :)

Having thought about it I now have more sympathy for fund managers. Perhaps I'll send Mr Bolton a cheque ;)

But just my opinion :beer:
    I believe past performance is a good guide to future performance :beer:
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    srcandas wrote: »
    However regarding expenses, dependent on my strategy my overall trading costs are more or less equal to a fund.

I'm not quite sure you can assume this without knowing how much funds cost to trade?
  • srcandas
    srcandas Posts: 1,241
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lokolo wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure you can assume this without knowing how much funds cost to trade?

lokolo perhaps I should have said the cost of investing.

So if I play with £20000 share trading with each pound going in and out within a year my costs are less than 2% with a generous spread allowance and including stamp duty. A fund TER is about the same.

So I don't see expenses coming into my decision of which strategy is best. :beer:
    I believe past performance is a good guide to future performance :beer:
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    StevieJ wrote: »

Glad to see there is multiple bidders in ukraine, EXXON is largest gas driller in usa

srcandas wrote: »
    The fund cannot go to 100% cash even if the fund manager knows the market is in for a big fall. And the fund manager cannot react quickly to divi's and special events.

Depends on the fund, most arent that radical but if it produced results Im sure they would. Most funds are sheep held by sheep

I know a fund which went 100% short in 2008 and he gained 130% over that fall. Neptune Japan

Its done rubbish since but he has that tool and I presume others could

I took HOIL today as its valued 300m but they have 400m cash I believe plus natural gas assets in Iraq
    Also took some CHK as they struggle to balance books, very big gas assets again but a low price now makes it volatile. They have a new 3bn loan so are solvent but negative maybe, oil isnt going to plunge so gas also reasonable [long term]

Also gold stocks are dire. 1500 is possible within a positive gold market I believe

If I had sold all of CNR at 8p xmas I could buy it back for 4p now :mad: so is it sitting in concrete boots I wonder.
    Longer term the volume of 2010 and 11 were higher which makes stock still healthy? (lower volume x lower price = positive stock) They have Zero cashflow, I think ABG or any miner which is making profits now is better idea
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure